peterlooper

Honorable
Jun 18, 2016
Hello everyone,
I was leaning towards pairing an i9-11900k with the Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro AX (rev. 1.0). However, I realized that part of the VRM of the motherboard is not covered by the heatsink, as seen in the picture attached( image ). Will it be a problem when it comes to temperatures? One alternative is the MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Plus.
What do you think about the heatsink issue and about those motherboards in general?
Thank you very much in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
The part that you've marked with red boxes don't need a heatsink...if they did, they would've come that way from the factory. Also, if you add a heatsink atop of the demarcated area, you cause clearance issues to CPU socket area when installing aftermarket coolers.

It's not an issue, it's by design that way from Gigabyte. MSI needed to add an extended heatsink to the power delivery since their components are lower tier, meaning they need active cooling and perhaps can't tolerate much heat(or operate under them).

Any other brands that you have at your disposal? Where are you located? Budget for your board in your build?

I would have no good reason to pick one over the other.
But, if you are buying new, I would buy current 12th gen processor and a B660 or Z690 DDR4 based motherboard.
For example the I5-12600K performs better than the 11900K and is some $100 cheaper.

What is the main purpose of the build?
What is your budget?

What do you think about the heatsink issue and about those motherboards in general?
The parts inside the red box are coils (inductors), the black boxy things, and capacitors. They are both passive components unlike the FET's. Coils in particular have extreme temperature tolerance (essentially the melting temperature of the wire inside) and don't need heatsinking. Capacitors do have temp sensitive life spans but cooling with a heatsink won't help them much, if at all, because of how they work.

A quality board might use caps rated to 10,000 hours @ 105C, a standard board 5,000 hours. Either is crazy long since caps should only run around 50-60C. Cheap Chinese no-name or un-branded caps might pop at a few hundred hours. That's why people look for products with quality branded capacitors in critical areas like motherboard VRM.

Last edited: