Nov 17, 2019
Watch the "colorful" language, please. Thank you.
Let‘s start by telling you guys what exactly happened, a couple days ago i‘d say about a week. We had a power outage and my pc obviously turned off, after turning it back on and simply just starting up google chrome it froze, no bluescreen, no nothing.. So i thought, huh maybe that‘s just some weird thing thats gonna happen once and then stop happening, therfore i hard reset my pc and got it working for another like 8 hours until it happened again and thats where i started getting worried.

Next day, i ran a memtest86+ to make sure it wasn‘t my ram as i have vengeance ram which is known to fail, passed without a single error.

Next up i decided to remove all devices connected to my pc i didn‘t need, still froze.

After doing that i decided to remove all the drivers and reinstall the ones i needed (was a pain <<edited>> , it froze sometimes before i even got to remove some of them), still after doing that my pc wouldn‘t stop freezing. So i decided to install Kubuntu to check if some windows update was making me any issues, and surprisingly linux (kubuntu) managed to run ALMOST flawless with just a couple stutters every like 10 hours.

After that i decided to even install mac os, yes i ran a <<edited>> Ryzentosh which is cool but back to the topic, it froze as well, even during the installation process. So i turned off my pc and waited a whole day without any power going into my pc, tried installing it again and it went flawless, managed to boot into mac os and ran it for about 4-5 hours until it froze again, which to me confirmed, it‘s hardware related.

Note: I managed to get a bluescreen on windows once which was a Clock_watchdog_timeout

My PC Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
Cooler: AMD wrath cooler
Motherboard: B450 Aorus Pro
GPU: Asus AMD radeon rx vega 64
RAM: 16gb of LPX Vengeance RAM running at 2400mhz
SSD: Toshiba 256gb
HDD: Toshiba 1tb
PSU: corsair TX750M

What could be causing this issue?

CPU? Mobo? or maybe the psu?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Yes, the power outage can damage any device. The GPU swap is easy and helps to isolate the possible issues. If the system works with the 1060, then we are down to the GPU and/or PSU as the most likely devices of concern.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Nov 17, 2019
Are you running the most current BIOS for your motherboard? If not, I suggest installing and then confirming all of your BIOS settings afterward.

Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?

Have you run Windows System File Checker to determine if you have any corrupted system files (from the power failure shutdown)?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...er-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Bios is updated to the newest version, i don‘t believe that the system files are corrupted as it‘s even happening on mac os, mac os actually gave me a report back which i will post in a second as i get on my laptop. (btw nothing is overclocked, i don‘t mess with that stuff)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Understood. You always check the easy stuff to rule those issues out.

Do you have access to another GPU to swap into your system? Intent is to isolate the problem. Your power hungry Vega could be the issue from the symptoms you describe.

Nov 17, 2019
Understood. You always check the easy stuff to rule those issues out.

Do you have access to another GPU to swap into your system? Intent is to isolate the problem. Your power hungry Vega could be the issue from the symptoms you describe.
but it was running several month without issues? could the psu have gone bad? and yes i believe i have a 1060 laying around somewhere

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yes, the power outage can damage any device. The GPU swap is easy and helps to isolate the possible issues. If the system works with the 1060, then we are down to the GPU and/or PSU as the most likely devices of concern.

Solution
Nov 17, 2019

Well, that's gonna be some work, i believe that i have to probably reinstall mac os, because if i don't the amd drivers might have issues with the 1060, i honestly thought it was the cpu for some reason