SemkeHG

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2015
Hi,

Just last night I replaced my i7-13700kf (Fried through 8 months of abuse with the Intel stuff) with a new i9-14900k.

The system runs fine and at first I didn't notice any problems, it's completely usable and doesn't crash. The throttling is clear during benchmarks/stress tests.
  • Intel XTU (CPU Stress Test): Instant Current and Power Throttling on test start however, no thermal throttling?
  • Cinebench (Multithread): Constant Thermal throttling a couple seconds after test start.
Extra things to note:
- BIOS has been updated to the newest official version and default settings set.
- The CPU has been running at 5700MHz-6000MHz right from the first boot and stays there even while idle on 2%-3% load (Not sure if this is normal).
- Idle temps are around 35 C - 45 C.

Full specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KXHqL9

I am not sure where to even begin with the troubleshooting as I am not well versed enough to know whether this is a power issue or a thermal issue with both tests showing either one or the other. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Lutfij

Titan
From my observation, you should've looked at a 360mm AIO at the very least to cool your processor, now that you went with an i9.

BIOS has been updated to the newest official version and default settings set.
Did you clear the CMOS after verifying your BIOS was flashed to the latest version?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The throttling is clear during benchmarks/stress tests.
That's a given result for running those programs on an unlocked i9 running on auto settings, such as vcore.
This can still happen with a 360mm AIO.

Even though you updated bios, there's still the question about which power delivery profile the motherboard is running after doing so:
ia9X6y7xCGN9zjKWQWwbHm.png

* Baseline Power Delivery Profiles are not recommended for 13th and 14th Gen K SKU Processors
Hwinfo will allow you to see how much power the cpu is drawing.

• Intel XTU (CPU Stress Test): Instant Current and Power Throttling on test start however, no thermal throttling?
  • Cinebench (Multithread): Constant Thermal throttling a couple seconds after test start.
One runs the harder AVX instructions by default, the other doesn't.

I am not sure where to even begin with the troubleshooting as I am not well versed enough to know whether this is a power issue or a thermal issue with both tests showing either one or the other. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
There's really nothing to troubleshoot. You just jumped the gun a bit fast.
If these tests represent how you're going to use the cpu, then I'd say you have a little tinkering to do - a larger cooler would make it more manageable though.
If they don't, then leave it be.

SemkeHG

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2015
From my observation, you should've looked at a 360mm AIO at the very least to cool your processor, now that you went with an i9.

BIOS has been updated to the newest official version and default settings set.
Did you clear the CMOS after verifying your BIOS was flashed to the latest version?
I did consider a larger AIO however after some research saw that this may be good enough for now and i'd look to invest in one later.
That's a given result for running those programs on an unlocked i9 running on auto settings, such as vcore.
This can still happen with a 360mm AIO.

Even though you updated bios, there's still the question about which power delivery profile the motherboard is running after doing so:
I did just try resetting the CMOS, and also setting the "Intel Profile" to performance as it was previously on extreme. Of course i'm not looking to run this CPU into the ground.

This time around I noticed that the Current/EDP Throttling is actually happening even on idle, this is syncing up with some "Performance Limit Reasons" under hwinfo, which I cannot decode.. Reference below:

View: https://imgur.com/a/jzJEgYL