Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
According to Microsoft's PC Health Check app, my low-end laptop supports every requirement, except the CPU. What will happen, if i install Windows 11 on my laptop?

Also, i have one more question. The PC Health Check app says this:

"The processor clock speed is 1Ghz or faster."

At the same time, the app also says:

"This processor isn't currently supported for Windows 11."

So, how can the CPU meet the minimum requirements, but be not supported at the same time?

This is the results from Microsoft's PC Health Check app:

NO: This processor isn't currently supported for Windows 11.
YES: This PC supports Secure Boot. YES: TPM 2.0 enabled on this PC.
YES: There is at least 4 GB of system memory (RAM).
YES: The system disk is 64 GB or larger.
YES: The processor has two or more cores.
YES: The processor clock speed is 1 GHz or faster.

The first line says the CPU is unsupported, while the last line says the CPU is supported. Microsoft's official statement is that my CPU should be supported, because Windows 11's CPU requirement is 1 GHz, and my CPU is 1.5 GHz.

This is the CPU i currently have: AMD A4-9120e RADEON R3, 4 COMPUTE CORES 2C+2G

Could it be that this CPU is actually supported, but there is a bug showing it's not supported? If it's really unsupported, what will happen if i still install Windows 11? Will Windows 11 run smoothly on my laptop, despite the fact that only one requirement is not met?

Solution
You can take a windows 10 installation media and swap out the install.wim or install.esd with that of windows 11 and the install will complete without issues.
I am running windows 11 on an unsupported CPU right now and everything works fine.
There is also a way to edit the installation files of the windows 11 installation media, you can find guides on the net easily.
Finally you can use dism, which is part of windows, to manually apply the windows 11 sources/install.wim to a partition.

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
I'd guess it is simple enough:

Some 1 ghz processors are supported for Win 11 and some aren't. Yours isn't.
Yes, it seems my CPU is (still) unsupported. However, can someone explain to me what would happen if i still install Windows 11? The minimum requirement is 1 GHz, my CPU is 1.5 GHz. Does that mean there won't be any problems?

Yes, it seems my CPU is (still) unsupported. However, can someone explain to me what would happen if i still install Windows 11? The minimum requirement is 1 GHz, my CPU is 1.5 GHz. Does that mean there won't be any problems?

My guess would be that it would fail to install.....refused because the installer will identify your CPU and realize it is not supported.

There may be a workaround.....usually somebody tries to come up with one....but I have no idea how well it might work.

Win 11 is unremarkable by all accounts. Win 10 will be supported for 3 more years. If you simply must have it, you can fish around for the workaround.....or get a supported CPU.

You can take a windows 10 installation media and swap out the install.wim or install.esd with that of windows 11 and the install will complete without issues.
I am running windows 11 on an unsupported CPU right now and everything works fine.
There is also a way to edit the installation files of the windows 11 installation media, you can find guides on the net easily.
Finally you can use dism, which is part of windows, to manually apply the windows 11 sources/install.wim to a partition.

Solution
Apr 25, 2022
According to Microsoft's PC Health Check app, my low-end laptop supports every requirement, except the CPU. What will happen, if i install Windows 11 on my laptop?

Also, i have one more question. The PC Health Check app says this:

"The processor clock speed is 1Ghz or faster."

At the same time, the app also says:

"This processor isn't currently supported for Windows 11."

So, how can the CPU meet the minimum requirements, but be not supported at the same time?

This is the results from Microsoft's PC Health Check app:

NO: This processor isn't currently supported for Windows 11.
YES: This PC supports Secure Boot. YES: TPM 2.0 enabled on this PC.
YES: There is at least 4 GB of system memory (RAM).
YES: The system disk is 64 GB or larger.
YES: The processor has two or more cores.
YES: The processor clock speed is 1 GHz or faster.

The first line says the CPU is unsupported, while the last line says the CPU is supported. Microsoft's official statement is that my CPU should be supported, because Windows 11's CPU requirement is 1 GHz, and my CPU is 1.5 GHz.

This is the CPU i currently have: AMD A4-9120e RADEON R3, 4 COMPUTE CORES 2C+2G

Could it be that this CPU is actually supported, but there is a bug showing it's not supported? If it's really unsupported, what will happen if i still install Windows 11? Will Windows 11 run smoothly on my laptop, despite the fact that only one requirement is not met?

I have exactly the same problem except that my processor is an Intel(R) Core (TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00 GHz 3.00 which is listed by Microsoft as compatible

joeldf

Commendable
Oct 11, 2021
I have exactly the same problem except that my processor is an Intel(R) Core (TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00 GHz 3.00 which is listed by Microsoft as compatible

Actually, the i5-7400 is NOT on Microsoft's list. The "7" in the "7400" means it's a 7th Gen processor, and Microsoft cuts off compatibility at the 8th Gen processors. i5 compatibility starts with the i5-8200Y.

Although, there are a few specific 7th Gen i7 and i9 models that are listed, but no 7th Gen i5 CPUs.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...pported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

Apr 25, 2022
Actually, the i5-7400 is NOT on Microsoft's list. The "7" in the "7400" means it's a 7th Gen processor, and Microsoft cuts off compatibility at the 8th Gen processors. i5 compatibility starts with the i5-8200Y.

Although, there are a few specific 7th Gen i7 and i9 models that are listed, but no 7th Gen i5 CPUs.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...pported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors
Hi joeldf, thanks for taking the trouble to reply. I am no expert but I checked the list of microsoft compatible processors for my setup and it appears to me that mine should be ok. I have attached the link below. If it is not to be I will have to live with it for now but I would really like to upgrade my current system to Windows 11 without any detailed technical knowledge involved. Windows Processor Requirements Windows 10 21H1 Supported Intel Processors | Microsoft Docs

Apr 25, 2022
Hi joeldf, thanks for taking the trouble to reply. I am no expert but I checked the list of microsoft compatible processors for my setup and it appears to me that mine should be ok. I have attached the link below. If it is not to be I will have to live with it for now but I would really like to upgrade my current system to Windows 11 without any detailed technical knowledge involved. Windows Processor Requirements Windows 10 21H1 Supported Intel Processors | Microsoft Docs
Hi Again joeldf, I think I may have misunderstood what is required. Thanks

joeldf

Commendable
Oct 11, 2021
Hi Again joeldf, I think I may have misunderstood what is required. Thanks

Yeah, as @DSzymborski says, that link in your post was for Win 10, which has a much wider range of suppported CPUs. Even then, at the top of the list it says it may work on many more CPUs. And it does.

But I provided a link to the Win 11 supported CPU list. And Win 11 is a much more definitive and hard line list. If your CPU is not on that list, Win 11 will not install on that machine.

Now, there are tricks to get around that, but unless somehow your life depends on getting Win 11, it's just not worth the trouble and possible future problems that may come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.