auzzle

Honorable
Jul 2, 2014
I am driving myself nuts here trying to solve this. A few days ago we had network problems and a tech came out and gave us a new modem while splitting our tv and internet lines. So now we have two modems. One serves the internet and the other is for phone and TV. I run a Minecraft server from a secondary PC in my house and once the tech completed his work I can no longer access it. I have factory reset both modem and router. I have internet on bot computer they are able to go on amazon etc. But I cannot connect to them publicly, only through the local IPV 4 through direct connect. Not sure if it has anything to do with the problem but the server says 'network 2' while my gaming pc says the SSID. Both on a wired connection, wired through the same switch. I also bought a new router (thinking that was the problem before the tech came) and I was using that which worked before he came on minecraft. Now, it works on neither. I Have triple checked the IPV 4 addresses everytime I restart the PC, router etc so I know it is all port forward correctly. This whole this is really confusing because my gaming pc says 'network no internet' but I can open new websites and literally write this post while it says that. I have no idea.

I have used CMD to flush dns, release and renew and reset adapter.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Solution
"tracert 8.8.8.8" is showing two routers (192.168.1.1 and192.168.0.1).

There should only be one router.

Disable the router functions in the new modem (192.168.0.1) and use the Netgear AC1000 (192.168.1.1) as the main (only) router.

Set up all port-forwarding etc. through the Netgear Router.

Regarding the Arris DG3450 (new modem) - no telephone line jack/port - correct?

User Guide link:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1629559/Arris-Touchstone-Dg3270.html?page=18#manual

Link for the Arris TM822G Modem

https://d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/TM822_User_Guide_Std1-2-1415734020.pdf

Is it possible for you to temporarily remove the Arris TM822 modem?

As noted by @bill001g, I am wondering...

auzzle

Honorable
Jul 2, 2014
Im going to make it short and sweet
Port forwarded internet stuff worked (MC Server, Gmod Server, Plex)
Internet Tech Came to give us new modem; also spilt our tv + phone line from the internet (we have 2 modems now)
My servers don't work now.

What I tried:
In CMD Flush DNS, Release + renew settings
Different router
penta-checked ports are forwarded to correct ipv 4.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

auzzle

Honorable
Jul 2, 2014
Two modems? Different router?

Makes and models plus how connected?

Example:

ISP----> Modem #1 -----> Different Router -----> wired devices and ~~~~> wireless devices.

Where is Modem #2 and the original router?
Coax into Splitter

Splitter 1--> Original Modem (Phone and TV lines now)
Splitter 2 --> New Modem (Has the built in router disabled) -->ethernet to router--> router to network switch --> switch to my pc and server.

I only have one active router.

Ralston18

Titan
Coax into splitter (1 input, 2 output).

Output 1 ---> Original modem etc....

Output 2 ---> New modem etc...

ISP? Xfinity/Comcast by any chance? In any case, what make and model modems?

Okay with the new modem having its' built in router disabled and just the one (new) router being enabled.

However, I do not understand why the Original Modem was left in place.

My expectation would be:

ISP --coax --> Splitter ----> Output #1 ---> New Modem with a RJ11 port for telephone lines and WAN port to the router.

Then Splitter Output #2 would serve the TV's with additional splitters as necessary to reach all TV's.

Are you paying for two internet connections? Not sure about how the ISP knows which modem is "your" modem.

From your server and then from another computer run "tracert 8.8.8.8" via the command prompt.

Post the results.

auzzle

Honorable
Jul 2, 2014
ISP: RCN
Output 1: (Phone) Model: Arris TM822G
Output 2 (New Modem) (Internet) Model :Arris DG3450
Router: Netgear AC1000

Yes thats correct. The only modem is there for the telephone line with RJ-11
No just one internet connection. I am the only one in the house that uses it.
Here is the results.

192.168.0.1 is the router built into the new modem. I theorizes early on that it had to be port forwarded on that device. I called their support earlier and while i can visit 192.168.0.1 i cannot login because its not activated (we didn't want to pay for their router when we have our own). It also is probably worth mentioning that the SSID for the New Arris shows up when searching Arris and Arris 5G. I confirmed with the tech that he didnt activate the router and he confirmed and showed it to me on his phone.

Ralston18

Titan

Disable the router functions in the new modem (192.168.0.1) and use the Netgear AC1000 (192.168.1.1) as the main (only) router.

User Guide link:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1629559/Arris-Touchstone-Dg3270.html?page=18#manual

https://d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/TM822_User_Guide_Std1-2-1415734020.pdf

As noted by @bill001g, I am wondering about your public IP address (do not publish it) being assigned to your "residence". Which modem, by MAC is functioning?

Do a "What is my IP address" check online to determine what IP address you currently have. Again do not publish or post that IP address.

Solution

auzzle

Honorable
Jul 2, 2014

User Guide link:

As noted by @bill001g, I am wondering about your public IP address (do not publish it) being assigned to your "residence". Which modem, by MAC is functioning?

Do a "What is my IP address" check online to determine what IP address you currently have. Again do not publish or post that IP address.
The problem was indeed the router inside the modem. They said it was disabled after multiple calls to support and we couldn't even login to the gateway. Had to go pick up a standalone modem without a router and all is back to normal. The "tracert 8.8.8.8" command is what really helped identify the problem.