Question PC Restart When the PC is IDEL Only

May 15, 2023
i have a proplem the proplem is the pc restart when i am leaveing the pc for while
i replace the psu and i think the proplem from the psu
and it will fix the proplem , but for sadly idont think the proplem is gone
last time its come to me when i download something the pc crush and the moniter turn off and gives me a black screen befor i change the psu
but when i format the proplem gose to diffrent way
its become restart not crush just when i leave the pc (IDEL) its restart , but when i play i dont have any issue with any crush or restart
i change my psu to the

Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850W 80+ Gold Smart​

and it a good psu
but the proplem still come to me after this idn why
my pc is
• Motherboard: Z590 ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO
• CPU: Intel i7 11700K 3.6Ghz
• GPU: Zotack Rtx 3070 OC 8GB
• RAM: T-Force 16GB (8x2) 3200Mhz
• Case: DeepCool Macube 310 White
• Cooler : MSI Mag CoreLiquid C360
i didnt make any overlock to the cpu
and i made a undervolting for the GPU
and XMP for rams and its all if you can help me
and i foeget something
at this 10 days i was doing a Little trick to download for a hoursi just Run the msi kombustor (gpu and cpu stress) to make them both in 30 or 35 % or lower and its good and the pc run for an hours and without any restart or frezzeing
pls if you know anyt solutioncan help pls send it for me

rtp

Jul 16, 2023
It is most likely a hardware or BIOS issue.

I had a Lenovo laptop that, when you shut the lid (not even all the way, maybe 50 degrees), would go to a blue screen with the text "Your PC has encountered a problem and needs to shut down." Only it never shut down, it just hung. The screen would still be there forever if it was plugged in; if it was on battery it would stay that way until the battery died!

The easiest fix is to change your power settings. After that look to see if your manufacturer has a BIOS update for your specific computer model. (Did you build this computer yourself? If so, check the motherboard manufacturer for BIOS updates and chipset manufacturer for chipset firmware updates.) It seems to me you know about computers where you don't need me to explain updating the BIOS. (You will want to fix your power settings first, to avoid this continued problem while you address the others!)

You don't want your lid-closing to cause any action, and you don't want to use the sleep button, either. You don't want to sleep or hibernate ... I don't know if the screen turning off could cause problems, too, but I suppose anything could.

Are you using Windows? I will warn you now, some settings won't even "take" if you haven't activated Windows yet! Others will merely expire if you fail to activate in 14 days. (Microsoft warns you on install, but it's easy to forget.) So you may have customized power settings and don't realize they aren't getting applied! (This happened to me.) If you haven't activated, you should do so A.S.A.P!

There are several ways to get to Control Panel, especially in Windows 8.1+. Even if you know this, I'll post for the benefit of others. Only really old Windows have a "Start" button; I'll use "WL" to mean Windows Logo button (or the logo on the taskbar, unless this is a key combination) ...
  1. If you already created a Control Panel shortcut on your desktop/taskbar, just double-click/click it.
  2. In older Windows, click "Start > Windows System > Control Panel".
  3. In newer Windows, either:
    1. Click WL > down arrow on Start screen > "Control Panel".
    2. Press WL+"X" > "Control Panel".
... and of course there are keyboard shortcuts to bring up the search bar in newer Windows, which I haven't bothered to learn.

Once in Control Panel, click "Hardware and Sound > Power Options". Look next to "Balanced" (or whichever power scheme is currently selected) and click the link "Change plan settings." Under "Turn off the display" are drop down lists for settings when the PC is plugged in or on battery; choose "Never". Then click the link "Change advanced power settings" and up pops a dialog with a bunch of nested settings which expand if you click "+" and collapse again when you click "-". By default, some are already expanded.

So what to do? I think what really matters is "Power Buttons and Lid", "Sleep", and "Display". You may also want to customize "Hard Disk" and "Battery" settings. I will post here what I personally set things to, and mimic the expandable format as a list (but only the things discussed):
  • Hard Disk
    • Turn off hard disk after: [For plugged-in and battery, do '0' (means "Never")!]
  • Sleep
    • Hibernate after: [For plugged-in and battery, do '0' (means "Never")!]
    • Allow wake timers: [For plugged-in and battery, select "Disable".]
  • Power Buttons and Lid
    • Lid close action: [For plugged-in and battery, select "Do nothing".]
    • Power button action: [For plugged-in and battery, select "Shut down".]
    • Sleep button action: [For plugged-in and battery, select "Do nothing".]
  • Display
    • Turn off display after: [For plugged-in and battery, do '0' (means "Never")!]
  • Battery
    • Critical action: [For battery select "Shut down"; for plugged-in "Do nothing".]
    • Low battery action: [Keep both on "Do nothing".]
    • (You may also customize the % battery remaining which is considered critical/low and whether you are notified at those levels. You probably should be notified on low so you can save your work or plug it in!)
Click "Ok" (or is it "Save"?) when you are done. Remember, these settings will not stick past the reboot if you use Windows 8.1+ unless you have activiated (I don't know about 8 exactly) , not even the day you installed it! If you install new BIOS/firmware updates, you might change something back (like the lid close action) to test; test one thing at a time; watch a TV show and see if your computer wakes up from sleep. Eat popcorn!

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
If you haven't updated your BIOS since buying the board, you may want to give that a try. My Asus B560M TUF board had a bunch of weird BIOS quirks in it that caused some options to either not save properly or seemingly trigger a bunch of unrelated changes until some point last year. Some of the updates also supposedly improved general stability.

Reactions: jafar__4