geektoid

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
I need help.

So recently I upgraded (see: mostly new build) my PC with newer parts. I say newer since it's a combo of new and used parts. Problem I'm having is only ONE stick of RAM is reading. When I put two sticks in, the computer turns on, but won't boot at all. And I'm getting a continuous long beep. Works fine with one stick though. Reason I'm posting is I can't find here, or anywhere else, my particular problem. You'll find out why in a moment.

Let's first give a run down of everything I got.

MOBO - MSI z390- Gaming Plus
CPU - i5-9600K
CPU COOLER - Corsair h60 Hydra series
RAM - Viper 16GB DDR4 3000mhz (2x8GB)
POWER - EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze
GRAPHICS - EVGA GTX 960 OC Edition
STORAGE - WD 3D NAND 500GB SSD

Power I'm carrying over from last build (works great), as well as graphics (still works great, though outdated by now). Mobo is new. RAM is new, and Storage is new. The only thing that is not new is the CPU, was was returned to a local Fry's and bought used. This may be a factor, but want some opinions first since it's a memory issue I'm having, ultimately. As stated above, only one stick of 8GB RAM is working. When I try to install the second stick, the machine begins running, but can't boot, and continuous long beeps ensue. I've taken out the Ram and re-settled it. I've tried all configurations (Mobo says A2/B2, but I've also did A1/B1, A1/A2, A1/B2...etc...you get the picture). Nada. I take out the CPU and reset it (no pins are broken, but there does seem to be either dirt, or very light browning on a small part near one of the edges, but the chip seems to work fine when booted, and can even be overclocked to 4.5ghz easily). So, I took one stick out, and left the 8GB in there and got right into BIOS. First thing I did was update BIOS. Nothing. Then I turned on XMP mode and maxed the settings. I turned off the computer put the Stick back in, and ZILCH. NADA. See, this is where my story begins to differ since everyone else's problems with the similar issue seems to be turning on XMP and their issues are solved. Not mine. See the MSI motherboard is the SECOND MOBO I've tried this on. The first was a Gigabyte z390 UD, and I did everything with that that I did with this. I returned the RAM sticks (they were new) and got even NEWER sticks (same make and model). Nope, not Ram, so then I switched the Mobo out with the MSI. I even cleaned the RAM sockets and Sticks both times through. Nope. I doubled, triple, and deci-checked the compatibility with Mobo and Chipset and there's really zero reason why this shouldn't be working. Everything is more than compatible. SO, it's either a CPU problem, or possible Power Problem...though I don't see why the Power Supply would be screwing up the memory.

The other thing I've come across is that, the i5 9600k has a RAM type of ddr4-2666...but that shouldn't even matter, since it's an overclockable chip. So my guess is, the CPU may have been returned for a reason, but since it boots with the single Stick, I'm wondering if maybe there's another issue I'm missing?

LET'S REVIEW (because I'm trying to avoid somebody asking me redundancies)

• Only 1 Stick of Ram is working.
  • BIOS was updated.
  • RAM re-configured, seated, and cleaned.
-CPU was reseated.
  • RAM was replaced
  • Did tests again.
  • Motherboard was replaced.
  • Did tests again (BIOS, XMP enabled, the works)
  • Still not booting with two sticks installed.

Anyways, and I say this with the utmost humility and valor...HELP!!!

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
What you should do is take that 1 8gb stick you have in that IS working, and replace that with the other stick that wasn't working. At least you can check to see if that other stick is faulty or not. I had the same problem when one of my modules wouldn't work and had to troubleshoot it by eliminating the memory slot position for now. If it boots up fine then your next best bet would be to download a free memory checking software called memTest. Then you let that run for about 12-24 hours and will verify for certain if you have a faulty memory module in one of your sticks. Good luck!

Reactions: geektoid

geektoid

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
So the first time around I did that, and it seemed like faulty memory, so I returned it to Fry's. Got a new pair, returned home, and when the same problem arose, I figured maybe it was a board issue, which is when I returned the board. Got new board, and when the issue arose again, I didn't even THINK to test each stick out like last time because I figured "No way could there be the same problem with a new set...

But alas, tried it out, and YEP, another set of faulty sticks. So I'm guessing either I had a string of bad luck, or Fry's unknowingly gave me back the set I returned...which would be rather unfortunate. I've been using Viper Sticks for a while, and they're good solid performers, so it's hard for me to believe the same issue arose on two different kits, so I'm leaning more towards a mistake on Fry's behalf.

Either way, I traded up for a pair of Corsair Vengeance cards, and they're working beautifully.