Fireboy_JET

Commendable
Jan 10, 2020
When I turn on my PC from shut down (not restarting/sleep), I have to troubleshooting the network settings in order for my PC to connect to the LAN internet connection.

Manufacturer: System Model X570 AORUS ELITE
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F4, 04/09/2019
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, 3593 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have spoken to Microsoft about this and they have done every tried every troubleshooting step and made me do a fresh install of Windows 10 and I still have the same connection issue.

I have also spoken to Gigabyte (Motherboard Manufacturer) about this issue too as Microsoft thought it might be a driver issue as their ethernet drivers only support Windows version 1903 but I now have the Windows version 2004 drivers installed from the intel website.
(I believe I have the correct drivers but the whole driver thing confuses me a bit as I don't know what is needed and what isn't etc. So any help is appreciated)

The Microsoft support guy said it might be a bug that will be fixed in the October Windows Update.

This is the first PC I have built and I built it in march so if this is a faulty part problem, that I need to claim on a warranty claim, October seems a bit risky in case a part has a 6 month warranty.

Link to PC specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Fireboy_JET/saved/#view=7GytnQ

I believe I have all the correct drivers but I am new so if anyone could check, I'd be happy to show you on Discord or TeamViewer.
Discord: Fireboy#9160

Video of what I have to do every time I power my PC on to connect to the internet.

Any help would be appreciated.

kanewolf

Titan
When I turn on my PC from shut down (not restarting/sleep), I have to troubleshooting the network settings in order for my PC to connect to the LAN internet connection.

Manufacturer: System Model X570 AORUS ELITE
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F4, 04/09/2019
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, 3593 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have spoken to Microsoft about this and they have done every tried every troubleshooting step and made me do a fresh install of Windows 10 and I still have the same connection issue.

I have also spoken to Gigabyte (Motherboard Manufacturer) about this issue too as Microsoft thought it might be a driver issue as their ethernet drivers only support Windows version 1903 but I now have the Windows version 2004 drivers installed from the intel website.
(I believe I have the correct drivers but the whole driver thing confuses me a bit as I don't know what is needed and what isn't etc. So any help is appreciated)

The Microsoft support guy said it might be a bug that will be fixed in the October Windows Update.

This is the first PC I have built and I built it in march so if this is a faulty part problem, that I need to claim on a warranty claim, October seems a bit risky in case a part has a 6 month warranty.

Link to PC specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Fireboy_JET/saved/#view=7GytnQ

I believe I have all the correct drivers but I am new so if anyone could check, I'd be happy to show you on Discord or TeamViewer.
Discord: Fireboy#9160

Video of what I have to do every time I power my PC on to connect to the internet.

Any help would be appreciated.
My guess is a slow DHCP server. What is your PC connecting to?

I would also guess it is a dhcp issue.

When it is broken before you "fix" it with the troubleshooting see what the status is.

Use the command IPCONFIG /all.

What you want to see is if the IP addresses is assigned. You likely have a address that starts with 169.x.x.x. This means it did not get a IP from the router. You also want to be sure that it does not have other errors like media disconnected. That is a different error. Be sure to find the ethernet port there maybe other "stuff" on the display for ipconfig

To see if it is a dhcp issue try ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew. If this fixes it then you know it is dhcp. This most times is a issue with the router but if no other device has issues then I don't know.

You can hide the problem by assigning a fixed IP in the ipv4 settings in your computer.

Fireboy_JET

Commendable
Jan 10, 2020
I would also guess it is a dhcp issue.

When it is broken before you "fix" it with the troubleshooting see what the status is.

Use the command IPCONFIG /all.

What you want to see is if the IP addresses is assigned. You likely have a address that starts with 169.x.x.x. This means it did not get a IP from the router. You also want to be sure that it does not have other errors like media disconnected. That is a different error. Be sure to find the ethernet port there maybe other "stuff" on the display for ipconfig

To see if it is a dhcp issue try ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew. If this fixes it then you know it is dhcp. This most times is a issue with the router but if no other device has issues then I don't know.

You can hide the problem by assigning a fixed IP in the ipv4 settings in your computer.
Microsoft did some ipconfig troubleshooting steps and no results.

It currently says:
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : -------(Preferred) (dashes for obvious reasons)

and when I did the ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew nothing happened, I got the same DHCP Server.

I reckon the router is working fine as I also have my Xbox plugged in via internet and that automatically connects fine.

Last edited:
192 ip address are private ones they are the same ones used by everyone. It is the public IP assigned to your router wan port that is slightly risky. Still someone would have to be reading this thread and then not like you for some reason.

That is extremely strange you actually have a IP address so it is not DHCP.

So now I guess it depends on what you mean it is not connecting to the lan. I suspect you actually do have lan access.

What happens if you key in the IP of your router in a web browser do you get the login page for the router. Can you ping the router ip or ping your xbox.

What happens if you do a NSLOOKUP www.tomshardware.com. Do you get a ip address. What happens if you ping www.tomshardware.com

Fireboy_JET

Commendable
Jan 10, 2020
192 ip address are private ones they are the same ones used by everyone. It is the public IP assigned to your router wan port that is slightly risky. Still someone would have to be reading this thread and then not like you for some reason.

That is extremely strange you actually have a IP address so it is not DHCP.

