Jun 19, 2021
Pls halp me :)

I was helping a buddy of mine diagnose his streamlabs crashing problems.... So I had him install visual c++ redistributables... ( https://github.com/StreamlabsSupport/Streamlabs-OBS#install-visual-c-redistributable )

He installed those and I also had him update his drivers.

He then restarted his pc... It wouldn't turn on. He then proceeded to tell me that he didn't have the "actual" version of windows 10. He was stuck at the windows 10 loading screen for awhile and then it told him that he had a corrupted version of windows... But he doesn't have "actual" windows 10.

So, how does one repair a non "actual" version of windows 10?

The goal is to keep all his files and data.

I feel really bad because I was the one walking him through all this, I had no idea he didn't have the "actual" version of windows. Now he is worries that all his stuff is going to be deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The only method to repair a "not actual" version of Windows is to go to Microsoft, download the official version to .iso or USB and wipe/install.
The official version will work for ~30 days before throwing up a watermark to activate. You can purchase keys from any number of reputable retailers, including MS.

We can't help with pirate software.

Jun 19, 2021
What is the best damage control here. How should I proceed?

He thinks he has a restore point, but he believes it's too recent and it is with the corrupted file that caused everything to go haywire.

There's gotta be a way.

USAFRet

Titan
The official version will work for ~30 days before throwing up a watermark to activate. You can purchase keys from any number of reputable retailers, including MS.
Actually, no...not 30 days.

The watermark can appear almost immediately. And after that, not all the time.
I have a Win 10 Pro install in a VM to test exactly this.

And I've done a couple other install, just to verify when the watermark shows.
Some times not for a week or two, sometimes the next day.
There is o "30 day".

And, except for the watermark and some customization, they work exactly as activated, seemingly forever.
My VM install was stood up Dec 8 2016. Still runs the same as Day 1.

And the watermark is not there all the time.
I just started up the VM (was on vacation for a couple weeks)...no watermark. It will appear again in a day or two. Then go away again.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Actually, no...not 30 days.

The watermark can appear almost immediately. And after that, not all the time.
I have a Win 10 Pro install in a VM to test exactly this.

And I've done a couple other install, just to verify when the watermark shows.
Some times not for a week or two, sometimes the next day.
There is o "30 day".

And, except for the watermark and some customization, they work exactly as activated, seemingly forever.
My VM install was stood up Dec 8 2016. Still runs the same as Day 1.

I can't say the last time I used one in a VM, and all my OS are licensed versions. I thought I recalled it being 30 days, thank you for the correction.

USAFRet

Titan
So, how does one repair a non "actual" version of windows 10?

The goal is to keep all his files and data.
First off, he (and everyone) NEEDS to have a known good backup of any files they do nto wish to lose.
At all times.

Whatever 'fix' may be involved here...it may lead to a full reinstall.
Your data should never be vulnerable to loss from a reinstall, dead drive, virus.