Sep 7, 2020
Never posted on a forum before but Im getting out of ideas and really need some help.

I bought a serial code of Windows 10 Home, got sent an invalid key, contacted the seller to get a new one. They provided me with a W10 Pro key which I wasn’t aware of until I got a notification saying upgrade current version of Windows during the verifying process. I didn’t mind this as I was having previous issues with a cracked version of Windows.

Anyway, everything seemed to be working fine for a couple hours until the first Blue Screen appeared. These BSOD continued to appear after some usage, including various error messages talking about memory or the CPU kernel. The final time my pc crapped out didn’t have a BSOD.

Now, the computer will turn on because I can see the lights & fans are working but no signal is sent to either of my two monitors. I have exhausted everything I can think of involving rebuilding the PC, changing the hdmi to output through the motherboard, unplugging both of my hard drives sperately to see if either will load anything, connecting to my TV and still absolutely nothing appears !

Most of my main components are relatively new, my specs are:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700k
GeForce GTX 980
MSI Gaming Pro Carbon
32GB Vengance Pro
Seagate 1TB HDD (This is old, maybe 7 years)
Samsung 256GB Pro SSD
EVGA 650W

I believe it’s something related to the hard drives as they are much older than the rest of computer however that doesn’t explain why it not showing anything at all now.

Any advice or suggestions as to what it could be would be greatly appreciated and you’ll save me from pulling out all my hair.

Also quick question: might seem stupid but could I take my PC to a shop to fix it considering I built it myself and there’s no general warranty on the entire machine?

Thanks a lot

Solution
A completely unactivated Win 10 install...indeed never activated Win 10 install...will run with NO problem, it appears forever.

I have a Win 10 Pro installed in a VM, to test exactly this. Just to see what happens.
First stood up on Dec 8 2016. Been running 24/7 since, and has gotten all updates as they appeared.
No license key, ever.

Currently, v2004, Build 19041.450

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I bought a serial code of Windows 10 Home, got sent an invalid key, contacted the seller to get a new one. They provided me with a W10 Pro key which I wasn’t aware of until I got a notification saying upgrade current version of Windows during the verifying process. I didn’t mind this as I was having previous issues with a cracked version of Windows.

I would very first suggest that you consider just downloading the official image from Microsoft. Cracked versions and grey market keys can get really messy.

I honestly didn't look much further as to your possible hardware issue(s). Can't really blame "official" software when you are not using it based on what I read here.

GL

Sep 7, 2020
I would very first suggest that you consider just downloading the official image from Microsoft. Cracked versions and grey market keys can get really messy.

I honestly didn't look much further as to your possible hardware issue(s). Can't really blame "official" software when you are not using it based on what I read here.

GL

The ISO was downloaded from Microsoft and the serial key should be legitimate if it’s recognised through the validation and upgrade process surely?

Sep 7, 2020
That is a maybe.
What was licensed yesterday may not be licensed today. I've seen this personally.

Where did this license key come from?

Ok, I wasn’t aware this might be a problem. Bought from G2A from a verified seller with thousands of positive reviews. Would this correlate to the hardware issues I’m facing now?

USAFRet

Titan
A completely unactivated Win 10 install...indeed never activated Win 10 install...will run with NO problem, it appears forever.

I have a Win 10 Pro installed in a VM, to test exactly this. Just to see what happens.
First stood up on Dec 8 2016. Been running 24/7 since, and has gotten all updates as they appeared.
No license key, ever.

Currently, v2004, Build 19041.450

Solution