pushparaajbal

Honorable
Nov 4, 2014
Hi,
I couldn't work and play games effectively due to my outdated CPU :disrelieved:
I am a Designer and a passionate Gamer. I mostly use multimedia software like Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere Pro, 3ds Max. Now i have started learning Game Designing & Animation tools such as Blender, Unity.
So kindly suggest me a midrange upgrades which should be effective for my work loads and capability to play upcoming games.
I can understand upgrading CPU will affect MBD, RAM and even PSU. So do not hesitate to suggest the best. I could spend around 25000-30000INR (below $400) only for CPU and other upgrades as per your recommendation without any budget.

Thanks in advance.

My Spec:
CPU: AMD FX-8120
MBD: Msi 970 Gaming
GPU: Radeon Rx 570 4GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB
HDD: WD Blue 5400RPM
PSU: Corsair 550 Watts
No SSD till now (suggest me one)

Last edited:
Solution
400$ US isn't a lot to go on. Cpu, mobo, ram + ssd is already at that amount for mid range and thats with keeping original psu (which to be fair, if not too old, should be enough powering a more power efficient platform) current 5400hdd storage (500gb ssd for OS, programs and fav games) for general stuff since it's on the very slow scale, not much good for anything else. Keep the hdd for simple purposes, add faster (ie 1tb~2tb 2.5"ssd) storage for more important space later.

These days, a midrange system revolves around Intel i5 10400, Ryzen 5 2600/ onwards to 3600. Would want hyperthreading/smt for your use cases, not single core cpus like i5 9600.

Bit over budget. Your markets are probably different though.

PCPartPicker Part...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
400$ US isn't a lot to go on. Cpu, mobo, ram + ssd is already at that amount for mid range and thats with keeping original psu (which to be fair, if not too old, should be enough powering a more power efficient platform) current 5400hdd storage (500gb ssd for OS, programs and fav games) for general stuff since it's on the very slow scale, not much good for anything else. Keep the hdd for simple purposes, add faster (ie 1tb~2tb 2.5"ssd) storage for more important space later.

These days, a midrange system revolves around Intel i5 10400, Ryzen 5 2600/ onwards to 3600. Would want hyperthreading/smt for your use cases, not single core cpus like i5 9600.

Bit over budget. Your markets are probably different though.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($177.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($73.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $451.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-25 05:59 EDT-0400

Last edited:
Reactions: pushparaajbal
Solution

pushparaajbal

Honorable
Nov 4, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions @boju

I have fixed 400$ budget only for the Processor which would be fair to buy Ryzen 5 5600X/ intel i7 11700k ? (i am not sure about the processor performance, just mentioned)
Also i understand changing my mobo, ram + ssd would do better and haven't fixed any budget for that yet. So keeping my GPU and PSU in hand i should change the other mobo like ram, motherboard, ssd according to the processor.

In my case a want perfect mobo which should not hang up while multitasking, games and even for rendering projects.

I don't have a knowledge on hyperthreading/smt. Kindly share your knowledge and suggest me good mobo overall.

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Both will do what you want. 11700k is faster, two more cores and also needs decent cooling. Noctua D15 will do the job on air with limited overclock, big cooler so check cooler spec and case dimensions. Im not much into water cooling, it's probably recommend on warmish days.

Couldn't recommend a specific motherboard but either Z590/ B560 chipset for Intel and X570/B550 for Amd. 5600x will need a Bios update on most boards though so make sure it can be flashed without a cpu. Msi, Asus and Gigabyte offer this feature on a lot of their boards and will be detailed in specifications. As for specific boards, just search around best mid range board for whatever processor.

Hyperthreading (Intel)/smt (Amd), similarly split cores into two threads, helps with workload.

You will be very pleases with ANY upgrade compared to a FX-8120.

Since your budget is not unlimited, I might suggest the i5-11400.
For Photoshop and such lots of ram is needed; I would think 32gb at least.
No need to chase higher performing ram, more is better.
Intel is not sensitive to ram speeds.

