sunit swapnasarit

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
Today I decided to undervolt my i7 13700K. And I also changed Changed Long duration power limit and short duration power limit.
What I did are as follows
(1) Disabled enforce all limits
(2) Changed Long duration power limit and short duration power limit 125 and 253 respectively
(3) Global core svid voltage - ADAPTIVE MODE
(4) offset mode sign (-)(negative)
(5) Offset voltage 0.10000. (-0.102)
Is this all I needed to do? After doing this I am seeing somewhere from 7C to 15C lower temps when gaming.

I have ASUS TUF z690 DDR5 MOBO.
I7 13700K
RTX 4070TI
1000 watt smps

Solution
You don't need to change power limits usually. Doing so will be a sizeable performance hit in certain scenarios like productivity tasks, and gaming shouldn't draw that much power anyways. For example, I undervolted my 12700K with PL1=PL2= unlocked. It never goes past 155W, and that is in Cinebench with slight OC. Without OC, it never goes past 135W. In games, it stays below 100W normally. The chip shouldn't really approach 125W at all, and if it does, a couple more wouldn't make a big difference in temperature anyways.

Basically, all I did was 3 and 4 in your post, though I set my UV to a slightly more aggressive -0.110 (0.109 in HWInfo).

KyaraM

Admirable
You don't need to change power limits usually. Doing so will be a sizeable performance hit in certain scenarios like productivity tasks, and gaming shouldn't draw that much power anyways. For example, I undervolted my 12700K with PL1=PL2= unlocked. It never goes past 155W, and that is in Cinebench with slight OC. Without OC, it never goes past 135W. In games, it stays below 100W normally. The chip shouldn't really approach 125W at all, and if it does, a couple more wouldn't make a big difference in temperature anyways.

Basically, all I did was 3 and 4 in your post, though I set my UV to a slightly more aggressive -0.110 (0.109 in HWInfo).

Reactions: sunit swapnasarit
Solution

sunit swapnasarit

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014

Ok So i just need to remove the PL1 and pl2 power limit and put them in auto and then i am good?

KyaraM

Admirable
Ok So i just need to remove the PL1 and pl2 power limit and put them in auto and then i am good?
I explicitly set PL1 and PL2 to the highest possible number, which is 4079W or something like that. Or rather, I kept it that way, since it was pre-applied by the mainboard. They didn't really matter anyways as stated above. I would personally try it with both settings, yours and mine, then see which you like better. But undervolting, at its base, really is simple like that. It's the fine tuning that is the complicated part

sunit swapnasarit

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
I can not explain how good it is. It ususe less power when doing CPUz stress test and temps are loke 15c lower. Previously it would touch 100c in a matter of seconds. Now doing the same test temps are around 85c. I didn't really wanted to do it as previously i seen some videos and they used xtu to do it and it looked complected. Then i found a video that showed it really easy. Then i got the courage to do it.

RobK92

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020
Today I decided to undervolt my i7 13700K. And I also changed Changed Long duration power limit and short duration power limit.
What I did are as follows
(1) Disabled enforce all limits
(2) Changed Long duration power limit and short duration power limit 125 and 253 respectively
(3) Global core svid voltage - ADAPTIVE MODE
(4) offset mode sign (-)(negative)
(5) Offset voltage 0.10000. (-0.102)
Is this all I needed to do? After doing this I am seeing somewhere from 7C to 15C lower temps when gaming.

I have ASUS TUF z690 DDR5 MOBO.
I7 13700K
RTX 4070TI
1000 watt smps
I did almost the same after I fired up my new PC. Did wonders :)

Just a question, when you game does ur 13700k sometime spike in temperature for a very short duration?
I notice that my temps are around 50-55c when gaming and sometimes it can spike up to 68-71c -according to HW monitor

Is it common?

sunit swapnasarit

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
I did almost the same after I fired up my new PC. Did wonders :)

Just a question, when you game does ur 13700k sometime spike in temperature for a very short duration?
I notice that my temps are around 50-55c when gaming and sometimes it can spike up to 68-71c -according to HW monitor

Is it common?
Yeah mine does that too. I asked around reddit they say its normal for 13th and 12th gen cpu to do.

Reactions: RobK92