Jan 30, 2020
I recently upgraded my pc with a ryzen 5 3600 and new ram. Everything worked fine for a couple of days until today while playing fortnite and messing with settings the screen turns off but fans and stuff still spin. I turn off the pc and then turn it back on. Fans spin, leds light up on motherboard and graphics card, but fans dont spin on the graphics card and it doesn't post. The speaker also doesnt make any noise. My power supply is some kind of rose will 500w with no 80+ efficiency rating. I took out the gpu and tried to turn it on and peripherals dont light up and no speaker noise. It's on carpet floor but I have it on concrete blocks so it's not directly on the carpet. I've been monitoring cpu temps and ryzen master says that temps never get above 80 degrees celcius , but I always thought GPU temps were fine because I monitored them before I upgraded my parts but I have been pushing my pc a lot harder since then by doing things like putting settings on max. I'm thinking some kind of power shortage that broke my whole pc or my new cpu is dead. Thanks for any help you can give.
Mobo: Asus tuf b450 plus gaming
Gpu: powercolor red devil rx 590
Old cpu: ryzen 3 1300x
New cpu: ryzen 5 3600
Powersupply: random rosewill 500w
Hdd: wd 2012 1tb
Old ram: 1x8 corsair vengeance 2400mhz
New ram: g.skill ripjaws 2x8 3600mhz c16

Sorry for bad capitalization I'm not on my pc for obvious reasons

Can't even find any information about that PSU on the PSU's Tier List but I can tell you that this is a 6 years old PSU. I would replace that unit. A PSU can turn on and the fan can spin and still give issues. The process of elimination in your case will start with a new good quality PSU.

Jan 30, 2020
Can't even find any information about that PSU on the PSU's Tier List but I can tell you that this is a 6 years old PSU. I would replace that unit. A PSU can turn on and the fan can spin and still give issues. The process of elimination in your case will start with a new good quality PSU.
I have a ryzen 3 1300x that I could try in the system before doing that. Do you think i should or do you think i should just try a new psi?

Jan 30, 2020
You can try but a CPU doesn't break like that. I'd say your PSU is probably the issue here.
Yeah it makes a lot of sense for it to be the power supply because if things light up but it doesnt post it might just not be delivering enough power. I have been really pushing my pc to the limit and I was wondering if I needed a new psu for the upgrades. Do you have any psu suggestions? With the Coronavirus around it's hard to find a well priced one.

Yeah it makes a lot of sense for it to be the power supply because if things light up but it doesnt post it might just not be delivering enough power. I have been really pushing my pc to the limit and I was wondering if I needed a new psu for the upgrades. Do you have any psu suggestions? With the Coronavirus around it's hard to find a well priced one.

With PSU you do not want an good price one, You need PSU that is really good at the job of powering up an computer and giving it enough power as possable would try find an gold 650 Watts evga PSU that is Semi Modular or full here the website of PSU. I thinking about the EVGA SuperNOVA makes dont know if people agree but think its good PSU and only suggesting 650W just incase one day you want to upgrade GPU that might need that 650W

Jan 30, 2020
With PSU you do not want an good price one, You need PSU that is really good at the job of powering up an computer and giving it enough power as possable would try find an gold 650 Watts evga PSU
Alright thanks, I was looking at the corsair rm750x because it was the same price as the 650w for around $120 but it went up to $140. Thanks for all of the help! Do you think that the power supply did any damage to my parts?

Alright thanks, I was looking at the corsair rm750x because it was the same price as the 650w for around $120 but it went up to $140. Thanks for all of the help! Do you think that the power supply did any damage to my parts?

I edited my post but with this post we do not know for sure what PSU did to your parts not unless you buy PSU and try it out but when PSU blows it could take your parts with it but dont think yours blew it just stopped working so most likey it could be fine along as you dont use it!

Jan 30, 2020
Might be overpriced but it be worth it knowing you have good PSU and enough power because I do not trust PSU under $100 had two PSU blew up on me before :)
I just found the rm850x on amazon for 120 the same as the 650w model. It looks great, but it doesnt say if it is the 2015 or 2018 model. I also saw something that says it's unlikely to find a 2015 model nowadays so I think im good there. I think that's the one I'll end up getting. I also want to confirm that the whole myth about power supplies with too much power can over heat your stuff. That myth is definitely false right?