I will never again build without a ssd. My preferred brand is samsung.
Puget systems thinks highly of samsung ssd's

Today, pcie devices are reasonably priced. But, the benefits of very fast sequential processing are not what you think. Most people can not tell the difference.
Here is an amusing video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA

Gaming is mostly limited by your graphics card.
Reuse your RX570 until prices become reasonable.
Here is a review of the 11400:
I would pay extra for the non F version to get the integrated graphics.

Lastly, consider investing in a top quality 750w psu with a 7 to 10 year warranty.

DSzymborski

Titan
Which Corsair PSU do you have? They have quite a few at most wattages, so "550W" doesn't say much. For example, PC Part Picker lists 17 different Corsair PSUs at precisely 550W, ranging from awful (old VS 550) to entry-level (newer VS and CV), to budget (CX), all the way to excellent (RMx). Which one you have affects any recommendation you would get.

pushparaajbal

Honorable
Nov 4, 2014
Which Corsair PSU do you have? They have quite a few at most wattages, so "550W" doesn't say much. For example, PC Part Picker lists 17 different Corsair PSUs at precisely 550W, ranging from awful (old VS 550) to entry-level (newer VS and CV), to budget (CX), all the way to excellent (RMx). Which one you have affects any recommendation you would get.

I have VS 550 which was brought on 2015 i think

I agree with what others wrote here, even a Core i3 10100 will be a huge upgrade over your FX-8120.

If I had to pick a path to upgrade, I would then choose the Core i5 10400 or 11400 (the one thats cheaper on your location) + new B460 or B560 mobo (B560 the better) + 2x8Gb DDR4 3200MHz CL16 (if your current RAM is DDR4 2666MHz or higher you can probably keep it, it wont be such a big different in performance vs a 3200MHz sticks) + SSD.

And yeah the PSU could be a bit better.

pushparaajbal

Honorable
Nov 4, 2014
You will be very pleases with ANY upgrade compared to a FX-8120.

Since your budget is not unlimited, I might suggest the i5-11400.
For Photoshop and such lots of ram is needed; I would think 32gb at least.
No need to chase higher performing ram, more is better.
Intel is not sensitive to ram speeds.

I will never again build without a ssd. My preferred brand is samsung.
Puget systems thinks highly of samsung ssd's

Today, pcie devices are reasonably priced. But, the benefits of very fast sequential processing are not what you think. Most people can not tell the difference.
Here is an amusing video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA

Gaming is mostly limited by your graphics card.
Reuse your RX570 until prices become reasonable.
Here is a review of the 11400:
I would pay extra for the non F version to get the integrated graphics.

Lastly, consider investing in a top quality 750w psu with a 7 to 10 year warranty.

You are right, i will be pleased with any upgrades :sweatsmile:

I am concentrating on budget because of my pc's second hand value. Is it ok to upgrade my old pc by leaving some parts behind?
or Consider that my budget is unlimited; what you would you suggest?

I've been following LTT for all long time. Yeah i have watched this videos already and i was shocked though. Thanks for reminding once again.

pushparaajbal

Honorable
Nov 4, 2014
Then you'll ideally upgrade with your other upgrades. I honestly wouldn't have used this even with your current GPU.

I bought my PSU (VS550) before replacing my old GPU R9 270X. When my old GPU stopped working i was in a hurry to get newer GPU (RX 570).
I thought that my PSU will not affect much with my new GPU.

Overall I made a mistake by replacing every single mobo when its lacks functioning.

I don't want to continue making the same mistake now. So kindly recommend a proper specs with matching mobo

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Grilled some of the internets. Msi x570 Mag seems to please a lot of people, more so compared to Asus strix B550F and X570 pro. Msi supports flashback and can update bios prior to installing 5600x.

D15 cooler and ram clearance is fine raising front fan. Case dimensions to fit raised fan 196mm at least width. 165mm height for heatsink clearing 32mm ram with default fan position. Gskill ram 43.5mm tall. 11.5mm more raised, fan position = 177.5mm taller + case standoffs add 6.5mm = 184mm + socket height add another 5mm = 191mm. Add another 5mm for safety = 196mm.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($279.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($109.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($239.99 @ Adorama)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $829.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-28 01:22 EDT-0400