ravagedman

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
So I'm just getting around to figuring this out. I built a new PC like 2 months ago with a 3700x and a 1070 from cl because i don't need a ton of graphics power(csgo, rocket league, some pubg etc). First thing that happens is the prism cooler spins for like a second when I hit the power button on the case, stops, and starts spinning again and the pc boots. The lights on the prism stay on throughout that sequence and the case fans act normally too. If I plug the prism into a case fan input on the motherboard, it spins like it should when I press the power button.
Second thing that happens is that my pc just randomly freezes just once after playing a game for like 20-30 minutes. Games perform great. Temps are fine (65-75C on cpu and 50-60C on gpu) and changing the smart fan thing in the bios doesn't do anything. And the weird part is that it's usually fine and doesn't freeze again until I switch games and it repeats. When it freezes, I can't alt+tab or ctrl+shift+tab, I have to ctrl+alt+delete and hit sign out to avoid manually shutting down. If I don't hurry up and do that, the PC totally freezes and I have to power off with the power button on the case.
Probably stupid part: if I'm not typing or listening to anything, windows will play the connected/disconnected sounds every 5-10 seconds which just bugs me if I'm trying to work or type this post in silence lol.
Full specs:
3700x
asus prime x470
16gb 3600 ram
750 watt psu
I'd appreciate any input yall got and I'll attempt to reply to any questions that could help asap. I have all the time in the world right now lol

Solution
Latest BIOS in mainboard?

Latest AMD chipset drivers?

Have you tried testing for stability by perhaps running a slightly lower RAM speed in XMP options? 3200 MHz, vice going straight for 3600 MHz, for instance..

Was this a fresh Win10 install with this mainboard/CPU/GPU? (Or a reboot with new CPU/mainboard, and a 'hope for the best'?) :)

I'd not worry about little momentary start/stop fan speed or LED action on CPU fan header as long as it works...

Have you tried testing for stability by perhaps running a slightly lower RAM speed in XMP options? 3200 MHz, vice going straight for 3600 MHz, for instance..

Was this a fresh Win10 install with this mainboard/CPU/GPU? (Or a reboot with new CPU/mainboard, and a 'hope for the best'?) :)

I'd not worry about little momentary start/stop fan speed or LED action on CPU fan header as long as it works...

Solution

ravagedman

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

I've checked the mobo and chipset like a million times, but checking again never hurts lol. I never considered the ram, but I could definitely try that. Okay so I installed windows from a flash drive that I put the iso on and then activated it using a windows 8 product key that Dell gave me forever ago when they replaced a daughterboard in one of my old laptops (unrelated but funny it worked). The cpu and mobo are brand new from microcenter and the 1070 is used from cl (the packaging says recertified by gigabyte, so its double-used but whatever lol).
The pause when I hit the power button is kind of annoying (~20 seconds to boot), but i guess. I found a guy on fb that is going to sell me his unused prism for like $40, so I'm going to try that because some forums discuss a bad cooler. Might be stupid, but I'm going to unplug it from the power strip and go directly into the wall too cuz why not