Status
Not open for further replies.

SaM_SpArK

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2016
Hi, I have got a MikroTik Radio router antenna on the roof for my internet P2P connection and it's also my router for home devices which are connected to it via an 8 port Gigabit TP-link switch.

So i need something to connect it to my switch and broadcast AC Wifi for mobile phone and laptop users(something like a wifi AP) can i approach that with a range extenders ? like TPL AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender RE210 it has got an ethernet port(https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/range-extender/re210/).

i have no WiFi router or Wifi adaptor on my network right now

Not sure if the extender will work as an access point - most are needing to be setup to an existing WIFI and the ethernet port is part of the client-bridge setup to give wired devices access to your network through it's own wifi connection.

If I were looking to get a dedicated AP I would look at the TP-Link EAP225, AC1200 for under $70 - really good bang-per-buck!

It claimed top spot in the AC AP roundup @ smallnetbuilder

Last edited:
Reactions: SaM_SpArK

SaM_SpArK

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2016
Not sure if the extender will work as an access point - most are needing to be setup to an existing WIFI and the ethernet port is part of the client-bridge setup to give wired devices access to your network through it's own wifi connection.

If I were looking to get a dedicated AP I would look at the TP-Link EAP225, AC1200 for under $70 - really good bang-per-buck!

It claimed top spot in the AC AP roundup @ smallnetbuilder
nice recommendation but they are not available where i live unfortunately. i really need to know if that range extenders work as AP or not. didn't find any answer on reviews of range extenders

SaM_SpArK

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2016
When I looked at the specs it unfortunately did not mention any AP functionality, so it's probably not supported on that device.

How about a router in AP mode? Would also work (although not as good range as the EAP), stateside the TP Link C1200 is priced very well at $40 and support AP modes just as well
That's a good one but heavily overpriced here. these wall mounted APs drew my attention and their specs look well to my situation but didin't find any info about their coverage range ? would u recommend them ? Tenda products are so handy to buy here

https://www.tendacn.com/en/product/W6-US.html
https://www.tp-link.com/uk/business-networking/wall-plate-ap/eap115-wall/#overview

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Where do you live?
I live in America and I purchased a Tenda AC router for $40 in Amazon a long while back and have been happy since.

What you need good sir is a WiFi router.

You will connect it to the Ethernet switch you have and in turn it will give WiFi and 4 additional Ethernet ports. Don't be trying to get weird with extenders

SaM_SpArK

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2016
Where do you live?
I live in America and I purchased a Tenda AC router for $40 in Amazon a long while back and have been happy since.

What you need good sir is a WiFi router.

You will connect it to the Ethernet switch you have and in turn it will give WiFi and 4 additional Ethernet ports. Don't be trying to get weird with extenders
Yeah I know a router must be the first option but the problem here is money. i had been using a cheap zyxel router as wifi AP for 7 years and lately i had a whole set of signal and freezing problem with it. so i'm looking for a cheap solution as wifi AP. unfortunately 40$ is too much here.

SaM_SpArK

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2016
When I looked at the specs it unfortunately did not mention any AP functionality, so it's probably not supported on that device.

How about a router in AP mode? Would also work (although not as good range as the EAP), stateside the TP Link C1200 is priced very well at $40 and support AP modes just as well
According to Tp- link thech support wifi extenders do not Work as wifi AP

I am sorry that for the RE210, it is a wifi range extender and used to pick up the wifi signal from your main router wirelessly and can not connect the switch by Ethernet cable. The Ethernet port on this extender is used to provide client devices like PCs Ethernet connection.

SaM_SpArK

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2016
Finally my Xiaomi Mi Powerline WiFi is here. Installation was so quick everything went fine.but took a sometime to search on internet to figure out the management of the device by Xiaomi Mi Home App which is chinese like the whole boxing and the booklet inside.But it was easy to do that thanks to Google image Translator.i'm getting 140mgb anywhere around 10m away of the Wifi unit. the con is that it's extremely short ranged, covering less than 15m but overall is good

Status
Not open for further replies.