YoungDNL

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
Greetings all,

I've been repairing an old laptop from a family member, they don't feel they need a new one as that one runs fine for most their cases which is mainly browsing the web.
The laptop has a fresh SATA SSD installed, with 8GB DDR3 1333MHz Ram and Windows 10.

The problem is, though its fine to browse and use, the CPU almost always is at 95%-99% utilisation and causes stuttering. the laptop is a HP pavilion g6, both CPUs are socket FCPGA988 but the i7 also comes under the FCBGA1224 socket. This makes me wonder if the laptop will work with that CPU installed.

Thanks in advance, if any more info is required, please ask.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
This makes me wonder if the laptop will work with that CPU installed.

It does, if the i7-2760QM comes with PGA (pin grid array, meaning it has pins under it). But if i7-2760QM comes with BGA (ball grid array), then it won't work because this type of CPU is soldered to MoBo.

So, get a correct grid array CPU for that laptop.

Btw, might want to look over CPU cooling solution as well, since Pentium chip is 35W while Core i7 is 45W chip. And the current CPU cooling method within the laptop, may not be enough for hotter running chip (leading to thermal throttle).

YoungDNL

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
It does, if the i7-2760QM comes with PGA (pin grid array, meaning it has pins under it). But if i7-2760QM comes with BGA (ball grid array), then it won't work because this type of CPU is soldered to MoBo.

So, get a correct grid array CPU for that laptop.

Btw, might want to look over CPU cooling solution as well, since Pentium chip is 35W while Core i7 is 45W chip. And the current CPU cooling method within the laptop, may not be enough for hotter running chip (leading to thermal throttle).
Okay I see, thanks for your response. In regards to the cooling solution, there is only so much a laptop can cool, the only things that are coming to mind are getting a higher rpm fan or a thicker copper heatsink that would be compatible with the laptop. Unless of course you there is a solution I'm not thinking of and you can perhaps aid me with.

Sorry, I know this thread is a bit old but ...

This seems a nice upgrade. Nice that they both have the same Sandy Bridge microarchitecure. I've done a bunch of g6 quadcore cpu upgrades but only with amd motherboards. With them, the jump from 35 to 45 W has never been an issue so that's encouraging. Running a g6 with a quad core completely changes it's characteristics ... very worthwhile.

Needless to say, you'll want to thoroughly clean the cooling system. Personally I wouldn't change the fan. Be sure to clean not only the entire exhaust system but also the little filter thingies on the air intake slots (qtip and rubbing alcohol). I always added little stick-on plastic pads to the bottom of the laptop just to allow a little more air under it - probably totally unnecessary. One further cooling enhancement I thought of, if it seemed necessary, was to remove the optical drive. That would allow a lot more air to circulate. I never had to do that however.

If you end up going ahead with this upgrade ... be sure to post the results ... I'm curious to know if the intel version upgrades as easily as the amd.

YoungDNL

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
Sorry, I know this thread is a bit old but ...

This seems a nice upgrade. Nice that they both have the same Sandy Bridge microarchitecure. I've done a bunch of g6 quadcore cpu upgrades but only with amd motherboards. With them, the jump from 35 to 45 W has never been an issue so that's encouraging. Running a g6 with a quad core completely changes it's characteristics ... very worthwhile.

Needless to say, you'll want to thoroughly clean the cooling system. Personally I wouldn't change the fan. Be sure to clean not only the entire exhaust system but also the little filter thingies on the air intake slots (qtip and rubbing alcohol). I always added little stick-on plastic pads to the bottom of the laptop just to allow a little more air under it - probably totally unnecessary. One further cooling enhancement I thought of, if it seemed necessary, was to remove the optical drive. That would allow a lot more air to circulate. I never had to do that however.

If you end up going ahead with this upgrade ... be sure to post the results ... I'm curious to know if the intel version upgrades as easily as the amd.
Hey just signed in after a while, unfortunately i didn't go through with he upgrade so I can't tell you how it is. Sorry if I got your hopes high :D