InTakeYT1

Commendable
Oct 27, 2020
I know the RTX 3060 isn't out yet so this is hard to say but I'm either planning on buying this second hand
Intel Core i7 8700K,
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Motherboard,
Corsair H60 V2 AIO,
16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM,
MSI RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS,
1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD,
1TB Samsung 860 QVO SSD,
Corsair RM750x PSU,
NZXT H510 Matte White Case

Or an Ryzen 5 3600, RTX 3060

Which one ?

(Both Are $1800 AUD) Pretty good deal i know on the second hand one

Solution
What would you say with this build contrasted to the one before (assume the 3070 is a 3060
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TL7j2V

That looks decent - my only comments would be (if budget allows), maybe look at a faster DDR4 kit to get the most out of the 3600 - DDR4 3600 is the performance sweet spot. The difference between 3200 and 3600 isn't massive though so it's only worth it if the kit prices aren't too far apart (often 3600 doesn't really cost much more than 3200 though so worth a look).

The other thought is what do you want to store on the HDD? If you are looking for extra storage for games I'd suggest looking at a Sata SSD instead as many modern games rely on fast storage for streaming in game assets so running...
If you can get the Ryzen 5 + RTX 3060 build for the same price, I'd be tempted by that, depending on other specs? If it has a good motherboard (ideally a 500 series board) you have some strong upgrade options. I'd think based on where the RTX 3070 has landed the 3060 should be on par with 2080 Super, but will probably age better as nVidia tend to focus driver optimisations on the latest core design.

InTakeYT1

Commendable
Oct 27, 2020
If you can get the Ryzen 5 + RTX 3060 build for the same price, I'd be tempted by that, depending on other specs? If it has a good motherboard (ideally a 500 series board) you have some strong upgrade options. I'd think based on where the RTX 3070 has landed the 3060 should be on par with 2080 Super, but will probably age better as nVidia tend to focus driver optimisations on the latest core design.
What would you say with this build contrasted to the one before (assume the 3070 is a 3060

That looks decent - my only comments would be (if budget allows), maybe look at a faster DDR4 kit to get the most out of the 3600 - DDR4 3600 is the performance sweet spot. The difference between 3200 and 3600 isn't massive though so it's only worth it if the kit prices aren't too far apart (often 3600 doesn't really cost much more than 3200 though so worth a look).

The other thought is what do you want to store on the HDD? If you are looking for extra storage for games I'd suggest looking at a Sata SSD instead as many modern games rely on fast storage for streaming in game assets so running then off a HDD can cause stutters and visual popin.

Solution

InTakeYT1

Commendable
Oct 27, 2020

The other thought is what do you want to store on the HDD? If you are looking for extra storage for games I'd suggest looking at a Sata SSD instead as many modern games rely on fast storage for streaming in game assets so running then off a HDD can cause stutters and visual popin.
Games and windows on ssd but video editing on hdd.... but other than that which system

Games and windows on ssd but video editing on hdd.... but other than that which system

I would go with the Ryzen build - just because it's a newer platform (has DDR 4.0 support for example, as do the RTX 3000 series cards) and has better options for future upgrades. B550 boards have support for all the Ryzen 3000 and the new 5000 series cpu's - all the way up to 16 cores if you needed it.

Performance vs the second hand system should be similar in current stuff, I think the RTX 3060 is likely to outpace the 2080 Super in the long run though as it's a totally new architecture. If you get new you also have the bonus of warrantee on all the new parts which you wouldn't get with the second hand machine.

Thing is with the i7-8700k build , the motherboard is high end and has VERY good vrm cooling. Getting it to 5ghz or slightly more is super easy with that motherboard, meaning it beats Ryzen 5 3600 in gaming scenarios. Here is overclocked ryzen 3600 vs i7-8700k at 5ghz comparison :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzjFxFljbVE

Its not that hard and nice skill to learn, expecially with that great corsair power supply. If you dont want to do it then ryzen is good choice too, at stock speeds i7-8700k only slightly beats it.

InTakeYT1

Commendable
Oct 27, 2020
Thing is with the i7-8700k build , the motherboard is high end and has VERY good vrm cooling. Getting it to 5ghz or slightly more is super easy with that motherboard, meaning it beats Ryzen 5 3600 in gaming scenarios. Here is overclocked ryzen 3600 vs i7-8700k at 5ghz comparison :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzjFxFljbVE

Its not that hard and nice skill to learn, expecially with that great corsair power supply. If you dont want to do it then ryzen is good choice too, at stock speeds i7-8700k only slightly beats it.
Ok so now I know the 8700k is better what would you say about:
  • If the 2nd hand pc actually had 32gb ram at 3200mhz
  • 2080 super or 3060 in titles now and to come

16gb ram is completely fine for every game there is atm. Just make sure you runn in dual channel, 2 or 4 sticks installe.d
And i have no idea about 20 or 30 series cards which one is better, someone else needs to answer that, i just upgraded to 900 series myself :)