Feb 18, 2021
Self built PC 2 years ago. It was fine in the beginning for a short while but it soon started freezing at the slightest touch of the case. Later on it started randomly freezing even without touching the case. Then it started randomly shutting down. Afterwards randomly restarting - mostly happens when playing games, but it's at random times. Can be after 10 minutes of playing, after hours or not at all for some days. Some days it just restarts even when it's just idle on desktop and no application is open. Mostly it happens during gaming though.

Also, whenever I shut it down, it instead restarts and I have to shut it down again a second time for it to stay shut. That's a relatively new development in the last few months.

And very recently it won't always start up after the first button press. I have to press again and then I get a power surge error message, saying something along the lines "the system wasn't properly shut down last time, possibly due to a power surge".

I've seen similar threads here but neither of them fully matched my problem and their solutions didn't help me, so any ideas would be welcome.
Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card
Power Supply: EVGA G2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
HDD: Toshiba P300 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: CiT Blaze Blue LED Tempered Glass ATX Tower PC Gaming Case

The case has 6 fans, so unlike a solved thread here, that shouldn't be the problem. The air flow is fine, and like I said, it restarts even when nothing is running. I checked temperature and it's way within limits. I ran some stress tests as well on max settings and everything went fine. I thought it might be power supply, but all reviews I'm seeing for it + motherboard are positive.

Self built PC 2 years ago. It was fine in the beginning for a short while but it soon started freezing at the slightest touch of the case. Later on it started randomly freezing even without touching the case. Then it started randomly shutting down. Afterwards randomly restarting - mostly happens when playing games, but it's at random times. Can be after 10 minutes of playing, after hours or not at all for some days. Some days it just restarts even when it's just idle on desktop and no application is open. Mostly it happens during gaming though.

Also, whenever I shut it down, it instead restarts and I have to shut it down again a second time for it to stay shut. That's a relatively new development in the last few months.

And very recently it won't always start up after the first button press. I have to press again and then I get a power surge error message, saying something along the lines "the system wasn't properly shut down last time, possibly due to a power surge".

I've seen similar threads here but neither of them fully matched my problem and their solutions didn't help me, so any ideas would be welcome.
Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card
Power Supply: EVGA G2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
HDD: Toshiba P300 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: CiT Blaze Blue LED Tempered Glass ATX Tower PC Gaming Case

The case has 6 fans, so unlike a solved thread here, that shouldn't be the problem. The air flow is fine, and like I said, it restarts even when nothing is running. I checked temperature and it's way within limits. I ran some stress tests as well on max settings and everything went fine. I thought it might be power supply, but all reviews I'm seeing for it + motherboard are positive.
Bios upto date? Do you have latest mobo drivers? Can you post a link from userbenchmark with your results?