Feb 26, 2021
Hi !

So I bought basically a new pc put keeping parts from the previous one (power supply, hard drives, gpu) and I have a really weird issue with my new setup.

the computer boots just fine and I can access the bios when the gpu is not there. But when I add it, nothing posts... all black no response ! It worked just fine this afternoon on the old setup so it's not a bad gpu and I made sure that the 6-pins power plug was correctly plugged (the fan spins). I actually tried a lot of times... I tried using the other pci-e slot, plugging my display on the motherboard or the gpu, removing a stick of ram, but nothing did the trick.

I also tried messing around with some bios parameters without any success. I've run out of ideas and Google does not seem to be my friend today :(

here are my specs:

new:
i5-10600k
msi b460 tomahawk
g.skill f4-3200c16d-16 GVK (2x8Go)

old:
Zotac gtx 1060 mini 3 GB
1 120Go SSD, 1 2To HD and 1 250Go HD
good old 500W power supply

Rosewill DR-8500btx
It's a bad psu for modern hardware. Pretty low quality and has double forward with groupregulation. For modern standards it isn't a 500w psu but 370w because that what's available at 12V. I recommend to replace that unit.

And why a 10600K on B460? A K cpu is for overclocking and with B460 you can't OC.
3200 MT/s ram is useless on B460. On that board with a i5, ram never runs faster than 2666!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Oof. There's no guarantee the PSU is causing this, but it's the logical next step. This PSU should be replaced under any circumstance; a decade-old Rosewill, before they started shelling out money to proper manufacturers, designed to run the very different PCs from two decades ago is not something that should be inside a modern PC ever. In any case, getting a junk PSU out of the equation is a necessary step to diagnosing the problem.

Feb 26, 2021
The 10600k was on sale making it the same price as the not K. Plus, maybe my fault because I didn't specify, but the msi MAG b460 tomahawk can definitely OC.

But your comments on the power supply make sense. I will look further into this.

Thx !

Feb 26, 2021
Oof. There's no guarantee the PSU is causing this, but it's the logical next step. This PSU should be replaced under any circumstance; a decade-old Rosewill, before they started shelling out money to proper manufacturers, designed to run the very different PCs from two decades ago is not something that should be inside a modern PC ever. In any case, getting a junk PSU out of the equation is a necessary step to diagnosing the problem.
It's a bad psu for modern hardware. Pretty low quality and has double forward with groupregulation. For modern standards it isn't a 500w psu but 370w because that what's available at 12V. I recommend to replace that unit.

And why a 10600K on B460? A K cpu is for overclocking and with B460 you can't OC.
3200 MT/s ram is useless on B460. On that board with a i5, ram never runs faster than 2666!

Changed my psu to a thermaltake smart 500W. It didn't change a thing.

I also updated the bios, updated windows just in case. Nothing.