Nov 19, 2020
Hi guys I recently replaced my motherboard as my PC was not working - and picked up an Asus Strix Z270-I , which according to pcpartpicker is compatible with the rest of my build which consists of :
  • i5 6500 CPU
  • Palit 750ti GPU
  • Kingston HyperX Fury 2x 4Gb RAM
  • 480W EVGA PSU

What happened with my old PC is it turned off and failed to display anything when powering on, then one time it worked fine and when it worked it was running good till I shut down again. Ever since then it did not display anything other than a black screen.

Inutially I thought it was a faulty PSU but replacing it with a working one resulted in the same thing. Then I read up about beep codes (mine does not beep but the case LEDs flash instead -I presume it is the same thing as I just do not have integrated speakers).

Removing the GPU and using integrated graphics outputs the same error, I tried using only 1 RAM stick at a time, as I said I replaced the Mobo too.

My motherboard now always has a red LED next to the GPU (although I heard that it is there not as a diagnostic but just to be there for no reason) and an orange qLED next to the RAM.

i don't really have any replacement components so would have to buy new ones - do you guys think it is more likely to be faulty RAM or CPU or perhaps something else?

Nov 19, 2020
Hi all I recently switched motherboards to attempt to fix my PC - the new one I got is ASUS z270-I and there is a constant orange qLED on denoting a DRAM error (which is supported by the 1 long, 2 short led flashing pattern).

Now my question is, given when the PC turns on a red LED lights first (which is the CPU LED) but it switches off and goes to Orange , does that mean my CPU is working? I need to get replacement parts to fox the PC and don't want to order RAM only to find out more RAM sticks do not fix the issue.

Hi guys I recently replaced my motherboard as my PC was not working - and picked up an Asus Strix Z270-I , which according to pcpartpicker is compatible with the rest of my build which consists of :
  • i5 6500 CPU
  • Palit 750ti GPU
  • Kingston HyperX Fury 2x 4Gb RAM
  • 480W EVGA PSU
What happened with my old PC is it turned off and failed to display anything when powering on, then one time it worked fine and when it worked it was running good till I shut down again. Ever since then it did not display anything other than a black screen.

Inutially I thought it was a faulty PSU but replacing it with a working one resulted in the same thing. Then I read up about beep codes (mine does not beep but the case LEDs flash instead -I presume it is the same thing as I just do not have integrated speakers).

Removing the GPU and using integrated graphics outputs the same error, I tried using only 1 RAM stick at a time, as I said I replaced the Mobo too.

My motherboard now always has a red LED next to the GPU (although I heard that it is there not as a diagnostic but just to be there for no reason) and an orange qLED next to the RAM.

i don't really have any replacement components so would have to buy new ones - do you guys think it is more likely to be faulty RAM or CPU or perhaps something else?
Check this asus forum; it shows the role of leds
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?95305-Z270i-Orange-Led-always-on-What-does-it-mean

Lutfij

Titan
The problem with troubleshooting is that you either need spare parts to rule out one part or more out of the equation of potential problems or you need access to a shop or more parts than your own to find the culprit in your system.

Now, what is the age of the PSU and what is the model of the EVGA unit? You might want to inspect the CPU socket for any bent or broken pins on the motherboard as this can be the cause for haphazard LED's flashing when they are functional on other system's.

Speaking of other system's, you can take the parts(ram and GPU) and see if they work on a donor system. If they do, then you've removed two parts from your list of troublemakers.

Nov 19, 2020
I only have a spare motherboard (the old one) and a spare PSU, the PC doesn't work eith neither of them and the LED on the new Mobo show it's a memory error - I take it as a RAM issue though am hesitant that 2 crashed at the same time (though maybe 1 crashed prior).

Could it be anything else at this point? The CPU is allegedly working since the LED on the Mobo passed the red light check.

TRENDING THREADS