gmemoriam

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2013
Hi everyone.

I currently own a i7 6700k with a Corsair 32gb RAM 3000mhz, a GTX 1070 Strix GPU.

I use this computer mainly to video editing and 2d motion graphics (Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects). I also use it for a casual gaming but it's just the 10% of the time.
In my last few works I've noticed that my build is getting a little bit old since the rendering is taking so much time and compositing in After Effects is not exactly fluid.
So I was thinking to upgrade my i7 6700k to Ryzen 7 3700x or Ryzen 9 3900x. I know I have to upgrade also my motherboard and maybe add some extra RAM but that's not an issue.

About that I have some questions:
  1. Since my first choice is 3900x I'd like to know if that's going to be a whorty upgrade (having in mind that my mainly use will be video editing, motion graphics and rendering).
  2. Talking about 3900x I'm worried about power consumption (idle and load). In my country the electricity is really expensive so this could be an issue. Is this proccesor much more power consuming that 6700k?
  3. I own a 650w power supply. Should I upgraded it also if I choose a 3900x?
  4. In the other hand I find that 3700x is lesser consuming that 3900x. But it would be a whorty upgrade from my i7 6700k?

Thanks a lot
(and sorry for my awful english)

Solution
Either option would be a significant performance upgrade for you.
The i7 is 4 cores/8 threads.
The 3700x is 8 cores/16 threads
3900x is 12 cores/24 threads

So just from upgrading the # of cores you're looking at double to triple the work getting done.

You'll want 3200Mhz ram speed minimum. Make sure you verify the intended ram is on the ram manufacturers compatibility list for your motherbd. It should be more current the then motherbd's compatibility list.

popatim

Titan

So just from upgrading the # of cores you're looking at double to triple the work getting done.

You'll want 3200Mhz ram speed minimum. Make sure you verify the intended ram is on the ram manufacturers compatibility list for your motherbd. It should be more current the then motherbd's compatibility list.

Reactions: gmemoriam
Solution

gmemoriam

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2013

Thanks for your answer popatim.
And how about the power consumption? Is it going to be much bigger that my 6700k if I choose 3900x?

Thanks again

Power consumption is double, which sounds bad but in reality that's only an extra 70w at full tilt.

Factor in it has literally 3x the mutithreaded performance and it actually has way better efficiency than Intel.

So no your psu is fine, extra power draw isn't an issue considering the performance increase.

Your current ram is very likely fine to drop straight in to a ryzen build, on the proviso that it's 2x16 gb sticks rather than 4 x 8gb.

4x 8gb 'may' still work but require some manual tinkering.

I would actually try it before dropping extra money on new ram, I'd argue that 3000mhz is still fast enough for ryzen to offer good performance.

gmemoriam

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2013
Power consumption is double, which sounds bad but in reality that's only an extra 70w at full tilt.

Factor in it has literally 3x the mutithreaded performance and it actually has way better efficiency than Intel.

So no your psu is fine, extra power draw isn't an issue considering the performance increase.

Your current ram is very likely fine to drop straight in to a ryzen build, on the proviso that it's 2x16 gb sticks rather than 4 x 8gb.

4x 8gb 'may' still work but require some manual tinkering.

I would actually try it before dropping extra money on new ram, I'd argue that 3000mhz is still fast enough for ryzen to offer good performance.

Hi madmatt30.
Thanks for answer.

Wow.
That's a big increase in power consumption.
I'm starting to think that 3700x will probably be the best choice since will work remarcably better than my 6700k and the power consumption will not be that big.

Hi madmatt30.
Thanks for answer.

Wow.
That's a big increase in power consumption.
I'm starting to think that 3700x will probably be the best choice since will work remarcably better than my 6700k and the power consumption will not be that big.

Read what mdd1963 posted above, I should really have stated this.

That 70w increase is at absolute max 100% load on all threads, which is actually unlikely to happen even on a heavy duty encode/render.

The fact is it will do the job around 3 times faster in this case, which means you're actually using less power for an equivalent workload compared to your i7.

Ryzen is capable of using less power at lower/idle loads than any Intel cpu.

That max possible power usage on the 3900x is not a valid reason not to buy it.

That said the 3700x is probably enough for you, and price wise overall its a more cost efficient option.