raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Hi guys. Title sums it up. Since december 2022 , Windows updates keeps failing after the restart at 97% or so. I think the first update that failed was December 13 (KB5021233) , I just paused the update wand waited for teh next ones thinking that might fix it but no go , 2 more updates since then , all failing to ''we couldn't complete the updates undoing changes..''. Tryed fixing the update with the troubleshooter , with the media creation tool from USB and from windows. Tryed sfc scannow and dism commands.
Heard some guy here had some problem with the registry or so and was fixable by windows reinstall , but that is a pain to me because all of the data and programs and the way they're installed.
Is there any way to fix the update or the registry without reinstalling windows ? Manually install it or something , idk , editing the registry.
Thanks in advance.

Windows 10 PRO 64-bit

Solution
UPDATE & FIX !
Managed to fix the updates with MAS Software 's troubleshoot tools , with the rebuild wmi repository tool.
Everything updated like it should and worked fine. Thank you all for your help and guidance.

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Use usb to do an in place upgrade
Will my programs / settings be the same ? I have alot of profiles saved. Also everything on one partition. Do I need to reinstall premiere/photoshop settings games etc drivers?
I mean some upgrades like this create somekind of windows.old folder. Is this as easy as an normal update ?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

They will be preserved. It’s just an “ upgrade”

It’s just the same as doing it through windows update only manually doing it. It will not be bound by the same rules as windows update because it is a full upgrade.

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
They will be preserved. It’s just an “ upgrade”

It’s just the same as doing it through windows update only manually doing it. It will not be bound by the same rules as windows update because it is a full upgrade.
Oh. So I just select 'keep personal files and apps'' like here ? I'm confused because there is a way to update windows via the media creation tool but that didn't work out. Just told me that I'm already to date. So this is the other thing to do then.

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Yeah. Tried installing it now but for some reason the installer froze at 35% , mouse still worked untill i clicked cancelled and then it froze too. I had to restart it manually. Hope it didn't brick anything. Got to windows and everything.

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Check health of your windows OS drive.

For mechanical HDD use HDtune health.
For SSD use SSD manufacturer specific SSD software.
I'll check but probably is just my dumb PC , isn't the most stable one but I live with the bsod a few days at a time in exchange for the undervolting on CPU.
Probably if i run the installer again will work just fine. Well , I hope windows has somekind of reverting if something gets wrong while the installer runs no ? I mean the power could cut for no reason while you install it. PC seems to work fine.

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Yeah. Tried again today. First time the installer crashed at 3%. I formated and reinstalled the USB stick with the media creation tool again and re-run the setup , then crashed at 77%.
I don't think is my PC randomly crashing this time. Also HDD life good. I might let with without updates till i get windows 11. Hope just I don't need some critial updates till then. I'm also planning a PC upgrade soon ish.

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Probably your undervolting has made your pc unstable.
Revert to normal settings. Remove all your undervolting/overclocking.
I had another thread for that here. This is the only way it's working right now and it's an old PC mostly used for one game and editing photos/media stuff. The problem is. I get a crash a week maybe , doing whatever. While with the installer I'm preety much sure it'll crash like everytime.

TRENDING THREADS