jadenwoolworth

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
This seems to be a common problem but I've tried every fix and spent hours monitoring my hardware utilization and fps but have seen absolutely no results. I like to play Destiny 2 and my frames are inconsistent between 60 and 80 fps on a 144 Hz monitor. Sometimes I can even have frame skips, but my utilization for GPU, RAM, and CPU remains at around 40-60 percent based on what I'm doing in-game. I've monitored Radeon metrics, Ryzen Master, and CPU Z (To answer a FAQ, I don't have 100% load on any individual core. Highest recorded was 80%). I've also tried about every fix today: I updated chipset drivers, BIOS, and wiped all previous gfx drivers then did clean installs. The original plan was to locate bottlenecks so I could upgrade and stream, but now I just want to utilize the hardware I already have. Specs here.
storage on various high performance SSDs 2 TB total (500+500+1000)
ASUS ROG b-350f Mobo
Ryzen 5 3600
Radeon RX 5700
16GB DDR4 2400 (dual channel confirmed cpu-z)
550 W PSU

jadenwoolworth

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
Did you monitor what limits your GPU. Use MSI afterburner. Then in the graphs looks for the limiting factors in the very bottom while playing the game. It might be due to a power. But see from there.
Just did a few tests and in MSI afterburner in the hardware monitor, the "Power, W" graph reads 70-80 having some peaks at 100.
"CPU Power, W" is using 40-45 W pretty consistently
I can't imagine that my computer consumes 400W for motherboard, ram and storage though. Thanks for the idea though, had no idea about Afterburner and will definitely use it in the future because it has a lot of metrics I've been looking for.

Edit: I'm going to bed now. It's super late where I am. Hopefully I'll have some answers in the morning.

I don't have 100% load on any individual core. Highest recorded was 80%).
How did you check? If you use task manager, or any tool that works the same way, they show you usage over time and since threads get juggled around all cores all the time 80% usage could mean 100% of one thread and 60% for a second one.
You have to use a tool like process hacker, double clock on the game exe go to threads tab and that will allow you to look at every single thread's usage individually.

Nuwan Fernando

Distinguished
Just did a few tests and in MSI afterburner in the hardware monitor, the "Power, W" graph reads 70-80 having some peaks at 100.
"CPU Power, W" is using 40-45 W pretty consistently
I can't imagine that my computer consumes 400W for motherboard, ram and storage though. Thanks for the idea though, had no idea about Afterburner and will definitely use it in the future because it has a lot of metrics I've been looking for.

Edit: I'm going to bed now. It's super late where I am. Hopefully I'll have some answers in the morning.

In MSI Afterburner, Enable the OSD and include the metrics you want to OSD. Then you can keep an eye on it while playing the games to see what's going on on the background.

Look for the limiters at the end on the graphs to see what is the parameter of hitting the boost limit for your GPU whether it is the power the temps or the voltage to get an idea everything is working as it should.

And if you think it solves your problem, you can mark it as the solution.

jadenwoolworth

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
How did you check? If you use task manager, or any tool that works the same way, they show you usage over time and since threads get juggled around all cores all the time 80% usage could mean 100% of one thread and 60% for a second one.
You have to use a tool like process hacker, double clock on the game exe go to threads tab and that will allow you to look at every single thread's usage individually.
you can roll your mouse acros the graphs and it tells you the usage over time. Only one core reached 80% but normally the cores sat from 40-70%.

jadenwoolworth

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
In MSI Afterburner, Enable the OSD and include the metrics you want to OSD. Then you can keep an eye on it while playing the games to see what's going on on the background.

Look for the limiters at the end on the graphs to see what is the parameter of hitting the boost limit for your GPU whether it is the power the temps or the voltage to get an idea everything is working as it should.

And if you think it solves your problem, you can mark it as the solution.
  1. OSD won't work no matter what I do. I keep checking the box and trying to use hotkeys but I still can't get it to show up on either of my monitors. Ane yes, I'm hitting apply.
  2. Is there any way I can determine this with the graphs (hardware monitor on second display)?
  3. When you say look for limiters do you mean by analysis or will it tell me what's limiting me? From what I can tell on the graphs everything is low. Power consumption, teperatures, usage, everything.
Edit: Just noticed commit charge MB is always at it's maximum (around 15600). Could this be contributing to my fps? it drops to 14200 in menus.

