[SOLVED] Best (trustworthy) PSU for my build?

Aug 22, 2020
Hello everybody. Recently I had a problem with my new build which was rebooting every time the GPU was under load (Here is the original post). It turned out after a few days of troubleshooting that the problem was coming from a faulty (new!) PSU. I sent the PSU back for warranty but after reading a little bit more I just decided I wanted to upgrade the PSU anyways to avoid having simmilar problems in the future. The options I have considering the budget, my country's market and the time, are these:

1. Xpg Core Reactor 650w 80+ Gold
  2. Gigabyte G750H 750W 80+ Gold (about the same price as the XPG)
  3. Evga 750 GA 750w 80+ Gold (20% more expensive than the other 2, which are already a little out of budget since this is the SECOND psu I'm buying in a couple of weeks)
Is 750w an overkill for my build (below)? What do you think is a good option? The first two have a 1yr warranty in my country but they seem to have very good reviews everywhere, so I don't know whether I should trust them. The EVGA has a 10 yr warranty but it's so out of budget I'd only consider buying that if it brings me breakfast to bed or something... but that 10yr thing makes me think.

Anyway, thanks in advance :).

This is my biuld, by the way.

• CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (basic clock. Stock cooler)
  • GPU: XFX RX580 8GB (basic clock, I think)
  • RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200Mhz
  • PSU: Corsair CV650W 80+Bronze
  • Board: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
  • Chasis: Corsair Carbidge Spec-06. Two 120mm fans: front and rear.
  • Samsung Evo 970 Plus Nvme M.2 500GB
  • Windows 10/64bit

Last edited:
Solution
Your build should not exceed about ~350 watts draw from the wall at max load, and usually 100W lower than that under typical gaming loads...

We will have to assume the RX580 (180-200 watts max) might have quite rapid changes in current levels that might have exposed weak points in the previous PSU...; even an overclocked 3600 under torturous rendering loads should only draw 140 watts max. (was your PSU new, or from an earlier build and possibly several years old already?

I'd see no problem as is with a (good) 650 watt PSU, as I 'd always rather have 200-300 watts capacity to spare on potential load than run a PSU at 80% of it's max all the time...

I've used an inexpensive Corsair CX600 for 3 years on my OC'd 7700K/GTX1060 for 3.5...
Your build should not exceed about ~350 watts draw from the wall at max load, and usually 100W lower than that under typical gaming loads...

We will have to assume the RX580 (180-200 watts max) might have quite rapid changes in current levels that might have exposed weak points in the previous PSU...; even an overclocked 3600 under torturous rendering loads should only draw 140 watts max. (was your PSU new, or from an earlier build and possibly several years old already?

I'd see no problem as is with a (good) 650 watt PSU, as I 'd always rather have 200-300 watts capacity to spare on potential load than run a PSU at 80% of it's max all the time...

I've used an inexpensive Corsair CX600 for 3 years on my OC'd 7700K/GTX1060 for 3.5 years without a stutter (although under load is probably only 250 watts peak as is), and a friend has used a newer CX650M without issue on his 9700K build....

(If you want sufficient power for a potential drop in of a 3080 or similar in the future, I'd go with a 750 watts unit...)

Reactions: Iosiv
Solution
Aug 22, 2020

I've used an inexpensive Corsair CX600 for 3 years on my OC'd 7700K/GTX1060 for 3.5 years without a stutter (although under load is probably only 250 watts peak as is), and a friend has used a newer CX650M without issue on his 9700K build....

(If you want sufficient power for a potential drop in of a 3080 or similar in the future, I'd go with a 750 watts unit...)
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the CV650 PSU is brand new. I'm up for some updates in the future so I want at least 650W, the problem is that those 3 models up there are the only (decent) ones available in my local market right now.