Computer builds

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2014
Hello, 7 years ago with the help of this forum, I built my first computer: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TjWj9c
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz, ASRock AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard, EVGA SuperSC 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory, Western Digital WD_BLACK 1 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive, XFX GTS Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card, Zalman Z9 NEO ATX Mid Tower Case, Corsair CX750 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply, LG Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer, Microsoft Windows 10 Home Retail - USB 32/64-bit
Unfortunately, more recently my PC often struggles to complete basic tasks such as Google Chrome, Slack, ~5 minutes to start/login, zoom meetings, etc. My PC has served me well over the past few years, but due to how slow it is for basic tasks I am seriously considering a full replacement, and am looking for genuine advice on potential upgrade paths! Over the past few years, I also used a MSI GS75 Stealth 8SE Laptop (8th Gen. Intel® Core™ i7 Processor, 17.3" FHD (1920x1080), 144Hz, IPS-Level, NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 with 6GB GDDR6). Unfortunately my laptop no longer boots up, not sure what the issue is, but it was great for light video editing, gaming, video streaming, etc. Additionally, I have a Galaxy Note9 128GB that I've had for ~ 6 years, Verizon Stream TV, Xbox One, 2012 Samsung 55" TV, and a few other assorted items. I originally suspected I had a RAM issue, maybe my HDD was failing, but now fear a 7-year-old system might just not have enough computing power to keep up anymore?

I hope this information helps to provide some perspective on my situation and I look forward to your advice!
My hope is to improve the technological efficiency of my systems while making upgrades that will improve my enjoyment/ quality of life.
The ability to play and potentially stream popular games like Helldivers 2 and R6 seems like a great target for me personally!

(My birthday is within the next two weeks and I'd love to try to time some upgrades around that, but am flexible on timing/ budget)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Just a BIOS update away and you can jump 3 generations ahead.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($167.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($17.89 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: EVGA SuperSC 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Crucial P3 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($68.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital WD_BLACK 1 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: XFX GTS Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Zalman Z9 NEO ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair CX750 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Retail - USB 32/64-bit (Purchased For $0.00)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer T3U Plus 802.11a/b/g/n/ac USB Type-A Wi-Fi Adapter (Purchased For $0.00)
Keyboard: Dell KB212-B Wired Standard Keyboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse (Purchased For $0.00)
Mouse: Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless Optical Mouse (Purchased For $0.00)
Webcam: Logitech StreamCam Webcam (Purchased For $0.00)
Custom: Acer KG240 A (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $253.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-03 15:52 EDT-0400

The guy above has the right idea. I had one of those boards and was actually running a 5900x in it for a bit.

Toss in a 5700x, swap the hard drive for an ssd and I can about guarantee your old pc will feel new again.

Down the road you could upgrade the graphics depending on budget. Something like an rx 7600 or higher with make a decent upgrade with the new cpu.

The thermalright cooler is great for the money.

Reactions: Computer builds

Computer builds

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2014
Hello, I am looking for guidance on streaming requirements! I am following the template.
I have previously used an RX 580 (still in my PC https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TjWj9c ) and MSI GS75 Stealth 8SE (8th Gen. Intel® Core™ i7 Processor, 17.3" FHD (1920x1080), 144Hz, IPS-Level, NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 with 6GB GDDR6).
My laptop no longer works and I am torn between a full-scale replacement on my old PC or minor upgrades.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next two weeks (birthday coming up and will be near a micro center))

BUDGET RANGE: Not sure I feel comfortable spending more than $400 on a CPU and $600 on a GPU, but have roughly 2k total for a full upgrade if needed.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming popular games Helldivers 2, Rainbow 6, etc.
Streaming, the ability to stream those games on twitch, youtube, etc.
Video Editing, the ability to edit clips and streams/ videos if necessary (Davinci resolve on the 2060 worked well for me in the past)
Google Chrome-based database/ spreadsheet work
Theater/watching movies

RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS/ CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Current Build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TjWj9c

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Microcenter in person is preferred COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: NY, USA

PARTS PREFERENCES:
My custom-built PC is AMD/ AMD my laptop was Intel/ Nvidia. I tend to find that AMD is better bang for your buck e.g. AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D.
I am mostly looking for guidance on if any brands have better streaming capabilities?
It seems to me like AMD still holds the edge on better gaming bang for your buck, but if Nvidia works better with Twitch that would be worth knowing!
I don't think I would benefit from Intel's better production capabilities, but streaming advice is hard to find on YouTube, its mostly saturated by gaming, thanks!

