vainsy

Prominent
Oct 27, 2018
Hey so I am building a new PC around the 3080 and since it is looking more than likely that Intel is the better CPU to pair with the card I am thinking of getting an Intel CPU. Unless 1440p benchmarks come out and show that there is no difference between Ryzen and Intel at that resolution I will go Ryzen.

However, if it turns out I am better off going Intel, I would like to have a board that is ready for PCIe 4 (both GPU's and SSD's) so that when Rocket Lake-S rolls around I can take advantage of that.

*On a side note if I get a PCIe 4 compatible SSD is it the same as GPU's in the sense that it would work in a PCIe 3 slot just at a slower speed? - Once again asking for the same reasons as MOBO.

Cheers!

Solution
Rocket Lake-S is only rumoured to be PCIe4.0, and some MB vendors stuck their neck out claiming support would be coming. As far as I know, that hasn't changed. So put simply, it's not 'fact' until Intel launch the corresponding CPUs.

AMD pre 500 series chipsets could theoretically support it too (and a couple did, briefly), but AMD choose not to, so it's not necessarily a done deal.

4.0 is marketing and nothing more at this stage, with respect to GPUs. 3.0 x8 was barely exhausted by a 2080TI - There's not going to be double the bandwidth required (to x16 3.0) this generation.

SSDs will 'work' on 3.0, sure. The speeds are theoretical maxes though, and only select workloads will even see a benefit going to 4.0 devices...
Hey so I am building a new PC around the 3080 and since it is looking more than likely that Intel is the better CPU to pair with the card I am thinking of getting an Intel CPU. Unless 1440p benchmarks come out and show that there is no difference between Ryzen and Intel at that resolution I will go Ryzen.

However, if it turns out I am better off going Intel, I would like to have a board that is ready for PCIe 4 (both GPU's and SSD's) so that when Rocket Lake-S rolls around I can take advantage of that.

*On a side note if I get a PCIe 4 compatible SSD is it the same as GPU's in the sense that it would work in a PCIe 3 slot just at a slower speed? - Once again asking for the same reasons as MOBO.

Cheers!
For PCIe 4 you will need and AMD Ryzen MB, b550 or x570.
Yes an PCIe 4 NVME will work on PCIe v3 speeds.

Many, if not most Z490 motherboards advertise pcie 4.0 support with a bios update.
It is probably a moot point from the point of view of graphics performance on 3080.

On the ssd front, pcie4/3 performance will show up in sequential performance.
That is not as good as it sounds since most ssd accesses are small random I/O and that will not differ.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Rocket Lake-S is only rumoured to be PCIe4.0, and some MB vendors stuck their neck out claiming support would be coming. As far as I know, that hasn't changed. So put simply, it's not 'fact' until Intel launch the corresponding CPUs.

AMD pre 500 series chipsets could theoretically support it too (and a couple did, briefly), but AMD choose not to, so it's not necessarily a done deal.

4.0 is marketing and nothing more at this stage, with respect to GPUs. 3.0 x8 was barely exhausted by a 2080TI - There's not going to be double the bandwidth required (to x16 3.0) this generation.

SSDs will 'work' on 3.0, sure. The speeds are theoretical maxes though, and only select workloads will even see a benefit going to 4.0 devices over comparable quality 3.0 (hint, it's not gaming)

Reactions: CountMike
Solution