[SOLVED] I have very high ping when running a Minecraft server, but ping returns to normal after shutting the server down. How do i fix this?

Cameron6399

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
Hi,

So normally I have around 10-20ms ping, ~70Mbps download and ~20Mbps upload. Then whenever I run my server my ping increases to anywhere between 500 and 2000ms.

It's not just Minecraft, it causes discord to lag as well. I can't figure out why this is happening. Any ideas?

Also, I am using a wired ethernet connection and my internet provider is BT.

I'll answer any questions you have in case I have missed any info out.

Thanks

Solution
So go buy a new router and pay BT to come out and test your line. You have to be really sure it is not your PC telling you lies before you troubleshoot the wrong thing. If a second device also is affected then you do have a real network problem if it is not then it is something strange on the PC running the server.
What do you mean by server. Did you just start a program on your machine or is it a separate physical device.

If it is a separate device watch the resource monitor network tab in the server and see how much traffic it is running.

If you have everything all in one machine it could be some issue with capacity on the pc and not a actual network issue. Likely some settings on the minecraft program.

Cameron6399

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
What do you mean by server. Did you just start a program on your machine or is it a separate physical device.

If it is a separate device watch the resource monitor network tab in the server and see how much traffic it is running.

If you have everything all in one machine it could be some issue with capacity on the pc and not a actual network issue. Likely some settings on the minecraft program.
It's run through a .bat file on my PC, the same device i run the game on. I have run server before with PCs worse than my current one.

Specs -

Ryzen 7 2700x
16GB RAM
GTX 1070

It's just the server causing really high ping to my PC but I don't know how to stop it. I've tried shutting down almost every non-essential program/process in task manager and trying it yet it still has very high ping.

Cameron6399

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
The best way to test is to run ping on another device to say 8.8.8.8. If that device has no issues it must be something on the PC itself.
I'm not sure what you mean by this sorry. I don't need to test my ping, I know it high I've already tested and have readings from when I've been playing. I'm just trying to figure out why I'm getting such high ping when playing.

So go buy a new router and pay BT to come out and test your line. You have to be really sure it is not your PC telling you lies before you troubleshoot the wrong thing. If a second device also is affected then you do have a real network problem if it is not then it is something strange on the PC running the server.

Solution