Question Game stuttering after 45 minutes of stutter free gaming

Bixmox

Prominent
Mar 12, 2019
Hello.
I have been experiencing some major stutters or small freezes in games after 45 minutes of problem-free gaming on my decently specced laptop.

My specs are:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (The one I am using obviously)
Video Card #2: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
RAM: 12 GB
Operating System: Windows 10

I am really confused by this issue as I can't really figure it out, I have even tried resetting my PC with no result. My GPU is up to date as well.
I can attach log files of sorts if that is needed but you will need to tell me which and how to receive them.

Thanks.

Bixmox

Prominent
Mar 12, 2019
Check temperatures - cpu and gpu;
Check ram usage. Your system may be getting low on ram.

Use MSI Afterburner for monitoring temps and ram usage.

Have you checked the temperatures? You can get them using Core Temp or HWinfo etc. Check the temperatures when you have been gaming for a while and if possible when the stutter occurs

PPTgx4q.png
tXNvWOV.png

They don't look too bad do they?

McLovinHawaii

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2014
In general that's the problem with gaming laptops. They just can't get rid of the heat. It's close to 90c and that's probably why your CPU is throttling causing your game to stutter. Cooling pads might work but it might also not.. in my experience, it probably won't. Your best bet is to undervolt and hope for a decrease in temperature enough to keep the system run stable

Here's a good guide on howto undervolt your laptop
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DX1UJa65JM

Last edited:

Bixmox

Prominent
Mar 12, 2019
In general that's the problem with gaming laptops. They just can't get rid of the heat. It's close to 90c and that's probably why your CPU is throttling causing your game to stutter. Cooling pads might work but it might also not.. in my experience, it probably won't. Your best bet is to undervolt and hope for a decrease in temperature enough to keep the system run stable

Thanks will try

Stuttering is usually caused by a lack of cpu performance.
Stuttering after a while is usually a heat issue.
HWmonitor will give you the current, minimum and max temperatures.
If you see the max was ever near 100c, you were probably throttling.

Not too much you can do about it.
Laptop coolers need to be small and light. They have limited cooling capability.

See that your cooling pathways are clear of dust.
On occasion, re pasting the cooler can help, but I would not hope for much.

Your performance in games is not likely to need top cpu performance.
To avoid stuttering, go to windows settings/power plan/advanced/processor performance.
Try REDUCING the max performance from 100% to a lesser number and see how you do.

Bixmox

Prominent
Mar 12, 2019
Stuttering is usually caused by a lack of cpu performance.
Stuttering after a while is usually a heat issue.
HWmonitor will give you the current, minimum and max temperatures.
If you see the max was ever near 100c, you were probably throttling.

Not too much you can do about it.
Laptop coolers need to be small and light. They have limited cooling capability.

See that your cooling pathways are clear of dust.
On occasion, re pasting the cooler can help, but I would not hope for much.

Your performance in games is not likely to need top cpu performance.
To avoid stuttering, go to windows settings/power plan/advanced/processor performance.
Try REDUCING the max performance from 100% to a lesser number and see how you do.
I think I managed to get the temperature down from 92c or more to 80c or less by undervolting, so if you think my stutter issue is heat-related I might have solved that issue now.
I definitely believe that the CPU is powerful enough to run the games I am playing since it works fine for almost an hour.

I'll have to play again and see if undervolting helped.

Bixmox

Prominent
Mar 12, 2019

In terms of reducing heat, this was an absolute lifesaver. Easily went from 90 or more celsius to 80 or less celsius under intel's stress test.

I'll have to play and see if this fixed the issue.

Bixmox

Prominent
Mar 12, 2019

Did not help sadly, any other ideas?

Bixmox

Prominent
Mar 12, 2019
Sometimes games need to load such things as graphics textures from the game files.
This is perhaps 50x slower from a hard drive than from a ssd.
Then, also, laptop hard drives may be a slower 5400rpm than the normal desktop 7200rpm. These are used to conserve battery power.
Nope, it is 7200rpm.