cleb94

Prominent
Apr 11, 2021
Hello!

I've seen some other people experiencing similar problems with games crashing with 144hz refresh rate on the monitor.
The problem is that my PC is brand new and really need some advice on how to solve this problem.

This happens when I'm playing (whatever game) and the computer restarts on its own. No blue screen, nothing... Just a "normal" restart after like 30 minutes of gaming. Sometimes less.

I don't know if it's the GPU or some other component but this only happens when the refresh rate of the monitor is above 60hz. Otherwise no issues.

I've updated my Windows 10, installed the most recent Nvidia drivers after DDU them and the problem presists.

Please if someone can help or give me some advice I'll be very appreciated.

My specs:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
MSI Z490-A PRO
Intel Core i7 11700K @ 3.60GHz
Asus TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 OC
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600MHz 16x2
Corsair iCUE H100i cooler
WD SN750 NVMe 1TB SSD M.2
Corsair TX850M 850W

Solution
Download HWinfo, and check the voltages there. Run aida64 instead of prime, as aida allow you to stress your entire system, not just the cpu. Check the voltages there and then. Your issue is with the gpu, not the cpu. Running prime95 would be pretty much pointless.

Also, have you checked if the cables on the card are fully plugged in? Sometimes a loose cable might act funny like that.

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
The first culprit I think of is the PSU )power supply) when this happens,
Do you know the name and model of the PSU?
Also the Name and model of your PC or just a rundown of the parts will be helpful

cleb94

Prominent
Apr 11, 2021
The first culprit I think of is the PSU )power supply) when this happens,
Do you know the name and model of the PSU?
Also the Name and model of your PC or just a rundown of the parts will be helpful

The PSU is the corsair TX850M 850W... The rest of the parts are in my first post as well under "my specs".

Thank you for the help.

Reactions: Bassman999

cleb94

Prominent
Apr 11, 2021
The PSU should be well up to the task if it is functioning properly.
Maybe an issue with the card itself.
Have you dont any benchmarks or stress test apps?

I do have them. But I don't know what kind of test I need to run to find the problem. Or which app is the best.

What do you recommend?

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
I do have them. But I don't know what kind of test I need to run to find the problem. Or which app is the best.

What do you recommend?
You can try Prime95 and Furmark and keep an eye on the 12V value, if it drops below 11.7V your PSU is the problem.
Test ram with memtest86+
You can use Open hardware monitor while testing to watch temps and voltages etc.

Reactions: cleb94

cleb94

Prominent
Apr 11, 2021
You can try Prime95 and Furmark and keep an eye on the 12V value, if it drops below 11.7V your PSU is the problem.
Test ram with memtest86+
You can use Open hardware monitor while testing to watch temps and voltages etc.

I did the benchmark test on Furmark and I don't think there was any problem there.
But I didn't do the stress test because on the Open Hardware monitor I can't find the voltage indicator anywhere.

Is there a way to share a print screen here? So I can show you.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Download HWinfo, and check the voltages there. Run aida64 instead of prime, as aida allow you to stress your entire system, not just the cpu. Check the voltages there and then. Your issue is with the gpu, not the cpu. Running prime95 would be pretty much pointless.

Also, have you checked if the cables on the card are fully plugged in? Sometimes a loose cable might act funny like that.

Last edited:
Solution

cleb94

Prominent
Apr 11, 2021

Do I need to worry about the temperatures of the CPU during the stress tests? At what max temperature is it ok?

Yes, I checked the cables the first time it started crashing. Doesn't look like it has bad wiring. Might do another check though after the tests.

Also, does it matter if it's a display port or hdmi cable?

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
It's a new build so temps shouldn't be a concearn. I don't know what's the avg temp that that cpu reaches. Try to look around. Intel usually gets hotter due to higher wattages. So I'd say anything below 90 degrees should be fine (i also don't know what cooling solution you're using and that influences it). Take notes of the voltages and temperatures on the cpu and gpu with hwinfo as you're running aida 64 after 15 minutes. Try to run the test for at least 30 minutes as your pc restarts around that time.

Hdmi / display port shouldn't matter as your pc restarts after a while. And besides that wouldn't cause your pc to restart. You'd simply lose input or at worst case scenario graphic's driver crashing. But not a whole system crash.

Last edited:

cleb94

Prominent
Apr 11, 2021
It's a new build so temps shouldn't be a concearn. I don't know what's the avg temp that that cpu reaches. Try to look around. Intel usually gets hotter due to higher wattages. So I'd say anything below 90 degrees should be fine (i also don't know what cooling solution you're using and that influences it). Take notes of the voltages and temperatures on the cpu and gpu with hwinfo as you're running aida 64 after 15 minutes. Try to run the test for at least 30 minutes as your pc restarts around that time.

Hdmi / display port shouldn't matter as your pc restarts after a while. And besides that wouldn't cause your pc to restart. You'd simply lose input or at worst case scenario graphic's driver crashing. But not a whole system crash.

Ok I will do that...

Another thing,
when I tried to start the stress test with aida64 there was a popup message that said the following:

"The Windows video driver Timeout Detection and Recovery delay (TdrDelay) value is configured too low. It may cause the video driver to be reset while runnning the AIDA64 System Stability Test.
Do you want to fix this issue now?
Please note that you need to restart the Windows after altering the TdrDelay value."

Can this be my whole problem while I'm in game? Or is it just a normal popup before the test with aida64?

