Oct 6, 2024
Hello guys,

I recently built a PC and I had problems with random reboots using windows 11 and a most possible faulty power strip. I went to a store in order to give my PC and fix it and they fresh installed windows 10 and downloaded all the latest drivers. They told me that my PC was working just fine so I took it back to my place. I just downloaded GTA V and It takes two and when trying running them the game either crashes without any warning or error message, or the PC reboots. I ran FurMark to test my GPU and the PC restarted after 8-9 minutes of stressing with normal temperatures (~ 65-68 degrees Celsius). Other PC components run at normal temperatues too. What could cause all these?

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700x
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 Gaming OC rev. 2.0
Motherboard: MSI Pro B650-S WIFI
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x16 DDR5 5200MHz
SSD: Western Digital SN770 SSD 1TB M.2 NVMe PCI Express 4.0
CPU Fan: Arctic Freezer 36
PSU: Seasonic G12 GC 750W 80 Plus Gold
Case: Kolink Observatory HF Mesh

Last edited:
geomillos Hello. PC rebooting issues are caused by one of the following: (1) heat (2) software (3) hardware. In your case, your Windows 11 installation was removed and Windows 10 was installed, so that eliminates (2) software, in my mind. (1) If the issue was heat, then that would mean that your CPU met and exceeded TJ Maxx. I'm not sure what that temperature is for a Ryzen 7 7700X. When you installed the Arctic single tower air cooler, did you remove the plastic protective cover from the plate? If you did, and if the fan is properly spinning, then I seriously doubt that the CPU temperature could get high enough to reboot the system. By my process of elimination, that leaves (3) hardware. According to your motherboard manual, your two RAM chips should be installed in slots A2 and B2; please verify that. Also, what BIOS version/date are you on? Lastly, assuming those conditions are verified okay, then my assumption is that your power supply, even though new, maybe the culprit.

Keep in mind, that this is only based on my opinion.

Oct 6, 2024
@rcald2000 Wow. Thanks a lot for the extensive reply. Appreciate it a lot. Answering by the order that you asked: I removed the protective cover from my air cooler, I generally don’t think it’s a temperature issue, the pc seems to run fine(temperature-wise) before it reboots. Ram slots are A2 B2 and bios version is the latest stable one.
If it is the psu, isn’t it weird that these things happen ONLY when I play games (and the one time that I ran Furmark)?

I can't be certain; obviously. I'm only guessing. But my mom's gaming rig had a EVGA P2 850 (oem: Superflower). And it would only spontaneously reboot when she updated her Fortnite through the Epic launcher. At that time her specs were only a Ryzen 5 5600X / 16GB DDR4 3200MT CL16 / GTX 1660 Ti (120 watt TDP). My point is, her rig pulled very little power and yet an 850 PSU was rebooting her system. I submitted a warranty claim and EVGA replaced it with a brand new PSU, and that resolved the problem, in her case.

With that said, I could be completely wrong. I'd hate for you to go through the trouble of getting a new PSU, just to find out that's not the cause. Do you by any chance have a friend that could lend you a power supply? It also might be worth turning off XMP/EXPO to verify that it's not the RAM causing the rebooting. I think it would be a good idea to disable it, while you're troubleshooting this problem. Unlikely I know, but I'm grasping at straws here.

Oct 6, 2024
In some other forums I read that enabling XMP could resolve this problem so I enabled it. Had 2 BSODs and then I disabled it and I’m just getting the reboots now. Also, how would you justify the fact that by changing power strip along with windows 11 made the reboots happen not that often? Maybe the new power strip is also not that good for my purpose?

Reactions: rcald2000
Bypass the power strip and see what happens. Do you have a spare power supply to borrow from someone?

Addendum: Are you still using the same power strip that you mentioned in your original posting? I had assumed that you either changed or bypassed it. At this point, I would try to at least bypass while you're troubleshooting this issue. If you've already done so, then I'd start to consider the power supply as the cause. Therefore I'll restate, do you have one that you can borrow from someone to test this possibility?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2024
I changed the power strip. I will have to go to a store to do that because I don’t know how to do the cable connection:(. So I will update when I get this done. Again, thanks a lot for your reply and for your help!