Question PC reboots pre-BIOS and then boots normally ?

Arrigatou

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
Hi!

Recently I suddenly have this weird problem where my PC wont boot into the motherboard splash-screen or windows (so pre-bios) and then it reboots itself. This happens a few times before it suddenly boots normally like nothing happened.

I tried taking out the Ram, switching the sticks around and no change. I tried pulling out the GPU power, no change.

After taking out the RAM I noticed my motherboard has this Q led thingy. And when it doesnt boot it is solid red. According to the user manual (if I am reading it correctly?) it supposed to mean its the CPU thats at fault.

Would a CPU reseat fix the issue? Or is it rather a BIOS problem? Or a motherboard problem? Or any other opinions that might prove usefull to troubleshooting this?

I find it weird that after a few reboots the system boots like nothings wrong.

The CPU: Intel 11700
Memory: 2x Corsair Vengeance CMW32GX4M2D3600C18
Motherboard: asus rog strix b560-a gaming wifi
User manual

Kind regards

Last edited:
Recently I suddenly have this weird problem where my PC wont boot into the motherboard splash-screen or windows (so pre-bios) and then it reboots itself.
This happens a few times before it suddenly boots normally like nothing happened.
Sounds like ram training process.
Automatic ram settings fail for some reason and different settings are tried (automatically) until system can boot normally.

Can you show screenshots from CPU-Z - memory and spd sections?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Reactions: Arrigatou

Arrigatou

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
Sounds like ram training process.
Automatic ram settings fail for some reason and different settings are tried (automatically) until system can boot normally.

Can you show screenshots from CPU-Z - memory and spd sections?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Ahh foolish me, not including the ram. I have 2 sticks of Corsair Vengeance CMW32GX4M2D3600C18. I have included the screenshots you asked for. What you are saying actualy do make sense in some way. Weird the motherboard says its the CPU?

Screenshots

a4oePaF.png

Egl9QS0.png

3dNTTvf.png

Arrigatou

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
Overclock your ram manually.
Set
Command Rate 1T,
DRAM voltage 1.35V,
Latencies 18-22-22-42.

Set frequency to 3200mhz and test.
Increase to 3400mhz, 3600mhz and test again.
If at 3600mhz reboots start again, then reduce to 3400mhz and keep it that way.
Thanks for having a look into this! But I am confused about why I wouldnt be able to run it at 3600? I mean I bought the ram for this specific reason, even says this on the box

Arrigatou

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
@SkyNetRising For the heck of it, I tried booting with xmp off (so everything on auto) and now the pc freezes while loading windows. But the pc doesnt seem to reboot pre-bios now?

I also just tried booting with xmp and 3200mhz, problem persisted
I have also tried to manually change the values but I am unsure where? Could you advise?

Images of bios here: View: https://imgur.com/a/Wl8wapf

Arrigatou

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
1st photo - set DRAM frequency. You'll have to test different values here.
2nd photo - set latencies (top 3 values) to 18-22-42 and command rate (1T). Leave rest on auto.
3rd photo - skip enirely, don't change anything.
4th photo - set DRAM voltage to 1.35V.

ah alright! Thanks! I just tried it and it seems like 3600 isnt working..

but how come it doesnt work? While it did work before? And what is the bios doing to make it work after X amount of reboots?

Last edited:
I learned that a bios update is like a last resort thing, but I will keep that in mind!

Or is bios flashing not that scary anymore? I heard about motherboards getting bricked because of an update error
I suppose there is always a risk.
Read the directions and do it proper.
I've flashed the bios on this machine multiple times with no problems.
If it does not fix your problem at least you have made the suspect list smaller.

Arrigatou

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
Thank you all and especially @SkyNetRising for support, I couldnt reply and experiment at all due to work pressure. My apoligies.

I actually have an update. After experimenting with multiple settings, even trying to boot without RAM, bios updates, the problem persisted. So it had to be mobo or cpu.

So I send both to the store, they had a 36month warranty, and after their testing it appeared the CPU simply died. And I got a replacement todsy and everything works like butter!