I just found the rm850x on amazon for 120 the same as the 650w model. It looks great, but it doesnt say if it is the 2015 or 2018 model. I also saw something that says it's unlikely to find a 2015 model nowadays so I think im good there. I think that's the one I'll end up getting. I also want to confirm that the whole myth about power supplies with too much power can over heat your stuff. That myth is definitely false right?

Older model vs newer model. Stay with the 2018 model.

Reactions: mctrader07

I have 1000W PSU and its an overkill but it wont overheat my system by giving it to much power. PSU will give your system the power what it needs and wont touch the rest if you know what I mean!. So yes i think its false because my system would of overheated also with 2015 modal and 2018 stick with the current ones 2018 if you can get one :)

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020
I have 1000W PSU and its an overkill but it wont overheat my system by giving it to much power. PSU will give your system the power what it needs and wont touch the rest if you know what I mean!. So yes i think its false because my system would of overheated also with 2015 modal and 2018 stick with the current ones 2018 if you can get one :)
Yeah I read something that with this power supply it would be pretty hard to get your hands on a 2015 one and most sellers are only selling the 2018 one

Jan 30, 2020
I'm going to post the story from the first post because the same thing happened, but I'm going to edit it a bit.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/pc-just-died-and-need-to-know-why.3602371
I recently upgraded my pc with a ryzen 5 3600 and new ram. Everything worked fine for a couple of days until today while playing fortnite and messing with settings the screen turns off but fans and stuff still spin. I turn off the pc and then turn it back on. Fans spin, leds light up on motherboard and graphics card, but fans dont spin on the graphics card and it doesn't post. The speaker also doesnt make any noise. My old power supply is some kind of rose will 500w with no 80+ efficiency rating. I took out the gpu and tried to turn it on and peripherals dont light up and no speaker noise. It's on carpet floor but I have it on concrete blocks so it's not directly on the carpet. I've been monitoring cpu temps and ryzen master says that temps never get above 80 degrees celcius , but I always thought GPU temps were fine because I monitored them before I upgraded my parts but I have been pushing my pc a lot harder since then by doing things like putting settings on max. I'm thinking some kind of power shortage that broke my whole pc or my new cpu is dead. Thanks for any help you can give.
Mobo: Asus tuf b450 plus gaming
Gpu: powercolor red devil rx 590
Old cpu: ryzen 3 1300x
New cpu: ryzen 5 3600
Powersupply: random rosewill 500w
Hdd: wd 2012 1tb
Old ram: 1x8 corsair vengeance 2400mhz
New ram: g.skill ripjaws 2x8 3600mhz c16

Update from first post: tried it with a corsair rm650x and same result. I'm going to eat dinner but afterwards I'm going to try reseating ram and I can also try another cpu and different ram. I'm thinking it may actually be the mobo or something because I get no speaker noise and peripherals dont light up when plugged in.

Sorry for bad capitalization I'm not on my pc for obvious reasons

Last edited by a moderator:

4745454b

Titan
I went ahead and edited your post with your original thread. I'm not sure why you felt the need to make a new thread with all the original content. You could have just posted in the first thread that the new PSU didn't fix it.

You said things don't light up, so my first suggestion is to double check all the PSU connections. You have a modular PSU so make sure you are using the correct cables in the correct spots and everything is tight. On BOTH ends. I dislike modular PSUs for this reason.

Jan 30, 2020
I went ahead and edited your post with your original thread. I'm not sure why you felt the need to make a new thread with all the original content. You could have just posted in the first thread that the new PSU didn't fix it.

You said things don't light up, so my first suggestion is to double check all the PSU connections. You have a modular PSU so make sure you are using the correct cables in the correct spots and everything is tight. On BOTH ends. I dislike modular PSUs for this reason.
So when it edits the old post will it notify the people that helped me beforehand?

Jan 30, 2020

Also I dont think it's a connection problem because everything lights up and it does the exact same thing as with the old power supply