[SOLVED] Trying to squeeze some more out of my GTX 750 TI. Any OC tips?

danielzxe

Honorable
Dec 16, 2015
Hello guys, i'm Alex, i got some questions since i'm barely into overclocking.
I got an EVGA GTX 750 Ti 2GB GDDR5 (paired with an i3-9100f). It's an pretty old card, and i'm trying to squeeze some more juice out of it.
I don't have any benchmarks installed right now, but some tips would be great.
I OC-ed previously on another install of Windows, and fortunately i have saved my settings.

https://prnt.sc/17g0u8b - default settings

https://prnt.sc/17g10oh - OC

So, as i said, i'm looking for some tips. Should i go further? Is it enough? Is it bad, is it good?
I'll soon replace it with something else, but i'll have to do with this right now.

Thanks in advice.

Solution
Your card is running at default clock speed @80c.
If you can get the card to run cooler it will boost higher.
The overclock sliders only work if you can keep the card cooled properly.
As the card gets hotter the clocks lower to keep it from overheating.

Solution

Vana Ivan Pandovski

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2014
Ok, first thing, when you OC GPU, is all about power, how much power room the GPU have to increase, in your case you have no additional power, your power slider is on 100% you have no more, and when you do that you have to increase the temp limit to, so that the card doesn't throttle sooner if it gets hot, etc. I can see you add +192mhz on your core clock, and some 375mhz on the memory, that will be enough, don't push it, since it doesn't have room for more additional power and good cooling. Never forget to push the Temperature limit to the end.
Here I'll show you how settings should look on an OC card, design to be overclocked, although any GPU can be overclocked the point is to how much, power delivery, cooling is the highest priority then you go punch on the core until you find it stable, then you go for the memory until you find it stable core+memory both.

Stock no power limit increased: http://puu.sh/HSzFq/26aba863ac.png

Stock power limit and temp limit increased= more headroom for OC: http://puu.sh/HSzFM/c02c07de54.png

This card is very powerful, and in terms of power, its stock TDP is 300W, which can be increased by 24% more, when the slider will be added to 124%, that is an additional 73W, which makes a total of 373W on average, it tends to go 420W sometimes, but cooling becomes an issue, fans on 100% cannot cool it down that is too much power. So the best choice is water block.

danielzxe

Honorable
Dec 16, 2015

So as long as i keep it properly cooled, i won't get no screen glitches or artifacts?

Vana Ivan Pandovski

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2014
No his card is not running at 80C, it is running at 40c, it is just the power slider is @ 80c, he needs to increase it, so it doesn't throttle down on the clock much sooner.

Vana Ivan Pandovski

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2014
So as long as I keep it properly cooled, I won't get any screen glitches or artifacts?
Well cooling sure, you have no additional power to add that is the issue, artifacts can happen anytime on unstable overclock, like if you add too much MHz on the core or the memory. Keep it maximum cooled, for OC you need to sacrifice a bit noise fans need to go full, depends on the temps, and don't add too much on the core and the memory, it just might damage your card, since the power is already caped before you even add any MHz to the core. The thing is as long as your core and memory OC is stable you will not get any artifacts or screen glitches, if you get any try lower core or memory a bit down.

A vBIOS mod is required if you want to get any kind of speed out of a 750Ti, because the default voltages are too high. See, for half a decade now the driver has enforced an absolute limit of 1.187v so the card will boost right up until the point it hits that voltage and go no further.

I have a reference 750Ti with no 6-pin connector and the stock boost table said 1150MHz at that voltage so no matter what I set for core boost clock it would never exceed that speed in games. That was exactly the same speed it ran at with no overclocking, just the stock boost.

I simply opened the BIOS in MaxwellBIOStweaker and reduced all of the voltages in the voltage table above 1.1813v to that (including P00), clear up to the 1293.5MHz at the top of the stock boost table (which I figured was plenty as I have only a reference orb cooler, your card may have a higher table, or better cooler making it worth modifying it) and changed the base clock to 1202MHz and memory clock to 3004MHz.
I flashed the BIOS with the NVFlash_Certs_Bypassed_v5.287_x64 modified by Joe Dirt and the result is it runs continuously at 1293.5 in games at an astonishingly low 36w, as reported by GPU-Z (I suppose it is undervolted compared to the stock BIOS but then it's running 143MHz faster too).

Interestingly the factory board maximum power limit in the power table came set to 47w at 100% despite the card's supposed 60w TDP, so neither the 75w PCIe limit or cooling should be any problem at all. This was a very efficient card that was as fast as a 250w TDP card from just 4 years before, and at least 1/3 faster than a GT1030.