ThatGhilliedGuy

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
Hi there im currently struggling with the performance of my PC, a little while ago I had an issue with the PC being stuck in a boot loop, reseating ram and GPU eventually fixed this. but now the system feels sluggish, I can't game since the display is stuttery although I'm still hitting solid fps. The numbers on the right hand side of the mobo constantly display 98/99, and the nzxt cam shows the CPU clock and load fluctuating like crazy. since I had the earlier mentioned issues I'm led to believe it's the motherboard on its way out but I could be way wrong since I'm not too experienced in PC issues aha! anyone who can help find the source of my problems would be a great help as to whether I rebuild from the ground up or just replace the motherboard should I be able to find one!
Specs - i7 4790k (never oc'd), msi z97 gaming 7 mobo, 24gb ram (2x8 hyper x fury & 2x4 hyper x savage), gtx 1080, 750w psu and a msi 240r aio.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give.

- Matty

Solution
MSI 240r AIO: How old is this component? Are you monitoring your CPU temperatures?

I don't know what numbers you are referring to. But if they are temperatures, yeah, that would be the problem.
Jan 18, 2022
From what I have found in my research, what post code (error code) 99 means is that you power supply is not putting out enough power for you PC components which might explain why your PC is being very iffy, and sluggish, because if you cant get enough power to your components like your keyboard and mouse than they are going to take longer to register an input thus making you PC at high frame rates, feel sluggish. To be honest my personal opinion would be to keep your gtx 1080, case, and storage, but get a new mobo, cpu, ram, and power supply because at this point the i7 that you are rocking is pretty outdated hardware for 2022, being released almost a decade ago. What I would recommend is probably if you can fit it into your budget, a ryzen 5 1600af, a b450 mobo of some sort and a corsair 500w psu, and 16gb of at least 2666mhz ddr4 ram.
Hope this was of some help! :)

Reactions: ThatGhilliedGuy

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
PSU is also a component that is likely well past it life expectancy. If that is a motherboard POST code you are seeing, then that confirms things somewhat.

Still, a lot of reasons for poor power. Could be another component on the way out that is causing the 12V to sag.

One simple thing to do is remove/unplug components until the problem goes away. GPU is a bit of an exception since to properly test it it will consume a lot of power which doesn't rule out either component.

A stuck AIO pump might also draw a lot of current and cause problems. If you have the original CPU cooler, might give that a try. (I know my 4770k came with a cooler, but it was shortly after that that Intel stopped including coolers with K CPUs, so you might not)

Reactions: ThatGhilliedGuy

ThatGhilliedGuy

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
Sorry guys for the late responses to this, had many a thing keep me away from PC side of things for a little while so gave up trying to fix it. Now I'm wanting to game again I'm still struggling with these issues. The aio cooler is only a year or so old, and sounds to be working fine. Temps arent up but I think the motherboard numbers are relating to CPU load? I've tried unplugging the 2x4 kit of savage to see if the motherboard didn't like having a mixed kit all of a sudden. However this was to no avail. The numbers on the side will often drop to around 67 but jump straight back to 98/9. This can be seen even when doing something simple such as watching Netflix or youtube on a single monitor with nothing else open. I've just landed a new job and was debating building a new rig but carrying case, cooler and GPU over but if the bills can be cheaper it would obviously be a bit more ideal. a quick cheap fix to put me buy for a month or two just to get me back into playing some games would be perfect. If anyone can think of what else to try, this would be greatly be appreciated. Cheers
PSU is also a component that is likely well past it life expectancy. If that is a motherboard POST code you are seeing, then that confirms things somewhat.

Still, a lot of reasons for poor power. Could be another component on the way out that is causing the 12V to sag.

One simple thing to do is remove/unplug components until the problem goes away. GPU is a bit of an exception since to properly test it it will consume a lot of power which doesn't rule out either component.

A stuck AIO pump might also draw a lot of current and cause problems. If you have the original CPU cooler, might give that a try. (I know my 4770k came with a cooler, but it was shortly after that that Intel stopped including coolers with K CPUs, so you might not)
From what I have found in my research, what post code (error code) 99 means is that you power supply is not putting out enough power for you PC components which might explain why your PC is being very iffy, and sluggish, because if you cant get enough power to your components like your keyboard and mouse than they are going to take longer to register an input thus making you PC at high frame rates, feel sluggish. To be honest my personal opinion would be to keep your gtx 1080, case, and storage, but get a new mobo, cpu, ram, and power supply because at this point the i7 that you are rocking is pretty outdated hardware for 2022, being released almost a decade ago. What I would recommend is probably if you can fit it into your budget, a ryzen 5 1600af, a b450 mobo of some sort and a corsair 500w psu, and 16gb of at least 2666mhz ddr4 ram.
Hope this was of some help! :)

ThatGhilliedGuy

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
I'm tempted to think the numbers you are seeing are CPU temps. What arr you using to determine that temps are fine?
Try running HWInfo (free) and you can easily monitor temps and voltages
I remember using NZXT CAM when first trying to diagnose the problem. Will check out this software you mention and come back to you shortly.
Cheers mate - Matty

ThatGhilliedGuy

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
I'm tempted to think the numbers you are seeing are CPU temps. What arr you using to determine that temps are fine?
Try running HWInfo (free) and you can easily monitor temps and voltages

Hmm seems you may be right, I could have sworn the temps were okay, https://gyazo.com/95fd7e9d638aaf38f002a8268830c065 shows otherwise. Now I'm rather confused. Would the stuttering be an example of thermal throttling? Im just guessing there as I'm not the most knowledgable when it comes to problem solving in PC's.
Cheers - Matty

ThatGhilliedGuy

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
Yes, you are experiencing thermal throttling. You can first try redoing the thermal paste between the cooler and cpu, and go from there.
Replacing the paste hasnt seemed to work. The aio is plugged into one of the little cooler master argb units so i dont know if thats why maybe and its not running the pump right or if the pumps failed? How would i go about finding this out? Holding a finger on the pump when the pc is on and seeing if i can feel anything? What would you recommend? Cheers - Matty