Oct 3, 2020
Here is my current PC specs:
Ryzen 5 2600
MSI GTX 1060 3GB
2x8gb 3200MHz DDR4 RAM
1x 1TB 7200RPM HDD
1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD
MSI B450M-A PRO MAX motherboard

I'm planning to buy MSI RTX 2060 SUPER GAMING X 8GB (link to gpu). I'm using Corsair VS550 Power Supply. I don't have much money to change my PSU. Is vs550 enough to power my system or should I really need to buy 650w PSU?

Oct 3, 2020
Welcome to the forums!

The problem is not power / wattage 550W is enough - It's quality that's important.
Is this a new VS or the older series?
VS is not really built for higher end gaming systems.
I bought it 3 years ago. It's 80+ bronze or white thats all I know. I don't plan to do overclock.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It will be the 80+ White. VS doesn't come in bronze. It is the newer one, which is certainly better. However it is now reaching past warranty and is still not really built for these systems. The VS is Corsairs lowest model, the CX and upwards are built for mid to higher end gaming systems.

You don't need more than 550W, you just need a better quality unit. (See point 1 here). That's built for bigger gaming spec.

Oct 3, 2020
It will be the 80+ White. VS doesn't come in bronze. It is the newer one, which is certainly better. However it is now reaching past warranty and is still not really built for these systems. The VS is Corsairs lowest model, the CX and upwards are built for mid to higher end gaming systems.

You don't need more than 550W, you just need a better quality unit. (See point 1 here). That's built for bigger gaming spec.
Understood. But if I am going to upgrade my PSU, I'd like to buy 650w one. This PSU is cheap here, is this good or do you have any recommendation?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020
That PSU is worse than the VS. That I would actively avoid.
Cheap is often indicative of poor quality (not always). But there is a reason why they are cheap. Also more wattage is not the same as better quality.

What is your budget / currency? Lira?
I can spend max. 550-560 lira for PSU. If you have any recommendations write those psu names. I'll check their price and wait for one more month buy one of them. Turkish sellers do not usually use amazon.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'll be honest, for 550-560 Lira on a PSU - based on what I am seeing on Amazon.tr, you're unlikely to get much better than your current. As i said, cheap PSUs are usually cheap for a reason.

One could argue the Corsair CV or the Be Quiet System Power U9 is a bit better, but not much of a worthwhile change.

Really minimum you would want to aim for is Corsair CX550.

Oct 3, 2020
I'll be honest, for 550-560 Lira on a PSU - based on what I am seeing on Amazon.tr, you're unlikely to get much better than your current. As i said, cheap PSUs are usually cheap for a reason.

One could argue the Corsair CV or the Be Quiet System Power U9 is a bit better, but not much of a worthwhile change.

Really minimum you would want to aim for is Corsair CX550.
With a research, I found those PSU's that I can buy. If you have some time, can you check these out and recommend one of them?
COOLER MASTER MWE 650W 80+ Bronze V2 2xEPS 120mm
THERMALTAKE Smart BX1 650W 80+ Bronze 120mm
THERMALTAKE Litepower 750W 120mm
THERMALTAKE TR2 S 650W 80+ 120mm
THERMALTAKE LITEPOWER 650W
We don't have much choice when it comes to buying an electrical thing due to our economic inflation. If you don't recommend any of these, please recommend a psu, I can wait a little bit to buy it.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
COOLER MASTER MWE 650W 80+ Bronze V2 2xEPS 120mm
OK. This would be fine I suppose. But still wouldn't be considered a great quality PSU.
THERMALTAKE Smart BX1 650W 80+ Bronze 120mm
Worse.
THERMALTAKE Litepower 750W 120mm
Worse.
THERMALTAKE TR2 S 650W 80+ 120mm
Worse.
THERMALTAKE LITEPOWER 650W
Worse.

please recommend a psu
The problem is whatever I do recommend will be out of your budget range. A Corsair CV650 (not lower) would probably be better as this at least is an improved version of the VS.

Problem is if you spend over 3000 Lira on a GPU, a cheap PSU is much more likely to take it out and then you've wasted 3000.

Reactions: Zandion
Oct 3, 2020
one last question. This Zalman PSU is a little bit cheaper than corsair cv650. I saw people using 2080ti with that zalman psu. Which one do you guys recommend? Gonna buy one of those asap and maybe I'll wait for rtx 3070 and compare its turkey price with 2060 super.

one last question. This Zalman PSU is a little bit cheaper than corsair cv650. I saw people using 2080ti with that zalman psu. Which one do you guys recommend? Gonna buy one of those asap and maybe I'll wait for rtx 3070 and compare its turkey price with 2060 super.
You need to plan for a better power supply before buying an expensive GPU. Good power supplies cost more money. Period. If you keep buying cheap power supplies you will have problems.

Reactions: PC Tailor