Status
Not open for further replies.

newid

Reputable
Mar 10, 2018
Recently, I decided to upgrade my CPU from AMD FX-8350 to Ryzen 5 3600.
Alongside with it, came new RAMs and motherboard ofcourse.
I went for MSI X470 Gaming plux max.
The old one was Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P FX
  • The thing is, my download speed is slower then with gigabyte board while using the same cable and everything.
  • Downloading on Steam with the old mobo was stable 30 to 60 MB/s which is as it should be.
With MSI board, downloading have some special behaviour:
  • It starts from around 300KB/s, slowly climbs to and gets stuck at around 15MB/s. Sometimes, when lucky, on last 2 gigabytes it jumps straight to 40MB/s and holds it until the download is finished.
  • Downloading works without any issue on 5GHz wifi on notebook and with the old motherboard using the same cable.
I have a new, clean windows 10 installed.
I googled a bit and found out that there is some software called "MSI Gaming Lan Manager" which caused the problem in most cases but I dont have it installed. In fact, I never had even considered using some download managers or atleast, not intentionally installing it

• Windows shows 1.0 Gb/s connection so I dont know what is happening here
  • Speedtest.net shows 600/60 mb/s which is alright.
I tryed downloading Metal Geard Solid V using notebook which was connected to 5GHz network and the download speed was fine, around 40MB/s. I kept it going for a bit and it was pretty stable. I stopped the download and tryed the same thing on PC and as I already mentioned, it slowly climed under 20MB/s and got stuck.

• My friend which also has MSI mobo, although different, with Intel socket, is facing similiar issue.
  • He tryed adding PCIe slot NIC which didn't help.
  • He switched 3 different ethernet cables, even changed router later on.
  • All without any change.
  • He's got different ISP though.
While downloading games, sometimes, my whole connection goes down for about few seconds and then it comes up again.
Windows doesn't detect anything at all, in fact, it says I am connected to the internet while spotify goes down, teamspeak too, loading websites, plus download speed starts dropping the same way as it is climbing. This kind of "blackout" lasts until the download speed doesnt fall under 1MB/s then it comes back up again.
TL;DR: I got new MSI motherboard on which I get half of the download speed I used to with 10 year old Gigabyte board using the same cable and everything

Last edited:

newid

Reputable
Mar 10, 2018
did you install msi dragon center? try turn off the lan manager.
As I mentioned, I never even considered installing this kind of software.
Does it install or somehow enables by itselfs ? Because Control Panel>Uninstall Programs on Windows is pretty much clean.
No Dragon center, no nothing. Just plain Windows 10 with Nvidia Experience for GPU drivers

newid

Reputable
Mar 10, 2018
EDIT: While downloading games, sometimes, my whole connection goes down for about few seconds and then it comes up again.
Windows doesn't detect anything at all, in fact, it says I am connected to the internet while spotify goes down, teamspeak too, loading websites, plus download speed starts dropping the same way as it is climbing. This kind of "blackout" lasts until the download speed doesnt fall under 1MB/s then it comes back up again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.