navodit14

Honorable
May 20, 2018
Hello,

I've a Corsair RM850 psu. By mistake, I used the CPU power cable to connect to GPU's power connector. As soon as I turned the PC on, there was a short circuit (with a pop sound) in the PSU.

So now the pc is not starting. Has the PSU completely died, or is it reparable? Would it be covered under warranty? Is my GPU or other parts safe, or they might have fried too?

Thanks in advance for any help

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That means you put 12V on one of the grounds going into the GPU, that is not good.

If you heard a pop, the PSU has probably popped its fuse at a minimum. This is not user serviceable. You can reach out to Corsair for that.

Until you get a replacement PSU, no telling how much damage was done.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

navodit14

Honorable
May 20, 2018
Thanks for responding. Should I contact Corsair for this, or can I get it to my local repair guy as it might be faster? My work is on hold because of this.

Would this be covered under warranty?

navodit14

Honorable
May 20, 2018
That means you put 12V on one of the grounds going into the GPU, that is not good.

If you heard a pop, the PSU has probably popped its fuse at a minimum. This is not user serviceable. You can reach out to Corsair for that.

Until you get a replacement PSU, no telling how much damage was done.
Replied above

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Simply buy a new power supply if you are pressed for time. That will at least let you test if the system still works. If it doesn't, repair just means swapping out components until it works. If you are lucky the PSU protected the system, if not you may be replacing a lot of things.

You can do an RMA with Corsair, but given it was user error I doubt it would be free. They may opt to repair it for a fee, or refuse service.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

navodit14

Honorable
May 20, 2018
Simply buy a new power supply if you are pressed for time. That will at least let you test if the system still works. If it doesn't, repair just means swapping out components until it works. If you are lucky the PSU protected the system, if not you may be replacing a lot of things.

You can do an RMA with Corsair, but given it was user error I doubt it would be free. They may opt to repair it for a fee, or refuse service.
Do you think GPU is fried too? Or even worse, more components?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The only way to find out is to test with a working system.

If you are lucky the GPU has circuitry to protect itself from this relatively common mistake. Most motherboards seem to have protection for 8-pin PCIe being plugged into the EPS connector, but that is also a safer scenario, putting a ground where 12V is expected.

I agree, they should have moved everything over to the EPS standard when the six pin was found to be inadequate. Same goes for the new 12VHPWR, it could easily have just been dual EPS for the larger cards and single EPS for the smaller ones.