Oct 31, 2020
So i have psu Hiper 530w and it has 6 (4+2 )pins for mdb (cpu) and 12 (8+4) for gpu... my rx 580 needs only 8, so i took those 6 for motherboard and connected them to a adapter (6 to 8 pins) and took those 12 (4+8) and connected those 4 to a motherboard.
and im doing this because i bought pc in parts and i bought this wrong psu, i would buy a new one but i have to wait a week or so for them to ship it here.

Will i have problems?
Is this dangerous?
Can i use my pc?

my specs:
Ryzen 5 1600
Rx 580
8 gb ram 2666hz
1tb WD caviar black
120gb ssd

Solution
Using an old model PSU in a new system is very dangerous.

There are people talking about this PSU in 2007.

I would not put that PSU in your system and wait for the one you bought.

Which PSU did you buy?

Which PSU did you buy?

Solution
Oct 31, 2020

Which PSU did you buy?
i bought this one i just said hiper 530w type m
do you have any suggestions on new psu...

and by the way does it matter the way i connected everything up...

zaphod2beeble

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017
So i have psu Hiper 530w and it has 6 (4+2 )pins for mdb (cpu) and 12 (8+4) for gpu... my rx 580 needs only 8, so i took those 6 for motherboard and connected them to a adapter (6 to 8 pins) and took those 12 (4+8) and connected those 4 to a motherboard.
and im doing this because i bought pc in parts and i bought this wrong psu, i would buy a new one but i have to wait a week or so for them to ship it here.

Will i have problems?
Is this dangerous?
Can i use my pc?

my specs:
Ryzen 5 1600
Rx 580
8 gb ram 2666hz
1tb WD caviar black
120gb ssd
Am I understanding this correctly? You need an 8pin for both your cpu and gpu, yet the PSU only has a 6 (4+2) and a 12 pin (8+4)?

zaphod2beeble

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017
i bought this one i just said hiper 530w type m
do you have any suggestions on new psu...

and by the way does it matter the way i connected everything up...
You can get away with a 450W on an RX580 so my recomendation would be a Corsair VS450, or a CX450M. The VS has all the connectors fixed but is available for a cheap 40€, while the CX450M only has the 24pin and the CPU 8pin fixed, while the rest (PCIe power, SATA power, Molex) are modular, which means less clutter in your PC at the higher price of 60€, still a very affordable PSU. I've used multiple corsair PSUs in multiple builds and always loved them, great products!

zaphod2beeble

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017
i need only 4 for mdb and only 8 for gpu so psu hase too much for both
Oh, I understand, I don't know enough about how that PSU (or PSU power distribution in general) works so I can't tell you wether what you want to do is safe or not (there's a good chance it's not). Honestly you'd be better off upgrading to something cheap like I suggested under the other comment and waiting a little longer. I know it's annoying to wait but trust me, you'd rather wait a day or two, than fry your motherboard, cpu, or gpu..