So now I guess it depends on what you mean it is not connecting to the lan. I suspect you actually do have lan access.

What happens if you key in the IP of your router in a web browser do you get the login page for the router. Can you ping the router ip or ping your xbox.

What happens if you do a NSLOOKUP www.tomshardware.com. Do you get a ip address. What happens if you ping www.tomshardware.com
Sorry for the late reply.

I receive this:

C:\Users\jacke>NSLOOKUP www.tomshardware.com
Server: UnKnown
Address: fdce:9a50:1158:0:a2bd:cdff:fedf:9c18

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: vif07.web.future.net.uk
Address: 185.113.25.56
Aliases: www.tomshardware.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\Users\jacke>ping www.tomshardware.com

Pinging vif15.web.future.net.uk [185.113.25.50] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 185.113.25.50: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=59
Reply from 185.113.25.50: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=59
Reply from 185.113.25.50: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=59
Reply from 185.113.25.50: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 185.113.25.50:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 10ms, Maximum = 11ms, Average = 10ms

Last edited:
Be very careful how you test. You need to run this commands before you "fix" the lan network with the troubleshoot.

I would go into the nic setting and turn off the IPV6 support. You see all kinds of strange errors when using IPv6. It should not hurt to not use it, they have said IPv6 is the future for more than 20yrs but it still is not used a lot.

Fireboy_JET

Commendable
Jan 10, 2020
Be very careful how you test. You need to run this commands before you "fix" the lan network with the troubleshoot.

I would go into the nic setting and turn off the IPV6 support. You see all kinds of strange errors when using IPv6. It should not hurt to not use it, they have said IPv6 is the future for more than 20yrs but it still is not used a lot.
Run the ipconfig stuff before I troubleshoot or the ping and nslookup or everything

And I'll turn off IPV6 Support now

Fireboy_JET

Commendable
Jan 10, 2020
Because you can ping and especially since you can ping by name it means the network is functional.

Maybe it is something wrong with the web browser. Since you can ping this site you would think it would open on the web browser also.
This is the results when I run the commands within troubleshooting my network. Also how do you turn off IPV6 Settings?

C:\Users\jacke>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-3QM45HD
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Home

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80:-------1(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.---------(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.------
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : --------
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : --------
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\Users\jacke>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Home
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : ------------------------
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.-------------
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 2-------------
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\Users\jacke>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Ethernet : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\Users\jacke>NSLOOKUP www.tomshardware.com
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Server: UnKnown
Address: 8.8.8.8

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out

C:\Users\jacke> ping www.tomshardware.com
Ping request could not find host www.tomshardware.com. Please check the name and try again.

This is very different. This acts like your ethernet port is now down. Well it electrically up but not communicating. I hate problems like this where you have to be very quick sometimes before things change.

To disable IPv6 it is just a checkbox in the setting on the ethernet port. What I would try next is to set a fixed IP in the IPv4 settings while you are turning off IPv6.

Generally the best drivers are form intel but maybe try the ones from the motherboard maker. Check the bios that they do not have stupid power save options on the ethernet.

Fireboy_JET

Commendable
Jan 10, 2020
Be very careful of any company that uses things like teamviewer to fix computer issues. Many scam companies.

It would do no good. The problem occurs before you can even get on the network

If a static IP address does not fix this I am at a loss.
Oh, I know, I don't just give it out to anyone.

How do I do a static IP

Maybe I should be more consistent. You want a fixed IP in the IPv4 settings.

Let say when it is working you get a ip address of 192.168.1.20. What you want to do is set it to some value that will not interfere with other machines. 192.168.1.250 would be a good example. The mask should be 255.255.255.0 and the gateway 192.168.1.1 You would set the DNS to 8.8.8.8\

Note be sure to check the actual ip your router is using since not all routers use 192.168.1.x

Fireboy_JET

Commendable
Jan 10, 2020
Maybe I should be more consistent. You want a fixed IP in the IPv4 settings.

Let say when it is working you get a ip address of 192.168.1.20. What you want to do is set it to some value that will not interfere with other machines. 192.168.1.250 would be a good example. The mask should be 255.255.255.0 and the gateway 192.168.1.1 You would set the DNS to 8.8.8.8\

Note be sure to check the actual ip your router is using since not all routers use 192.168.1.x
So what do I do to try to fix this or do you not know?

If it doesn't work with a IP address assigned in the ipv4 settings then it is something very strange.

DHCP problems are hard to troubleshoot without more equipment. You really don't know if the PC is sending the request and the router does not respond or if they PC only thinks it is sending the request but the packets are being dropped. You normally need to capture the data and to be really sure you need to capture outside of the pc.

I would try to manually assign the IP address and see what happens. It is very common to assign a fixed/static IP. It is one of the thing people do who are hosting game servers.

Fireboy_JET

Commendable
Jan 10, 2020
If it doesn't work with a IP address assigned in the ipv4 settings then it is something very strange.

DHCP problems are hard to troubleshoot without more equipment. You really don't know if the PC is sending the request and the router does not respond or if they PC only thinks it is sending the request but the packets are being dropped. You normally need to capture the data and to be really sure you need to capture outside of the pc.

I would try to manually assign the IP address and see what happens. It is very common to assign a fixed/static IP. It is one of the thing people do who are hosting game servers.
Can you tell me step by step what you would try like troubleshooting steps