OVERCLOCKING: Not sure, would be open to it, but don't think I have in the past.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Currently have a Acer KG240 A (1920 x 1080 Full HD (1080p) @ 144 Hz - TN - 1 ms)
Would be interested in getting a new primary monitor with a higher resolution and potentially running a dual display with my current Acer being used as the secondary.
I would consider this as part of my total upgrade budget.

Lastly, a potential upgrade path I am considering: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7DT6gB

Thank you in advance for your advice and I hope to learn more about what is most recommended for streaming games!!

Lutfij

Titan
Flash the BIOS to the latest and you should be able to drop a 5000 series processor in. You will need to also swap out that PSU since it's more of a dumpster fire unit than something akin to a PSU. You could look at a RTX4060 but what is it you'll be primarily streaming to on Twitch?

If you plan to stream onto Discord, it has AV1 support so you might want to factor that in as well.

Computer builds

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2014
Oh wow, really great to hear that you had the board and ran a similar CPU!
Can't say I have played around with BIOS before, but the instructions seem simple enough: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350 Pro4/index.asp#BIOS

I assume I should be able to find a relatively simple guide online for swapping the HDD for an SSD. Would you recommend I toss the hard drive after that? Get a new one? Keep it for extra storage?

I will be visiting a micro center in person within the next 2 weeks for my birthday, so I will definitely be making some upgrades soon!

Any thoughts on this more expensive upgrade path? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7DT6gB

The guy above has the right idea. I had one of those boards and was actually running a 5900x in it for a bit.

Toss in a 5700x, swap the hard drive for an ssd and I can about guarantee your old pc will feel new again.

Down the road you could upgrade the graphics depending on budget. Something like an rx 7600 or higher with make a decent upgrade with the new cpu.

The thermalright cooler is great for the money.

Computer builds

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2014
Flash the BIOS to the latest and you should be able to drop a 5000 series processor in. You will need to also swap out that PSU since it's more of a dumpster fire unit than something akin to a PSU. You could look at a RTX4060 but what is it you'll be primarily streaming to on Twitch?

If you plan to stream onto Discord, it has AV1 support so you might want to factor that in as well.
Oh wow, well fortunately I have yet to light my house on fire!! What would you recommend? Also what makes it a "dumpster fire unit"? Would love to play it safe and invest a little more, definitely don't want to cause a fire! I assume after 7 years a PSU might need replacing regardless.

I was looking at the 4060s, but the 8 gigs of VRAM was my main concern. Especially when you seem to be able to get a slightly more powerful RX 7600 XT for roughly the same price? Does Nvidia have hidden benefits for gaming/ streaming that would not be evident solely in gaming tests or do the AMD cards outperform in both gaming and streaming?

I'm not sure what your last question is asking. I used OBS previously on my laptop and maybe tried a few other software options. I have used Discord, but never in connection with YouTube/ Twitch. I would hope to stream popular games, my video camera, voice, and potentially other people from Discord calls/ in-game chat.

kanewolf

Titan
Can't say I have played around with BIOS before, but the instructions seem simple enough: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350 Pro4/index.asp#BIOS

I assume I should be able to find a relatively simple guide online for swapping the HDD for an SSD. Would you recommend I toss the hard drive after that? Get a new one? Keep it for extra storage?

I will be visiting a micro center in person within the next 2 weeks for my birthday, so I will definitely be making some upgrades soon!

