Jan 10, 2021
So I have this old computer from like 1990 and I want to power it on but I don't have any power cables for it.

On the back of the big monitor there is this socket: View: https://i.imgur.com/3GXQ082.png

Surprisingly it looks just like the socket I have on my modern computer.
Does that mean any normal power cable like this will work? View: https://i.imgur.com/vpwuBVv.png

Above that socket is says
Code:
100 - 125 V / 200 - 240 V~; 50 - 60 Hz; 1.8A / 1 A;
though. Do I need a specific one?

And now as for the tower of the computer, this is the back of it: View: https://i.imgur.com/MaYjeMo.png

Transcription for the label on the left:
Code:
100-125V~  2A MAX    200-240V~  1A MAX
. Not sure what that means.
The socket on the right looks like it's the same as on the monitor, but I'm not sure what the socket on the left is supposed to be for.
What cables do I need?
Then there's also this red switch in the middle that has three trigger levels (currently it's 230). Not sure what that thing is for either. Does anyone know what it's called?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Does that mean any normal power cable like this will work?
Yes.

Code:
Ignore that socket. Not necessary to use it.
It is used to connect monitor power directly to pc with this type of cable.

0009292_monitor-power-cords.jpeg

Then there's also this red switch in the middle that has three trigger levels (currently it's 230). Not sure what that thing is for either. Does anyone know what it's called?
That switch is for switching between different power grid voltages.
If your power grid is 220-240V (Europe), then leave the switch on 230V.
If your power grid is 125V (USA), then flip the switch to 125V mode.

Note - if you flip the switch to 125V and connect to 220V grid, then PSU blows up. Don't do that.

Reactions: refillable and kook
So I have this old computer from like 1990 and I want to power it on but I don't have any power cables for it.

Code:

Transcription for the label on the left:
Code:
100-125V~  2A MAX    200-240V~  1A MAX
. Not sure what that means.
The socket on the right looks like it's the same as on the monitor, but I'm not sure what the socket on the left is supposed to be for.
What cables do I need?

I would greatly appreciate any help.
Powering up a computer with a 30+ year old power supply may be risky. If it pops and smokes I would not be surprised at all. If you have a fire extinguisher I would keep it close by.

Reactions: kook

jasonf2

Distinguished
You can go to any electronics store or amazon and buy the cable. Just look up IEC power cable. The three prong IEC has been the standard switching power supply input cable for as long as I can remember and I have been doing this since the late 80s.