Question Computer saying there's less space on a drive than there actually is

MechaManDan

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2015
I'm in a bit of a pickle with my computer and idk if anybody else had this problem so I figured I'd ask. So my D drive (which is my storage) just suddenly started saying it has 100kb free despite me not adding anything to it, and last night it had like 40 or 50gb free. I tried deleting something that was 2 or 3gb and the number didn't change at all, it's still at the same 100kb. Because the situation is so specific to describe it's impossible to google.

I tried using CCleaner. I tried using Disk Cleanup. I tried scanning with BitDefender and Malwarebytes. Nothing.

There is factually at least 40gb of open space in my storage but I can't install anything because my computer thinks it's full.

OS is Windows 10, the D Drive is a 1TB mechanical Western Digital but I don't know exactly which one, it's a couple years old at this point. idk if it helps but my boot drive is a Samsung SSD and I believe it was128gb?

Anybody know what this could possibly be?

MechaManDan

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2015
I'm gonna be honest I didn't know that folder so much as existed before asking here. I just checked it and it's kinda intimidating being a bunch of folders inside it all with numbers. Is there a way to manage it and trim down the space?

And yeah I do need to offload some stuff from my C drive, that part's just been me being lazy ngl.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm gonna be honest I didn't know that folder so much as existed before asking here. I just checked it and it's kinda intimidating being a bunch of folders inside it all with numbers. Is there a way to manage it and trim down the space?

And yeah I do need to offload some stuff from my C drive, that part's just been me being lazy ngl.
Turn the File History thing OFF.