Oct 28, 2021
Hello everyone,

I am about to buy a new macbook pro M1pro/max for video editing and I am not clear about the size of internal storage as it's often recommended to seperate OS & software from footage and media cache. So I thought taking a smaller internal drive + an external Thunderbolt 3 drive would be the best option moneywise and performancewise. On the other hand having no external drive is more portable and I would also like to understand what's the background and the bottleneck here. As that internal pcie drive has 4+ lanes i thought it should have enough speed for parallel read and write so I don't understand why using an external drive is faster. But that's just my amateurs knowledge. On the other hand I don't know if the hardware architecture of those new macs changes something which makes external drives for boosting performance at video editing obsolet.

So my question basically comes done to „Should I choose the more expensive and therefore more portable and now maybe?? even faster solution of pure internal storage with no data seperation or is the cheaper solution with external drives still faster in 2021?

May somebody give me some wise insights? :)

Kind regards,
Fabian

Hello everyone,

I am about to buy a new macbook pro M1pro/max for video editing and I am not clear about the size of internal storage as it's often recommended to seperate OS & software from footage and media cache. So I thought taking a smaller internal drive + an external Thunderbolt 3 drive would be the best option moneywise and performancewise. On the other hand having no external drive is more portable and I would also like to understand what's the background and the bottleneck here. As that internal pcie drive has 4+ lanes i thought it should have enough speed for parallel read and write so I don't understand why using an external drive is faster. But that's just my amateurs knowledge. On the other hand I don't know if the hardware architecture of those new macs changes something which makes external drives for boosting performance at video editing obsolet.

So my question basically comes done to „Should I choose the more expensive and therefore more portable and now maybe?? even faster solution of pure internal storage with no data seperation or is the cheaper solution with external drives still faster in 2021?

Kind regards,
Fabian
I'm not well versed with new Macs but in general, some PCIe lines ar provided by CPU and some from chipset i which case you have 2 sources for them You need to have good look at capabilities of particular PC.

Hello everyone,

Kind regards,
Fabian
Forget that external drive stuff and keep it simple.
Get a big enough m.2 and be done with it.