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
"It's quite self-explanatory I believe There's a Windows video driver setting used for video driver recovery purposes. If it's set too low, the OpenCL kernel that AIDA64 uses for GPU stressing may cause Windows to think the video driver has stopped responding. In which case Windows would restart the video driver, which would then break the AIDA64 GPU stress testing cycle. So it's best to have the TdrDelay value configured at a high level. AIDA64 will check the TdrDelay value, and if it's lower than 8 seconds, it will show you that popup warning message. If you let it fix the issue for you, it will increase the TdrDelay value to 8 seconds. " "Please note that the TdrDelay value only has an effect on the AIDA64 System Stability Test when the GPU stress testing is enabled. A too short delay will cause Windows to recover (restart) the video driver during the OpenCL based GPU stress testing session. "

Taken straight from the aida64 forum, a reply from a developer. So no, it's a normal message that "warns" you aida64 needs to change the tdrDelay value to 8 in order to not make windows think the driver crashed during the stress test rendeding it null.

cleb94

Prominent
Apr 11, 2021
Also, i looked at the 11700k, and apparently it can peak at around 104 degrees, that's insane lol. So don't worry if you see temps at around 100 degrees.

I just ran did the stress test during 40 minutes and nothing happened.
Everything was ok.
The 12v voltage was within 11.88ish v, and GPU temperature around 61/62º
The CPU around 100º, never more than that.

So, conclusions? I have no idea what's wrong with anything then.

Should I run other tests?

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
I just ran did the stress test during 40 minutes and nothing happened.
Everything was ok.
The 12v voltage was within 11.88ish v, and GPU temperature around 61/62º
The CPU around 100º, never more than that.

So, conclusions? I have no idea what's wrong with anything then.

Should I run other tests?
Mhm.... This is quite the weird scenario... Do you have any other apps in the background that might interfere with the refresh rate while you play? The weirdest thing is that your pc reboots after 30 minutes, so it's not like it's immediate after you switch refresh rate. Is the display in windows at 144hz (like in advanced display settings). Also is game bar turned off? Another thing you could try is to uninstall nvidia drivers and reinstall them WITHOUT the geforce experience.

Also, what exactly happens when the pc reboots? It simply does as if you pressed the reset button on your case or it does some weird fps drops before restarting? Because of it's a normal reboot it might also be the front panel cables.

cleb94

Prominent
Apr 11, 2021
Mhm.... This is quite the weird scenario... Do you have any other apps in the background that might interfere with the refresh rate while you play? The weirdest thing is that your pc reboots after 30 minutes, so it's not like it's immediate after you switch refresh rate. Is the display in windows at 144hz (like in advanced display settings). Also is game bar turned off? Another thing you could try is to uninstall nvidia drivers and reinstall them WITHOUT the geforce experience.

I've already done that. Installing the drivers like that I mean.
I don't think I have other apps interfering. What apps could be doing that?
And yes I have it on 144hz the whole time.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Also, what exactly happens when the pc reboots? It simply does as if you pressed the reset button on your case or it does some weird fps drops before restarting? Because if it's a normal reboot it might also be the front panel cables defected and shorting the reset pins on your motherboard resetting the computer.

Other than that i really have no clues what the cause could be I'm afraid.

cleb94

Prominent
Apr 11, 2021
Also, what exactly happens when the pc reboots? It simply does as if you pressed the reset button on your case or it does some weird fps drops before restarting? Because if it's a normal reboot it might also be the front panel cables.

Yes, it does like a little glitch in sound and video before it restarts.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
<Mod Edit> me mate... The only solutions i think i have left are either reinstalling windows (i know it's a pain in the butt) or trying the gpu on another machine. Other than that i really have no clue at this point I'm afraid 😅

Last edited by a moderator:

cleb94

Prominent
Apr 11, 2021
<Mod Edit> me mate... The only solutions i think i have left are either reinstalling windows (i know it's a pain in the butt) or trying the gpu on another machine. Other than that i really have no clue at this point I'm afraid 😅

ahahahah ikr, this whole thing is super weird and I'm finding this painfully complicated to solve xD
but thank you so much for the help... learned a lot with all this tests.
I might reinstall windows at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
No problem dude and good luck. Usually when it's something so ridicolous the fix is as much if not more ridicolous. Yeah reinstalling windows is a good idea. let me.know if that will fix it when you eventually come around and do it.

cleb94

Prominent
Apr 11, 2021
Look in Windows event viewer. If windows crashed or restarted there is almost always a log there (critical error, red flagged) of why.

I found the errors that originated the reboot of windows while playing.
It has a long code number.
And then other information about a kernel power event 41.

Do you want me to share the error details?

cleb94

Prominent
Apr 11, 2021
Nome do registo:System
Origem: Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting
Data: 10/04/2021 16:44:49
ID do evento: 1001
Categoria de Tarefa:Nenhum
Nível: Erro
Palavras-chave:Clássica
Utilizador: N/D
Computador: DESKTOP-9KFPDJC
Descrição:
O computador foi reiniciado a partir de uma verificação de erro. A verificação de erro foi: 0x00000116 (0xffffca0408df0010, 0xfffff8074d0f2518, 0xffffffffc000009a, 0x0000000000000004). Foi guardada uma imagem de erro em: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. ID do relatório: ceb09f91-8d10-444f-bcd0-9566fea4d5c3.
Evento Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting" Guid="{ABCE23E7-DE45-4366-8631-84FA6C525952}" EventSourceName="BugCheck" />
<EventID Qualifiers="16384">1001</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2021-04-10T15:44:49.6868866Z" />
<EventRecordID>2657</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-9KFPDJC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">0x00000116 (0xffffca0408df0010, 0xfffff8074d0f2518, 0xffffffffc000009a, 0x0000000000000004)</Data>
<Data Name="param2">C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP</Data>
<Data Name="param3">ceb09f91-8d10-444f-bcd0-9566fea4d5c3</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Sorry but my native language is portuguese xD. That's why part of the text is in that language :p