[SOLVED] Xeon e3 1230 v2 xeon cpu will be compatible with my mobo or not

orika

Reputable
Sep 18, 2017
The mobo is this btw https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H61M-S1 PLUS/index.asp
Confused in the graphics section where it says hdmi upto 1920x1000. Just wanna know if it's the igpu which it is talking about and not the dedicated gpu i will add. And will my intel stock cooler which i got with my i3 3220 be fine with this processor? Which GPU would you guys recommend to pair this with?

Solution
Well i might buy a used rx 570 or 1060.
Just be aware that the 1060 performs differently based on whether it has 3 GB or 6 GB of RAM. The 6 GB version is obviously better.

I think this doesn't apply to the AMD cards, however. AFAIK, the 4 GB and 8 GB cards are the same speed. They might've made two versions of the RX 570 4 GB with different numbers of shaders, but maybe I'm confusing it with a different model.

Which cooler would you recommened btw? Not looking for anything that might cost more than like 30 usd ( could use use sites like amazon.in mdcomputers.in primeabgb.com) Is it completely fine to use the stock cooler. Budget is really tight hence the reason i am asking
Yeah, I was going to clarify about that. You...

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
First, the CPU supported list includes Xeon E3-1230 v2. So, on that front, you're good:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H61M-S1 PLUS/index.asp#CPU

As for the graphics resolution, it's definitely talking about the iGPU resolution. What resolution you can achieve with a dGPU has nothing to do with the motherboard.

Regarding the cooler, consider that your i3 is rated at a TDP of 55 W, while that Xeon has a TDP of 69 W. So, you should at least keep an eye on your CPU temps and consider upgrading to an aftermarket cooler.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=65732,65693

As for the recommended dGPU, it has a lot to do with what you want to use it for.

orika

Reputable
Sep 18, 2017
Well i might buy a used rx 570 or 1060. Which cooler would you recommened btw? Not looking for anything that might cost more than like 30 usd ( could use use sites like amazon.in mdcomputers.in primeabgb.com) Is it completely fine to use the stock cooler. Budget is really tight hence the reason i am asking

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Well i might buy a used rx 570 or 1060.
Just be aware that the 1060 performs differently based on whether it has 3 GB or 6 GB of RAM. The 6 GB version is obviously better.

I think this doesn't apply to the AMD cards, however. AFAIK, the 4 GB and 8 GB cards are the same speed. They might've made two versions of the RX 570 4 GB with different numbers of shaders, but maybe I'm confusing it with a different model.

Which cooler would you recommened btw? Not looking for anything that might cost more than like 30 usd ( could use use sites like amazon.in mdcomputers.in primeabgb.com) Is it completely fine to use the stock cooler. Budget is really tight hence the reason i am asking
Yeah, I was going to clarify about that. You won't hurt the CPU by using the stock cooler. The CPU fan might run a bit loud and the worst that would happen is you'll see it drop the clock speed quite substantially, during multi-core loads, if it turns out the i3's stock cooler can't keep up. However, I half-suspect that the i3 just came with the same stock cooler they shipped with the i5 and i7, in which case it'll be totally fine.

So, yeah, I'd first try the i3's stock cooler and just see how it goes. The main thing will be completely removing the old heatsink compound from it (and the new CPU), and then using a fresh application of something decent. During the cleaning process, use isoproply alcohol (available in the first aid section of pharmacies, Walmart, etc. - get 91% if you can find it), apply to a paper towel, and wipe. Keep doing this until no more material transfers onto the paper towel.

As for replacement compound, I'm partial to Artic Cooling MX-4, because it's easy to work with and lasts a long time. That said, there are better options out there, and it's been a few years since I last shopped around for any.

If you do end up replacing it, I don't have any good heatsink recommendations to give, but advice shouldn't be hard to find. Or, you can just find something in your budget that has lots of good reviews.

Solution

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks man, understood some of what you said but you have helped me more than enough, gonna learn the rest of the stuff on youtube. Cheers!
Thanks for the feedback.

Feel free to come back and ask more questions on this site. There's a lot of info about heatsinks, compounds, GPUs, etc. and lots of knowledgable folks in those forums.

It's great that you're tackling this project and willing to learn. It's basically how we all got started. Good luck!