CapsLuke

Honorable
Jan 7, 2017
so here's the story, if you don't wanna read it all here's the TL;DR: after a crash occurred (radeonsoftware.exe) fans stopped spinning , report stuck at 65k rpm, constant amdkmdap errors in event viewer, choppy movements and such. all fixed after reseat and driver reinstall via DDU, and fresh windows install, but fans never started back again, any software i used.
HERE'S THE FULL STORY:
i was playing the division 2 (which is really demanding in 1440p at high/ultra settings) when i lost video signal and the drivers crashed. i had to hard shutdown and reboot as i was stuck on a black screen. after reboot i noticed that radeon software wouldn't start up, and if i tried to run it manually only the frame would pop up but no software at all. so second reboot. same story. then everything started being laggy with hiccups (which were reported in event viewer as "display drivers has stopped working and has successfully recovered", amdkmdap error). alright, time to DDU. so i went safe mode (minimal, no internet, no drivers, no nothing), ran DDU, wiped out all the drivers, unplugged ethernet cable, rebooted into normal windows, installed amd drivers 20.4.1 (latest), and from a smooth "standard display adapter" experience, i was back to the laggy mess of drivers stopping and restarting. I am using a raiser cable so i wondered maybe it's too much folded, maybe it's loose or something, so removed it, placed the card right in the pcie slot, reboot. same story (note that i use pcie 3.0 on the pcie slot because the riser cable isn't pcie 4.0 certified and i previously had issues like VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE), so unplugged cables from psu and replugged them. replugged cables in the gpu, changed psu cable entry, multiple reseating of gpu... nothing worked (i eventually even got a video_scheduler_internal_error bsod at a certain point). ok, time to fresh windows install. wiped out every previous partition of my os drive, installed windows on the unallocated ssd space, downloaded drivers, installed. fine it was fluid this time, no display drivers errors, radeon software starting with windows ,everything looked normal. well then, time for some the division 2 again. installed the game, updated directx, vc redist and all that stuff, fire up uplay and here we go. framerate kept going down, and temepratures eventually reached 103 C. 103 C?? yes fan weren't spinning, so immediately closed the game, shut down pc, let the card cool, power back up and went up into the radeon software for fan tuning. 65k rpm. nice. no setting worked, there was literally no way to turn them on, neither with afterburner or any other third party software, that i eventually uninstalled later to isolate the problem. swapped psu with one i am sure works, same story. removed sticks of ram, same story (2 sticks are also new, and all 4 of them were tested in memtest86 for 4 hours like three weeks ago). cpu cool and in nice temps (aio 240mm liquid cooler). also tried the secondary pcie slot, same issue. bios obviously to the latest version. i looked it up and the fan stuff seemed pretty xfx related, so i even flashed the vbios of the card with a "working one" provided by xfx. nothing, still same issue. everything is fine now except for the fans. they just don't turn on i think i've tried everything and at this point i fear is either my motherboard dead or my gpu. checked on device manager for troubles on the pcie slots, maybe they got fried, but everything looks fine, no warnings or errors whatsoever. and here i am, having finished all my options asking for help.
here's my full config if needed:
mobo => MSI x570 MPG gaming edge WIFI
cpu => Ryzen 7 3700X @stock
cpu cooler => CoolerMaster ML240R Rgb 240mm AIO liquid cooler
ram => g.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) @3200Mhz CL16
ssd (OS) => sabrent rocket 4 500GB Nvme SSD Pcie 4.0
ssd (games) => Kingston SSD 240GB
hdd (data and games) => WD Blue 1TB 7200 rpm 64Mb cache
gpu => AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT XFX Thicc II @stock
PSU => Corsair RM 750X 80+ Gold Full Modular ATX PSU (tried also a ThermalTake ToughPower Grand RGB 650W 80+ gold Full modular ATX PSU)

i am quite out of options here, so thanks in advance for any help :)

CapsLuke

Honorable
Jan 7, 2017

CapsLuke

Honorable
Jan 7, 2017
[update]
I returned the card and added a few bucks to the refund and got myself a rx 5700 xt powercolor red devil. Now everything is fine again. Fans adjusting is perfect. Butter smooth experience, no lag, no stutters, nothing. It was the xfx gpu.
I always thought that sapphire and xfx made the best amd cards, but this time xfx made some really bad ones, powercolor took its place for me. Sapphire still remains the top one imo.