Last edited:

jadenwoolworth

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
If that's from MSI then that is showing you an average, it's not the actual usage.
no, it's not an average. In the hardware monitor you can drag your mouse across the graph and place it on usage peaks. The highest was 80 percent on only one of the cores. I'm doing it right now and it shows me about 40-60 percent usage as I wipe across and sometimes it spikes and I see 80. Even if this is the average over 1 second of usage it wouldn't explain why I have consistently low framerate.

jadenwoolworth

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
My screen overlay is working without a problem. But I still run on windows 10.

View: https://imgur.com/a/vHXSMSu

You can see what is limiting your GPU boost from here. The limiting factor will show as 1 in here.
Sorry this thread is becoming so ridicuous. I don't have the option to view any of those limit graphs (temp limit, power limit, voltage limit). My afterburner actually looks a little bit different. I'll attach a picture showing everything I'm using. To ensure we're on the same page, I don't see those limit graphs in monitoring tab of properties even when scrolling.
Something I think is important to note: when I reach an area of downtime in the game, resource usage drops, but framerate only goes up to 80-90 fps. Obviously I'm requesting 144 from the system but it doesn't seem to care that much to reach that point. I find it weird that the computer is reducing the amount of resources used (including all cpu cores and gpu usage, lower temps and power consumption) but still not reaching the FPS limit.

Edit: there is some error adding the image to the post. Here's a link to the image: View: https://imgur.com/onIBVxY

jadenwoolworth

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
I'm using the classic skin. Maybe those limits are shown only for Nvidia GPUs. Sorry.

Another thing I noticed though, AMD site recommending a 600W PSU for the Rx-5700. So, if the temperatures are good, it might need more juice to push that card to its limit.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-5700
I think you've given me an idea. I believe it could be my psu is damaged. It has a "silent mode" fan switch which I've always used. I thought that my performance felt as if it was declining over the past year or so but I put it to the hedonic treadmill (always wishing for better than I've got). After staring at these graphs for a while you can see earlier my CPU and GPU wattage theoretically never could have passed a cumulative 150W. Obviously power goes elsewhere but we're talking about the two most power intensive parts using less than 1/3 of all of the power that should be available. I'll be out of town during the next week, but I will do some testing with a psu from my local best buy when I return. I'd also like to hear your input on that plan of action.
Thanks for all your help. I've been thinking about getting a better cpu cooler and some case fans as well so it's a trip I've been waiting to make for a while.

jadenwoolworth

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
This is a revival thread, I had to leave for two weeks and nobody would respond any longer. The old thread is here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ll-resources-running-at-around-40-60.3753250/

This seems to be a common problem but I've tried every fix and spent hours monitoring my hardware utilization and fps but have seen absolutely no results. I like to play Destiny 2 and my frames are inconsistent between 60 and 80 fps on a 144 Hz monitor. Sometimes I can even have frame skips, but my utilization for GPU, RAM, and CPU remains at around 40-60 percent based on what I'm doing in-game. I've monitored Radeon metrics, Ryzen Master, MSI Afterburner, and CPU Z (To answer a FAQ, I don't have 100% load on any individual core. Highest recorded was 80%). Thermals are fine, and as expected wattage, utilization (%), and clockspeed are low. I've also tried about every fix today: I updated chipset drivers, BIOS, and wiped all previous gfx drivers then did clean installs. The original plan was to locate bottlenecks so I could upgrade and stream, but now I just want to utilize the hardware I already have. Specs here.
storage on various high performance SSDs 2 TB total (500+500+1000)

ASUS ROG b-350f Mobo
Ryzen 5 3600
Radeon RX 5700
16GB DDR4 2400 (dual channel confirmed cpu-z)
700 W PSU

Lutfij

Titan
Make and models of all the PSU's you've worked with thus far? Wattage isn't the only factor that drives the health of a system. You're asked to look into reliably built units for peace of mind(and a sound investment plan for your build).