Status
Not open for further replies.

Kai0261

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2014
Recently built a new PC and have been having issues with random stutters occurring during daily usage. This problem seemed to have began when I installed an EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080, but not sure whether that could be the culprit behind the random stuttering as it runs fine when gaming. The stutters happen for a split second during everyday usage, such as when opening or closing files or clicking on something, or when watching a video and happen minutes apart from one another. I've checked the usage charts and nothing seems to spike or change during these random stutters, and did not go away even after resetting my PC and reinstalling windows. I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and no errors showed up. Temps are also normal, with the CPU staying 30-40C when idle and rarely reaching 70C under load, same with the GPU.
Edit: feel very similar to latency spikes
Specs:
Case: NZXT H510
Mobo: MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WIFI
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (Cooler Master ML240L V2 RGB AIO)
Ram: G Skill Trident Z Neo RGB (2x8GB 3200mhz)
GPU: EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 GA
Windows is installed on a 1TB Samsung 970 Evo

Last edited:
Your inexpensive power supply may be the problem. Check this link (here on Tom''s)
That EVGA is suggested for midrange systems and is of low priority; your video card has boosted your system into the "high end" category.

Kai0261

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2014
I contacted EVGA and received a replacement, but in the meantime had been using an RX 5700XT and that was working fine for me. I did not experience any stuttering/latency with that. However, once I installed the replacement RTX 3080 the issue returned, and I ran LatencyMon and it shows that the NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver (nvlddmkm.sys) has been having the highest latency, at 700 µ seconds compared to the rest which are only at 100-190 µ seconds. Any idea on how to interpret this?
Edit: its gone over 2400 µ seconds in some cases now

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.