kalern123

Reputable
Feb 2, 2017
Hey!

So I've been struggling with my new computer. When booting up I get a error message that says GPT header corruption detected. What could have caused this?

Does anyone know what to do? I have no idea, I understand it has something to do with the SSD M.2 or memory in general.

kalern123

Reputable
Feb 2, 2017
hi, gpt has two tables, one current and another for backup, if CRC doesnt match it will report u that its corrupt

which OS are u using? linux or windows?
Windows 10!

Okay, I don't understand much of that to be honest, but it's inconsistent. It doesn't always show up. I thought it could be a faulty M.2 chip? Is that unlikely?

kalern123

Reputable
Feb 2, 2017
welll windows should be able to repair it on its own
improper pc shutdowns can do corruptions
u could als test your ram if there are no errors
Well, like I said it seems a bit inconsistent, I saw someone on reddit who only got this error while his External harddrives were connected. When he disconnected these he didn't get any errors. I'm aware that inproper shutdowns could cause corruptions, so i'm very careful about that.

Test my ram? Like unplug them and put them back in? All my Ram cards shows up and seem to work nicely 32/32GB.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
GPT inconsistency is really alarming. Please check your boot drive with Crytaldiskinfo, see if there is any sort of error message. GPT is not something subject to change between boots, so its inconsistency could point a lot more serious errors.

kalern123

Reputable
Feb 2, 2017
GPT inconsistency is really alarming. Please check your boot drive with Crytaldiskinfo, see if there is any sort of error message. GPT is not something subject to change between boots, so its inconsistency could point a lot more serious errors.
I downloaded it, there's nothing that indicates anything wrong. And after a windows update I haven't recieved any GPT header corruption. I don't know if it will come back though.

lynx1021

Distinguished
Well, like I said it seems a bit inconsistent, I saw someone on reddit who only got this error while his External harddrives were connected. When he disconnected these he didn't get any errors. I'm aware that inproper shutdowns could cause corruptions, so i'm very careful about that.

Test my ram? Like unplug them and put them back in? All my Ram cards shows up and seem to work nicely 32/32GB.
Test your ram with Mtest86
Create a bootable CD-ROM, Or a bootable USB

Memtest 86 http://www.memtest86.com/technical.htm

You have to extract it and burn it as an ISO " for the CD

Guide to using Memtest86+

https://www.wikihow.com/Test-PC-RAM-with-MemTest86