Any thoughts on this more expensive upgrade path? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7DT6gB
The one thing you can do that doesn't cost anything is to do a clean OS install and application reinstall. This would be especially beneficial with a 500GB SSD.

Computer builds

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2014
Hello,

I am planning on upgrading my current system for my birthday: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TjWj9c

This was a potential upgrade path I am considering: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7DT6gB

However, most people seem to suggest a BIOS update and a 5700x so far...
I have also been told to swap HDD to SSD (my computer can be unbearable slow sometimes) and told my PSU needs to be replaced.​
In task manager, I have also noticed that my CPU is handling around 245 processes right now, which seems high?​
I would love to get back to a place where I have enough processing power to play games, edit videos, and complete my work without my computer freezing. I would also love to have the ability to hop more fully into content creation and set myself up for both solid gaming and streaming capabilities. For me, the question still remains what is adequate? The 7800X3D seems really attractive to me, but would it really just be gross overkill for me? If so, who should use it, what should it be used for? I see it continually praised on Reddit and YouTube.

If you can help provide any guidance I would greatly appreciate it, my birthday is in about 2 weeks and I will be visiting a microcenter in person.
I definitely would love to have some fun for my birthday, but don't want to needlessly waste money on upgrades, thanks :)

Lutfij

Titan
The green labelled CX unit was horrible to begin with, it's a must avoid unit. The grey label was a little better but not something I'd power an RTX4060. To also add, yes a PSU will not output the same power as it did brand new, after 7 years, regardless of the unit's internal construction being good or bad.

You can stream content onto Discord standalone, that's what I meant. Other users tend to use Streamlabs and some multistream across multiple platforms, in which case you will need to verify if your resolution and bitrate are the same across all platforms(YT, Twitch, Facebook, to name a few).

The titles you will play will favor the card, since they tend to have an internal handshake with game devs for said titles. Some titles favor AMD while some titles favor Nvidia(although Intel is coming up from behind quick).

Others on this site will have their inputs as well to give, hang tight :)

Reactions: Computer builds

As far as the Asrock B350, when you update the bios, there are bridge bios versions in there. So you need to make sure to read, but you can't flash directly to the latest version. As I recall you'll have to flash it 2-3 times before you can go to the latest version.

On the newer configuration, not bad, no experience with the AM5 stuff though. However, I think for the extra 20-30 bucks, swap out the 7800 xt for a 7900 GRE.

Computer builds

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2014
What do you guys think of this build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pNXCPF

Type​
Item​
Price​
CPU
$269.99​
Motherboard
$145.99​
Memory
$83.99​
Storage
$139.99 @ Amazon​
Video Card
$599.99​
Power Supply
$109.99​
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
TOTAL
$1349.94

I am not thrilled with my storage (but I think prices have simply risen since I last purchased a Samsung 980 SSD) I also would love to get a temp-read LCD on the CPU for cooling. Lastly, would appreciate any case recommendations! I am shocked that external drives have been phased out lol. I also think I should probably get a new monitor to accompany the new graphics card. (I originally had an additional 2TB WD Blue, but thought it might be overkill for the PC, instead, I am thinking of trying to get into NAS/RAID/Server solutions for long-term digital picture storage down the line instead of paying for cloud storage).

Computer builds

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2014
I was originally planning on the AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 3-in-1 combo AMD Bundles: https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/bundle-and-save.aspx

I also noticed the Intel Core i7-13700K 3-in-1 combo for the same price Intel Bundles: https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/intel-bundle-and-save.aspx

I am wondering which CPU combo you would recommend. I have decided to go with a Nvidia card instead of my previous AMD loyalty due to wanting better streaming/ gaming performance. Looking to make this purchase within the next 3 days, thanks!

Build looks good....
You can save a few bucks and get a lian li 216 case, very good airflow case
use your old HDD to store your Photos and Music CDs
also use Newegg, Amazon, bestbuy, and B&H to price match the reast of the parts -the Mobo, ram, cpu combo < the combos are good just make sure the mobo offers what you need on it. for most people its fine.
i saved 60 bucks on my kids build that way.

Last edited: