Sep 15, 2019
Hi all,

I have a system with 20gb of RAM (two 8GB sticks and two 2GB sticks). Just recently I figured out my 8GB sticks are faster than my 2GB sticks, so the net speed is slowed from 1866 to 1333 MHz. Therefore I want to only use the two 8GB sticks in dual mode.

When I try to run my PC with one or two of the 8GB sticks inserted the PC remains in a reboot loop. The fans start to run but after one second they are shut off. It takes a couple of seconds before it tries to run again. There are no beeps and there is no display.

This can of course be because of a faulty RAM, but the weird thing is that the PC runs properly when I combine the 8GB stick with the 2GB stick or when I only run the PC on the 2GB stick. Just the 8GB without the 2GB stick doesn't work. The motherboard should be compatible with both sticks.

I resetted the CMOS, tried different combinations and different RAM slots, but it won't get out of the reboot loop when running on one or two of the 8GB sticks. I hope someone can help me.

System specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 (rev 1.0)
Processor: Intel I5-3350P
RAM:
  • 2x Kingston 2GB Hyperx KHX1333C7D3K4/8GX (link)
  • 2x Kingston 8GB Hyperx HX318C10FBK2/16 (link)
GPU: AMD Radeon RX580
BIOS version: F8

Motherboard RAM compatibility (found here):
link1

CPU-Z Ram specs (currently running one 2GB and one 8GB card in single mode, but can also run it on dual channel mode):

link2 - link3 - link4

Solution
How did you reset the CMOS? Did you use the jumper clrCMOS while power was unplugged from the wall?

Did you seat the two 8GB sticks into the white slots? Channel B: DDR3_1 and DDR3_3

Your CPU is only supporting 1600MHz (btw, the CPU is not listed on the support list of your motherboard)

Reflash the BIOS version F8
How did you reset the CMOS? Did you use the jumper clrCMOS while power was unplugged from the wall?

Did you seat the two 8GB sticks into the white slots? Channel B: DDR3_1 and DDR3_3

Your CPU is only supporting 1600MHz (btw, the CPU is not listed on the support list of your motherboard)

Reflash the BIOS version F8

Solution
Sep 15, 2019
Thanks for your quick response. I resetted the CMOS by short-circuiting the jumper with a screwdriver.

The problem was however indeed the compatibility with the CPU. I limited the RAM frequency in the BIOS to 1600 (maximum of the CPU) and now it is working. Thanks!

Reactions: helpstar