Sep 30, 2022
Hello everyone!

I have a Laptop Dell Precision M4800 with i7-4810MQ CPU, with the latest BIOS update (the version of latest update was released in 2019)

I installed windows 10 on the HDD with UEFI Windows 10 which works properly.

I bought a new SSD Crucial MX500 250GB, and I wanted to replace the HDD by it and install Windows 10 on it with UEFI mode.

I converted the SSD from MBR to GPT, and i prepared the USB to be GPT and ready for UEFI installation

I installed windows 10 using the USB and after copying files and finishing the installation, windows will restart right?

After restarting, Dell logo appears, gets stuck and doesn't boot to Windows

I checked the boot sequence, it was Windows boot manager, then UEFI: MX500, then UEFI: USB, that means it is the proper sequence, and i tried to change the sequence and nothing happened, it doesn't want to boot to the windows, and Dell logo is still stuck

I tried to change system from UEFI to Legacy, converted the SSD to MBR again, and changed the bios settings to Legacy, and guess what happened!! The windows was installed properly on the SSD, and it managed to boot to the windows without any issues!

That means:

1- The HDD with UEFI : Works Properly
2- The HDD with Legacy : Works Properly
3- The SSD with Legacy : Works Properly
4- The SSD with UEFI : Doesn't Work!

I don't know what the secret is, or what is going on, that is something annoying to be honest, can anyone tell me what that is and what to do to deal with this issue?

Thanks in advance!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Partitioning drive based on mbr or gpt depends on bios set to legacy or uefi. Having either setting set -> then removing existing partition -> next new partition is formatted by Windows to mbr or gpt automatically. Nothing else is required.

Disconnect old hdd if running both same time. Set bios to uefi. Boot Win10 installer, delete partition, start new. Should be done then. Connect hdd later after Windows is installed to avoid boot manager weirdness.

Reactions: Antoin Marc
Sep 30, 2022
Partitioning drive based on mbr or gpt depends on bios set to legacy or uefi. Having either setting set -> then removing existing partition -> next new partition is formatted by Windows to mbr or gpt automatically. Nothing else is required.

Disconnect old hdd if running both same time. Set bios to uefi. Boot Win10 installer, delete partition, start new. Should be done then. Connect hdd later after Windows is installed to avoid boot manager weirdness.

I already disconnected the old HDD
And yes I did all steps u mentioned, changing the settings to uefi, with deleteing the partitions and new, windows insatallation gets done without any issue, but after finishing windows and it goes to restart, the dell logo appears without anything, it gets stuck

and i tried F12 to make manual one boot option , and i chose UEFi: MX500, and nothing happened, it doesn't want to boot

Sep 30, 2022
Seeing this, im wondering if it's to do with uefi+ fast boot. You can't boot to Windows at all, some there are lucky to eventually boot following shutdown. If you can get that far try disable it. Instructions how follows another link in link below.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Laptop-wont-boot-and-stuck-on-Dell-logo-Screen/td-p/7626209

There any fast boot settings in bios to try turn off?

Sorry, what do you mean by " fast boot " and " fast boot settings " ?

Sep 30, 2022
uefi has cached boot enries, there is chance that it still tryes to boot from old hdd when in uefi mode, try clearing cmos

I opened the laptop, and disconnected the CMOS battery for 10 minutes, then i connected it again to clear CMOS, that is beside reset BIOS

And i made windows installation on the SSD, and it finished and went to restart, and the same thing happened, the Dell logo got stuck again and didnt boot

To be honest, I started to believe that this model Dell Precision M4800 will never allow SSD UEFI system