Oct 3, 2019
So i have a 1050TI, in a small micro atx case with no case fans. It sits below my desk. The temperature of my room is around i'd say 30 - 24 degrees. It reaches max idle temp upto 60 degrees (Fans dont spin casue they start kicking in the mark of 60 degrees). When i am gaming the fans do start up and maintain temperature around 70-75 degrees. But i think my idle temps are really bad, should i change the fan curve? if so in what configuration?
The GPU is from MSI.

Solution
You've pretty much answered your own question - in a sense. 70-75 is damn warm for that kind of card. It's not overheating - that would be at 90C - but you're getting the kind of temps someone running a 2080 Super or RX 5700XT would see.
A 1050Ti is a pretty low power card, and shouldn't run very warm at all. But you've created the scenario for it to do so:
1)No case fans
2)Small form factor case. If the cards fans have an obstacle within an inch of them, they get choked of air.
3)Sits below your desk... in a small cubby or something? Where cool air is even further restricted?
4)If your gpu is like this, then I imagine the cpu is also running rather warm for it's specs...

Changing a fan curve won't fix anything, if there's no real...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You've pretty much answered your own question - in a sense. 70-75 is damn warm for that kind of card. It's not overheating - that would be at 90C - but you're getting the kind of temps someone running a 2080 Super or RX 5700XT would see.
A 1050Ti is a pretty low power card, and shouldn't run very warm at all. But you've created the scenario for it to do so:
1)No case fans
2)Small form factor case. If the cards fans have an obstacle within an inch of them, they get choked of air.
3)Sits below your desk... in a small cubby or something? Where cool air is even further restricted?
4)If your gpu is like this, then I imagine the cpu is also running rather warm for it's specs...

Changing a fan curve won't fix anything, if there's no real access to cool air.
1)Find a better location for the case, where your hardware can draw in fresh air - and not another closed off space where the cpu and gpu recycle their own waste heat.
2)Tight spaces, such as in some SFF cases are where blower style gpu coolers shine! 2 and 3 fan models do not cool as effectively in such spaces. [I'm not expecting you to change your gpu over this, no. This is just FYI.]
3)Add some case fans! You can just do 1 or 2, some is better than none at all! The general orientation is front(bottom is usually optional) as intake, and rear and top as exhaust. Side fans... it depends on the position in the case.

Solution
Oct 3, 2019
1)No case fans

Changing a fan curve won't fix anything, if there's no real access to cool air.
1)Find a better location for the case, where your hardware can draw in fresh air - and not another closed off space where the cpu and gpu recycle their own waste heat.
2)Tight spaces, such as in some SFF cases are where blower style gpu coolers shine! 2 and 3 fan models do not cool as effectively in such spaces. [I'm not expecting you to change your gpu over this, no. This is just FYI.]
3)Add some case fans! You can just do 1 or 2, some is better than none at all! The general orientation is front(bottom is usually optional) as intake, and rear and top as exhaust. Side fans... it depends on the position in the case.

Ok i did try to put in a Case fan, didnt quite help TBH. As the Case is situated under a table, it DOES have substancial open space to breathe, it hovered around 58 degrees, Also was quite noisy. I instead used the Fan curve and it helped me by maintaining a good 40 degrees idle. in 25% fan speed. So i think i am sticking with the Fan curve instead of the Case fan. Do you think running GPU fans in 25% most of the time will reduce much of the fans life?

P.S i had a fan around so i did it in the past hour

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Silence. Well, that explains the no case fan scenario.
Single fan configs do a little better as exhaust instead of intake.

2)I run mine at 50% and they only crank up to 100% when running stress tests.
The fans were tested to run a 100% all the time - what's 25% going to do?

3)Under a table, huh? Ok, that's not nearly as bad as having it stored in a cubby below the desk somewhere.
What's the case?

Last edited: