Chris_264

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2016
I'm in a bit of a pickle here.
I ordered a 24gb Tesla M40 for machine learning, and while it works perfectly fine in my main system, (7950x3d, MPG b650i edge wifi)
It refuses to allow the Precision 5820 it's meant for to boot, or even output video through the NVS 510 that ALSO 100% works.

Currently the m40 is being powered with a 500w thermaltake PSU that I've jumped with a paperclip. It's definitely not a power issue, since the same setup functions and outputs video (As well as posting to the OS lock screen) with my RTX 4070.
I know this isn't a supported card on the list, but I'm at my wits end here.
I've tested the card in a DL380p G8, and even as far back as a Dell R710, which failed as well. At that point I assumed it was an issue of the riser cards not giving the system the correct device ID because they weren't the dedicated risers for GPUs.

Is it possible to brute force this? Maybe even a way to spoof the device ID to read as say, an RTX 3090 that's on the support list and has the same amount of video memory?
I really don't want to have to send the card back, because I'm not sure what else I could get that has the same amount of VRAM for the whole $100 I paid for it lol.

Thanks guys.

kanewolf

Titan
I'm in a bit of a pickle here.
I ordered a 24gb Tesla M40 for machine learning, and while it works perfectly fine in my main system, (7950x3d, MPG b650i edge wifi)
It refuses to allow the Precision 5820 it's meant for to boot, or even output video through the NVS 510 that ALSO 100% works.

Currently the m40 is being powered with a 500w thermaltake PSU that I've jumped with a paperclip. It's definitely not a power issue, since the same setup functions and outputs video (As well as posting to the OS lock screen) with my RTX 4070.
I know this isn't a supported card on the list, but I'm at my wits end here.
I've tested the card in a DL380p G8, and even as far back as a Dell R710, which failed as well. At that point I assumed it was an issue of the riser cards not giving the system the correct device ID because they weren't the dedicated risers for GPUs.

Is it possible to brute force this? Maybe even a way to spoof the device ID to read as say, an RTX 3090 that's on the support list and has the same amount of video memory?
I really don't want to have to send the card back, because I'm not sure what else I could get that has the same amount of VRAM for the whole $100 I paid for it lol.

Thanks guys.
I know when we purchased M cards at work the R720 was the first Dell server that you could get them certified for. I thought it was for thermal issues, but maybe there was something else.

Chris_264

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2016
I know when we purchased M cards at work the R720 was the first Dell server that you could get them certified for. I thought it was for thermal issues, but maybe there was something else.
Unfortunately it seems like this card is just fundamentally incompatible.
Seems like I'll have to settle for a much less powerful card with half the VRAM :cautious:
If consumer boards can support just about any PCIE card you throw at them, why can't enterprise class boards do the same?
I guess it probably has something to do with certification?

Annoying lol.