[SOLVED] Need guidance. PC off for 9 months, new components needed, steps needed before booting

dankhyo

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
CPU: Intel i9-9900k
Motherboard: ASUS Z390 ROG Maximus XI Hero WiFi Intel LGA 1151 ATX
GPU: (previous) MSI RTX 2080 8GB Gaming X Trio
(current - in question) EVGA NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming Triple-Fan 12GB GDDR6X PCIe 4.0
Memory: 4x G.Skill Trident Z Royal 16GB DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16
PSU: Corsair RM 1000x 80+ Gold
Case: (previous) Corsair Crystal 460x Mid Tower
Cpu Cooler: (previous) Deepcool Captain 360 EX White RGB Liquid 360mm radiator
(current-to replace: Corsair iCUE H150i Elite 360mm radiator)
Storage: Intel 660p 1TB SSD 3D NAND QLC M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive
  • Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD 3-bit MLC V-NAND SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5"
  • Samsung PM981 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME
  • Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5"HDD
  • Kingston Savage 480 GB 2.5" SSD
  • Western Digital Blue 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM HDD

My main build has been off for over 9 months. Personal reasons, medical, and conflicts. My GPU (RTX 2080) was taken while I was away. BF thought it was cool to
"borrow it". So I bought a new one. RTX 3080 ti, which I have no idea where to put the PSU cables. There's 3 ports. My CPU cooler no longer works (damaged tubing)
so I need to replace it and bought a Corsair iCue H150i
My PC case no longer fits the new GPU and the radiator.
The problem is, I have not boot this PC in 9 months and the original parts when it was last booted are not in possession. My drives are set up a
certain way. I remember I had RAID set up. And I cannot remember how. If I could have backed it up before I knew I was going to be unable to use my main PC, I would have. I need to move the components to a new case. I have not put in the new GPU, CPU cooler, or even migrated to a new case. All the parts, besides the CPU and cooler, are still in the old case. How can I check what my drives were set before I migrate? Do I need a GPU to boot and go to desktop? I am so lost where to start, because I am scared if I boot it without the previous components or migrate, it will fry.
Where do I start before I even touch anything? The GPU and CPU cooler need to be replaced regardless. The storage, I have no idea where to start to check which drive was set up with what. I know they still need to be connected to the same ports.
This PC was not backed up for months or updated. I am scared to even try to boot it how it is.

Solution
my main concern is the damaged coolant line for your cpu.. is there any appearance of liquid damage anywhere in the case? that would be my first steps before even hooking power back up to it.

ive done a virtual build on partpicker. and i do not see any problems getting the new video card in the current case. it may take some planning to figure out where exactly you need to mount everything. take everything out and put it all back in again.

and if i re-read your question correctly.. the video card typically gets mounted in the top most pci-e x16 slot

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8ccRJM

before removing the many drives you have, i would label each drive, in accordance as to where they are plugged into the motherboard. as it...
As to the first Q: no, you don't need the card since that CPU has integrated graphics (obv way less powerful for games but runs desktop fine). If it boots and you can log in that way, you can evaluate your storage situation and back up files as needed.

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
my main concern is the damaged coolant line for your cpu.. is there any appearance of liquid damage anywhere in the case? that would be my first steps before even hooking power back up to it.

ive done a virtual build on partpicker. and i do not see any problems getting the new video card in the current case. it may take some planning to figure out where exactly you need to mount everything. take everything out and put it all back in again.

and if i re-read your question correctly.. the video card typically gets mounted in the top most pci-e x16 slot

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8ccRJM

before removing the many drives you have, i would label each drive, in accordance as to where they are plugged into the motherboard. as it was stated above, you can get the system to boot with the onboard graphics to sort out your raid setup. i would first check in the motherboard cmos/bios to determine for sure which ones are set in raid.

case:
Maximum Video Card Length
370 mm / 14.567"

video card:
Length
300 mm

as for clearance between the vid card and the cooler.. id possibly opt for a 280mm cooler instead of the 360mm.. top mount the cooler instead of face mounting it.

if you opt to keep the plan with the 360mm rad. it should run fine if you were to eliminate the middle fan, just have to keep tabs on the temps obviously.

Last edited:
Solution