Apr 15, 2019
Hi all,

This is my first time posting on the Tom's forum, so I hope someone may be able to help me with this issue.

For Christmas, I received all the components I needed to build an awesome new gaming and editing PC, here is my parts list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4mXZCb

I immediately put everything together, installed windows (there was a weird issue with the windows flash drive I received, but when I formatted an old USB with windows 10, it worked just fine), and proceeded to use my awesome new computer. I overclocked the 9900k to 4.8GHz without adding any voltage, and the system ran just fine with that speed for the next week and a half. My family went on vacation after the new year, so I boxed the PC back up, ready to take back with me to school in the end of January.

Upon arriving to school, I set up the PC, and everything worked great for about 2-3 weeks. The extra fans I had purchased stopped spinning around that time, so I decided to take one out to see what the issue was. I shut down the pc, removed the fan, and booted back up, to then be met with the issue that has plagued me since:

The system would power cycle about 5-8 times, then stick onto error code 00, and continue to do so every time the power button was pushed. I tried a few possible solutions, but nothing worked, so a few days later, I sat down at my laptop and contacted ASUS support. After the rep suggested that I do everything I had already tried (clearing CMOS, removing CMOS and replacing, reseating RAM and CPU, flashing BIOS, etc.), he made up an RMA ticket for me, and the board was off to the ASUS service center. I received the board about a week later, with an RMA sheet claiming they had fixed a bent CPU pin. I installed everything back onto the board, booted, and it worked. I played some videogames in celebration that night, and went to sleep satisfied.

The next morning, I needed to print out a paper for class, and hadn't installed the printer drivers yet, so I did just that, and my computer needed to restart for the installation to complete. It restarts, and when powering back up, BOOM, same issue that I had before of power cycling and sticking on code 00. I took the PC to a local technician, told him this whole story, and he tested for what could be wrong. I picked it up about a week after that, and he suggested that I ask ASUS for a complete replacement on the motherboard, rather than a repair. I went ahead and set this up, ASUS held a charge on my card for a new board, they sent me a new one, and again, the issue persisted. The charge on my card would clear if the board passed all physical damage checks, which it did.

And finally, that brings me to today. This has been quite the long, irritating journey, and I hope someone may be able to shed some light on what the issue may be. Apologies for the long post, I just want everyone to have any information they may find relevant.

Please, if you have any thoughts on this issue, if you're experiencing the same or a similar issue, or anything, please contact me. I would like to figure this out as I've been stressed about it basically this whole semester of college, and to be honest, I really don't need that kind of stress in my life, haha.

<Removed>

P.S. - I also contacted Corsair support as I'd read that the code may indicate a bad PSU, but a reply from them said that this is almost never the case. I would include this in my post, but I forget exactly when that happened!

<Private information removed by moderator. Please use PM function for private contact.

Last edited by a moderator:

g-unit1111

Titan
This really does sound like it's a PSU issue, but it's interesting that Corsair would say otherwise. I do love Corsair products and use a lot of them, but they are an incredibly frustrating support department to deal with.

Do you have another system that you could try those fans in? The reason is that if you try the fans in the other system and they start spinning fine, then it's definitely a PSU issue. The other thing could be the source of power - are your fans hooked up through PWM or are they hooked up through a hub / splitter? Because if they're hooked up through a fan hub then it's possible that could be the culprit.

Apr 15, 2019
This really does sound like it's a PSU issue, but it's interesting that Corsair would say otherwise. I do love Corsair products and use a lot of them, but they are an incredibly frustrating support department to deal with.

Do you have another system that you could try those fans in? The reason is that if you try the fans in the other system and they start spinning fine, then it's definitely a PSU issue. The other thing could be the source of power - are your fans hooked up through PWM or are they hooked up through a hub / splitter? Because if they're hooked up through a fan hub then it's possible that could be the culprit.

Hi g-unit, thank you for a swift reply!

So They're connected to a hub with a proprietary 6-pin connection, basically 2-pins for fan and 4 for RGB. I did a little messing around and found out which leads are which and did some basic splicing onto some extra cables I had lying around. Hooked right to the PSU, they worked just fine, so the hub was the issue there. Even without the hub though, my system doesn't work! I also forgot to mention that the CPU_LED does not light up when it sits at code 00, in case that helps you identify any issues.

Thanks again for the quick reply, I posted on a few other forums looking for help and never got one response, so right now it looks like I've finally come to the right place! :)

g-unit1111

Titan
Hi g-unit, thank you for a swift reply!

So They're connected to a hub with a proprietary 6-pin connection, basically 2-pins for fan and 4 for RGB. I did a little messing around and found out which leads are which and did some basic splicing onto some extra cables I had lying around. Hooked right to the PSU, they worked just fine, so the hub was the issue there. Even without the hub though, my system doesn't work! I also forgot to mention that the CPU_LED does not light up when it sits at code 00, in case that helps you identify any issues.

Thanks again for the quick reply, I posted on a few other forums looking for help and never got one response, so right now it looks like I've finally come to the right place! :)

Yeah no problem!

I had a similar issue involving my rig and I figured out that the hub was the problem. Hooked right to the motherboard, they work fine. Hooked to the hub that's where they cause problems.

Apr 15, 2019
Yeah no problem!

I had a similar issue involving my rig and I figured out that the hub was the problem. Hooked right to the motherboard, they work fine. Hooked to the hub that's where they cause problems.
Yeah, I was pretty excited that I fixed the fans, but I'm still just really bummed about my PC sadly, haha